Backing Up Your Store
Whether you are adding new products and images, making a change to your theme, or editing your customer and order information, making backups of your store should be your first priority. Backing up your product, theme, customer, and order information will save you countless hours of work in the event of catastrophic data loss, giving you confidence and peace of mind. These instructions will cover backing up and restoring your product, order, redirects, and customer data. Theme customizations can also be saved and restored. You can also back up your store using the API — see our Dev Center for more information.
Backing Up Your Store
- 301 redirects
- Products and product images
- Theme customizations (Stencil)
- Theme customizations (Blueprint)
1. In Server Settings › 301 Redirects, check the boxes next to the redirects you would like to export. If you want to export all of your 301 redirects, do not check any.
2. Click Export These Redirects.
3. On the following page, select the Default template, then click Continue.
4. Click Export my redirects to a CSV file in the pop-up window. Once it finishes generating your file, click Download my Redirects file.
5. The CSV export file will download to whichever folder you have specified on your browser.
Products and Product Images
1. Go to Products › Export. Select the Bulk Edit template, then click Continue.
2. Click Export my products to a CSV file.
3. A status bar will move across the screen. When it finishes, click Download my Products file to save the file to your computer.
4. Connect to your store using WebDAV. Download the product_images folder by dragging and dropping it to your desktop.
ProTip! Consider copying the other folders from WebDAV to your computer as well, as they may contain business-critical files uploaded by you in the past.
All customer data, except for passwords, can be exported by CSV. Exporting passwords would violate the terms of our PCI Compliance.
1. Go to Customers › Export. Select the Bulk Edit template, then click Continue.
2. Click Export my customers to a CSV file in the pop-up window.
3. A status bar will move across the screen. When it finishes, click the Download customers file to save the file to your computer.
Orders cannot be imported via CSV into BigCommerce, although they can be exported for backups and reports. Our API does allow for orders to be imported and exported — see the Dev Center for more information.
1. Go to Orders › Export. Select the Default template, then click Continue.
2. Click Export my orders to a CSV file in the pop-up window.
3. A status bar will move across the screen. When it finishes, click Download my Orders file to save the file to your computer.
Theme Customizations - Stencil
1. Go to Storefront › My Themes. Click on Advanced, and select the theme version you want to download.
- Download Current Theme — the theme applied to the storefront, containing any edits made in Page Builder
- Download Original Theme — the default theme, without any edits made in Page Builder
- Download Saved Theme — saved theme versions created previously in Page Builder
2. Save the zip file to your computer.
Theme Customizations - Blueprint
1. Go to Storefront › My Themes and click Download Theme.
2. Select whether you want to download Customized files only or All files. You will want to choose Customized files only if you have made changes to your theme.
3. Save the zip file to your computer.
Restoring Your Data
Products and Product Images
If you need to restore your product images as well as product information, connect to WebDAV, then drag and drop the contents of your backed up product_images folder into your existing product_images folder before completing the following steps.
Note that restoring product images will only work on the store those images were on originally. See Importing Product Images if you are transferring images from a different source.
1. Make a copy of your backed up Products file.
2. In the copy, delete the following columns:
- Product ID
- Product URL
3. Go to Products › Import.
4. Select Bulk Edit Re-Import and upload your copy of the backup. There is no need to change any other setting.
5. Click Next, then Next on the following screen. Click Start Import.
6. Once your import is complete, your products will be restored along with their images.
1. Make a copy of your backed up Customers file.
2. Go to Customers › Import.
3. Select Bulk Edit Re-Import and upload your copy of the backup. There is no need to change any other setting.
4. Click Next, then Next on the following screen. Click Start Import.
5. Once your import is complete, your customers will be restored.
Theme Customizations (Stencil)
1. Go to Storefront › My Themes. Click the Upload Theme button by the My Themes heading, below the Current Theme.
2. Drag the zip file into the Upload Theme pop-up window, or you can Select theme from your computer.
3. Once the zip file has uploaded, a theme card will appear under My Themes showing the processing progress. Click Cancel if you want to halt processing and start over.
4. After processing, a new custom theme card will appear under My Themes. If your theme was unable to be successfully processed, you will be presented with a screen detailing any errors encountered. Ensure your theme meets all the custom theme upload requirements.
Theme Customizations (Blueprint)
Before following these steps, make sure that you are using the same theme that was backed up.
1. Extract the files from the zip file.
2. Connect to your store using WebDAV.
3. Drag and drop the contents of the template folder on your computer into the corresponding folders in WebDAV.
4. Refresh your storefront. You should see your customizations take effect immediately.