Selling on Amazon
What We'll Cover
- Sign up for Amazon Seller Central
- The new product list
- Managing listings
- Checking and fulfilling orders from Amazon
- Customer experience on Amazon
- Listing errors and rejected listings
Amazon is the world’s largest online marketplace and is the starting place for 44% of all online purchases, so making your products available there is an important step for growing your business and promoting your brand.
As part of Channel Manager, BigCommerce makes it easy to start listing your products in this leading marketplace.
Did you know? You can find everything you need to start selling and winning on Amazon in The Definitive Guide to Selling on Amazon. This free publication has some of the most complete and actionable information available and provides useful insight to both new merchants and experienced sellers. It's so complete, even the guide itself is for sale on Amazon!
You can tailor your existing BigCommerce products’ data (like name and price) specifically for listing on Amazon, giving you total control over how your products are featured.
Orders from Amazon show up in your BigCommerce control panel and are fulfilled just like your other orders for optimal workflow. Inventory stock levels are automatically synced between your storefront and Amazon in real time.
Amazon maintains a high standard when it comes to product information, so our integration features streamlined error handling to help identify specific product listing issues quickly and in easy-to-understand terms.
- You must have a US-based Amazon Seller Central account (sellercentral.amazon.com) on a Professional Selling Plan.
- FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon, including Amazon Prime) orders are not currently supported.
- You must have a valid bank account. This is so Amazon can pay you for orders placed through their marketplace and you can pay them your monthly subscription fee.
- Only one BigCommerce store can be linked to a single Seller Central account.
- Your store's default currency must be USD.
- You must have shipping to the United States enabled in your shipping settings.
- Both simple products and products with options/variations are supported.
- Only physical products are supported. Downloadable/digital products are not supported.
- For products already available in Amazon’s catalog, a standard UPC, EAN or GTIN identifier is required. ASIN is not currently a supported field in BigCommerce.
- For products not already available in Amazon’s catalog, a unique identifier (MPN or other standard ID) is required.
- UPC is required for all products without a brand or GTIN exemption.
- Product description is limited to 2000 characters.
- Products must have at least one image. The primary image of your product is called the "MAIN" image.
- Images must accurately represent the product and show only the product that's for sale, with minimal or no propping.
- MAIN images must have a pure white background (pure white blends in with the Amazon search and item detail pages - RGB values of 255, 255, 255). A white background for additional images is recommended, but not required.
- MAIN images must show the actual product (not a graphic or illustration), and must NOT show excluded accessories, props that may confuse the customer, text that is not part of the product, or logos/watermarks/inset images.
- The product must fill 85% or more of the image.
- Images should be 1000 pixels or larger in either height or width, as this will enable zoom function on the website (zoom has proven to enhance sales). The smallest your file should be is 500 pixels on the longest side.
- Images should be JPEG (.jpg), or GIF (.gif) file formats. JPEG is preferred.
- A maximum of 8 images is allowed.
- For variants without an image of their own, Amazon will use the main product image.
- See Adding Images for more information on Amazon product image requirements.
- Products must have a brand defined. This can be set at the product level or in the product listing details page.
- If no Default Inventory Level is specified in your Amazon channel settings, products must have Track Inventory by Product enabled in order to list. Amazon listings that run out of stock will show as “Out of Stock” on Amazon.
- Your products must conform to Amazon’s restricted products policies.
- Currently, products can be listed only in these Amazon categories. Additional categories will be available in future updates.
Third-party inventory management: Third-party apps for inventory or order management that create orders and/or decrement inventory in BigCommerce may not be compatible with our built-in Amazon integration and can result in stock being decremented twice.
Sign Up for Amazon Seller Central
Go to Amazon Seller Central to log in or register a seller account. If you don’t already have one, click Register now, then Start your free trial.
Amazon will guide you through the registration process and will ask you to:
- confirm your display name and business address
- specify a valid credit card to pay your Seller Central membership fee
- verify your identity via a phone call or text message
- configure your tax information
- specify a valid bank account so Amazon can pay you
1. Go to Channel Manager, then click Get Started next to Amazon.
2. Scroll down and check each box to indicate you’ve completed the necessary Seller Central Requirements, then click Get Started.
3. Review the Things you should know popup, then click Connect to Amazon.
- There are no additional fees from BigCommerce, however, orders processed through our Amazon integration are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing. Additionally, Amazon may have additional fees unrelated to the BigCommerce integration.
- If you are using third-party apps like ShipStation or Ordoro for order or inventory management that create orders or decrement inventory for this integration, product inventory may be decremented twice.
- When you set up and enable Amazon in Channel Manager, we'll automatically upgrade your product list (Products › View in your control panel). You can opt out of the new product list by disconnecting any channels that use it. However, the new product list and the functionality it provides is necessary if you want to list products and accept orders from those channels in BigCommerce. More on the new product listing view.
- The new product list does not have the ability to toggle Shopping Comparison feeds or list products on the legacy eBay integration. All legacy eBay inventory and order syncs will continue to occur.
4. You'll be forwarded to Amazon.com to sign into your Seller Central account. Once logged in, review the Amazon MWS License Agreement, check the boxes, then click Next.
5. Click Continue to authorize BigCommerce and return to the BigCommerce control panel. When you're done, click Finish Setup.
Map your BigCommerce categories to Amazon categories to streamline listing products onto Amazon. Only the lowest/deepest-level category can be mapped; parent categories cannot be mapped.
Unmapped categories will default to this category when listing.
You can optionally match your BigCommerce categories to their equivalent Amazon categories. This helps ensure your products are listed in the appropriate category. The mapped category can be overridden on the product level by selecting a different one via the Product Listing Details page.
Default Handling Time
Amazon requires handling time to be specified for all products. You can override this setting for individual products via the Product Listing Details page. See the section on Creating Listings below.
Default Inventory Level
Amazon requires inventory levels for product listings. For your BigCommerce products that don't have inventory tracking enabled, we'll use this number as the default available quantity/stock when listing the product on Amazon.
When an order comes in, we'll automatically update these listings' stock levels back to this number.
Default Listing Preferences
You can set the default behavior for existing products on Amazon that correspond to products in your BigCommerce catalog (matched by SKU).Link matching products and send ALL product information
- This option is best suited for merchants who own the brands they are listing.
- All data in the BigCommerce catalog for matching products will be linked including name, description, category, stock, and price.
- Since this setting makes BigCommerce the source of product data "truth", if you change data in Amazon, BigCommerce will overwrite that data upon the next sync. However, this option does not erase any data for fields that exist in Amazon but not BigCommerce (e.g. search terms and keywords).
- You can override product information like Product Name and Description for these products from the Product Listing Details page.
- This option is best suited for merchants who are resellers and don't own the brands they are listing.
- Only stock and price data in the BigCommerce catalog for matching products will be synced to Amazon. This option does not erase any data for fields that exist in Amazon but not BigCommerce (e.g. search terms and keywords).
- On the Product Listing Details page, we will hide all non-required fields for these products (except price).
Brand Listing Preferences
In addition to the default setting, you can also set the listing preference for an individual brand.
This gives BigCommerce full control over all product information for the brands you own, while still being able to send only price and quantity updates for the brands you don’t own.
For example, if you mostly sell your own products, but also offer a few partner products, you would set your default listing preference to send ALL product information, then create a brand listing preference for the partner branded products to send ONLY price and quantity (Update).
Registered and Exempted Brands
Provide your registered or exempted BigCommerce brands so that you can list without standard IDs like UPCs, EANs, or GTINs.
If you register your brand with Amazon, you can list those products without UPCs, EANs, or GTINs. Since we can't check this automatically, you will need to tell us if you've gone through the brand registry process. We will only allow listings associated with this brand to be listed without UPCs, EANs, or GTINs. Learn more about the Amazon Brand Registry.
If you obtain a GTIN exemption from Amazon, you can list a specific brand without UPCs, EANs, or GTINs. Since we can't check this automatically, you will need to tell us if you've received a GTIN exemption. We will only allow listings associated with this brand to be listed without UPCs, EANs, or GTINs. Learn more about GTIN exemptions.
The New Product List
When you set up and enable Amazon in Channel Manager, we’ll automatically upgrade your product list (Products › View in your control panel). The new product list is where you will list and manage all your channel listings. For a full list of its new features and design, see The New Product List.
- Creating listings
- Creating listings with variants
- Listing errors and rejected listings
- Listing products in bulk
- Changing active listings
- Hiding listings
1. Go to Products › View and click Storefront › Create Listing next to the product you want to list on Amazon.
2. On the Product Listing Details page, select Amazon under Channels (it will already be selected if Amazon is the only channel enabled in Channel Manager).
Product Listing Category will be set according to the Category Mapping settings you made during setup. Click Change to manually select an Amazon category for the product (this will not affect the product's BigCommerce category). Once a listing has been created, Product Listing Category and Condition cannot be changed (this is a limitation on Amazon's end).
3. By default, your new Amazon product listing will use the same name, description, brand, and price details your product has in your BigCommerce store.
Optionally, you can override these to be specific to Amazon. These edits are only reflected on Amazon.com — not on your BigCommerce store or other marketplace listings.
4. Depending on the selected Product Listing Category, you may be presented with additional Channel Listing Details required by Amazon. You can also add Bullet Points for your listing here. Click Show all listing details to see any optional/additional fields for this category.
5. Save your changes.
Once saved, your product will show an Amazon status of Pending. After your product has been successfully listed, its listing status will change from Pending to Active.
New and updated listings can take up to 1 hour to appear on Amazon. Images can take up to 24 hours to appear on Amazon.
Is your BigCommerce product already live on Amazon? Attempting to list a product from BigCommerce will sync your BigCommerce and Amazon catalog for that item (e.g. price, name, stock level updates) provided they share the same SKU.
Creating Listings with Variants
When creating a listing for a product with options (such as size or color), BigCommerce allows you to "map" your product's options to Amazon's options. This is an important step since your product's options may not be named the same way that Amazon's catalog names them. Once a listing has been created, option mapping cannot be changed (this is a limitation on Amazon's end).
Amazon's option mapping schema is conditional, meaning the available values for the second (and additional) option may be dependent on what is selected in the first.
Variants on Amazon:
- Variants share the same product description as the base/parent product. See Amazon seller help for Variation Relationships.
- Some categories (like Clothing and Accessories) require additional classification data (like Clothing Type and Department).
- BigCommerce will automatically populate this data based off of the selected Amazon subcategory.
- For other categories, this additional classification data will need to be manually added to the Product Listing Details page.
How do I show different images for each of my product's different variants/options?
You can assign images to each of your variants when creating or editing a SKU. While the base product can have up to 8 images, each variant can only have 1 image. If a variant does not have its own image defined, Amazon will use the main/parent product image. See Creating Listings with Variants.
Listing Products in Bulk
1. Go to Products and check each product you want to list on Amazon.
2. Click Bulk Actions, then select List products on channel.
3. Check Amazon, then click Publish products.
Changing Active Listings
1. On the product list page, select Amazon from the Channels drop-down next to a product to go to the Product Listing Details page.
2. Make your changes and Save when finished. Listing updates can take up to 30 minutes to appear on Amazon.
To hide a product from Amazon, check the box next to it and select Hide products on channels from the Bulk Actions drop-down. Check the box next to Amazon, then click Hide products.
Relisting a product? Immediately ending and relisting a product can leave it in an inconsistent state. We recommend waiting at least an hour before attempting to relist an ended product.
Checking Orders from Amazon
Orders received from Amazon are listed on your Orders screen with an Amazon icon.
How long does it take for an order to appear? Orders from Amazon can take up to 12 hours before appearing in BigCommerce. This is a current limitation of our integration and our engineering team is working to improve it. See Why is an Amazon order not appearing in BigCommerce? in the FAQ section.
Order notification emails are controlled and sent from Amazon. Your notification preferences can be changed in your Amazon seller account settings.
When an order status is updated in BigCommerce it is automatically synced to the order at Amazon. Conversely, if an order status is updated at Amazon, its status is automatically updated in BigCommerce. Orders with a "Pending" status at Amazon won't appear in BigCommerce until they update to unshipped/shipped/cancelled.
Below is a list of BigCommerce statuses and their Amazon equivalents. Not all BigCommerce order statuses translate to Amazon order statuses.
* While the "Partially Shipped" status will sync between BigCommerce and Amazon, partial shipments for Amazon orders are not supported in the BigCommerce control panel.
Since billing is handled by Amazon, orders from Amazon come into your BigCommerce control panel with the shipping address also listed as the billing address when looking at the expanded order details.
Amazon does not include the real email address of the customer. Instead, they share an automatically generated anonymous email address. Per Amazon’s policy, this address may not be used for marketing purposes.
The Amazon Order ID is also included in the expanded order details.
Shipments and Refunds
Shipments for orders from Amazon are created the same as orders from the storefront. When a new shipment is created and the order status is updated to Shipped, it typically takes 15-20 minutes for the order status and tracking information to update at Amazon.
Partial shipments for orders from Amazon are not supported, so you won’t be able to modify the quantity shipped when creating shipments for Amazon orders.
Full and partial refunds are managed from your Amazon Seller Central dashboard.
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees? There are no additional fees from BigCommerce, however, orders processed through our Amazon integration are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV and order count, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing. Additionally, Amazon may have additional fees unrelated to the BigCommerce integration.
Customer Experience on Amazon
Once your products are listed on Amazon, the browsing and checkout flows are controlled by Amazon.
If your offering is featured in the “buy box”, your business is listed as the shipper and seller.
If your offering is not featured in the “buy box”, you may be listed as an “Other Seller”.
When a customer purchases one of your products, they will receive an email confirmation from Amazon. All order emails are handled by Amazon.
Your new Amazon order is brought into your BigCommerce control panel, and they’re shipped the same as you would any other order that comes in through your storefront. BigCommerce will update the order’s status on Amazon when you create a shipment or change the order status.
Listing Errors and Rejected Listings
Some of the more common errors are listed below.
This is not a complete list - if your error isn't listed here, or the potential solutions don't help with your issue, please contact our support team and we'll help get your products into the Amazon marketplace.
|Error||What this means||Potential solutions|
|A value was not provided for "item_type". Please provide a value for "item_type". Please use the Product Classifier or download the category-specific Browse Tree Guide from Seller Help to see a list of valid "item_type" values. This information tells Amazon where your product should be classified and affects how easily customers can find your product.||An Item Type was not provided for the product.||None at this time.|
|Requires field 'Product Type' in order to list when creating a new ASIN on Amazon.||A value for 'Product Type' is missing.||Go to the Product Listing Details page and enter a "Product Type".|
|Standard product id (UPC, GTIN or Amazon ASIN) is either not provided or invalid.||A standard product id is required to list on Amazon.||Add UPC in Edit a Product.|
|A value was not provided for "bullet_point1". Please provide a value for "bullet_point1". This information appears on the product detail page and helps customers evaluate products.||Bullet points are short, descriptive statements about the product. They are required by Amazon to make your product easier to find. e.g. "The world's most effective vacuum!", "Machine-washable", "Engineered to withstand the most extreme weather".||Go to the Product Listing Details page and provide some bullet points.|
|Amazon has restrictions on this product that prevent it from being listed. Please resolve in Amazon Seller Central.||BigCommerce is unable to determine why a listing is restricted. There are many different reasons Amazon may restrict a product from listing. Usually, the product is either not allowed to be sold on Amazon or the category of product requires merchant approval prior to listing on Amazon.||Visit the help page at Amazon Seller Central to learn more about potential restrictions: see here and here.|
|Requires field 'Unit Count' in order to list when creating a new ASIN on Amazon.||Requires a value for 'Unit Count' when creating a new listing on Amazon.||Go to the Product Listing Details page and enter 'Unit Count'.|
|Amazon has flagged this product's description for having invalid content.||Amazon does not allow the following content in a product description:|
1. Pornographic, obscene, or offensive content.
2. Phone numbers, physical mail addresses, email addresses, or website URLs. Availability, price, condition, alternative ordering information (such as links to other websites for placing orders), or alternative shipping offers (such as free shipping).
3. Spoilers regarding Books, Music, Video, or DVD (BMVD) listings (information that reveals plot elements crucial to the suspense, mystery, or surprise ending of a story).
4. Reviews, quotes, or testimonials.
5. Solicitations for positive customer reviews.
6. Advertisements, promotional material, or watermarks on images, photos, or videos.
7. Time-sensitive information (i.e., dates of promotional tours, seminars, lectures, etc.).
|Please review your product description, remove anything that breaks these rules, and list again.|
Alternatively, if you do not wish to edit your catalog's product description, you can override your description in the Product Listing Details page.
- Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
- I’m an international merchant, can I still list on Amazon with BigCommerce?
- Are there plans to integrate with Amazon.ca / Amazon.com.au / Amazon.eu / Amazon.co.uk in the future?
- Can I use more than one BigCommerce store with my Seller Central account?
- What is Amazon Brand Registry?
- What are the requirements?
- Once enrolled, how do I send my products approved for Brand Registry to Amazon?
- How long does it take for my listing to appear on Amazon?
- Can I create listings with 0 stock?
- Can I create FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) listings?
- What happens with my existing Seller Central listings?
- Can I customize my listings specifically for Amazon?
- What are Bullet Points (Feature Bullets)?
- Can I offer gift wrapping on Amazon listings?
- Can I hide a product on my storefront but still list it on Amazon?
- Why is an Amazon order not appearing in BigCommerce?
- How do I refund an Amazon order?
- Can I process partial shipments?
- How do I show different images for my product's variants / options?
- Are custom override attributes importable (via CSV)?
- How do I disable Seller Central listing update notification emails?
- Can I… with the new product list?
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
There are no additional fees from BigCommerce. However, Amazon orders processed through BigCommerce are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing. This includes orders for products that are added to Amazon directly (not via BigCommerce) and products that may not currently be in your BigCommerce store's catalog. FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) orders are not processed by BigCommerce, are not brought into the control panel, and do not count against your store's trailing 12-month GMV.
Additionally, Amazon may have additional fees unrelated to the BigCommerce integration.
I’m an international merchant, can I still list on Amazon.com with BigCommerce?
Yes, provided you meet the following requirements:
- your store’s default currency is USD
- you’ve enabled shipping to the United States
- you have a US-based Seller Central Account (sellercentral.amazon.com)
Are there plans to integrate with Amazon.ca / Amazon.com.au / Amazon.eu / Amazon.co.uk in the future?
Current plans are to release support for Amazon EU, then iterate other markets according to merchant demand.
Can I use more than one BigCommerce store with my Seller Central account?
No. Only one BigCommerce store can be connected to one Seller Central account at a time.
Amazon Brand Registry
What is Amazon Brand Registry?
Amazon Brand Registry is a program to give brand owners more control over how their brand(s) are represented on Amazon. It protects your brand by providing tools to find and alert you to suspected infringing or inaccurate content.
What are the requirements?
To enroll in Amazon Brand Registry, you will need:
- An active registered trademark for your brand that appears on your products or packaging.
- The ability to verify yourself as the rights owner or the authorized agent for the trademark.
- An Amazon account. You can use an existing Amazon account (credentials associated with Vendor or Seller Central) or create a new one for free.
Learn more about Amazon Brand Registry eligibility, including country-specific requirements.
Once enrolled, how do I send my products approved for Brand Registry to Amazon?
In your Amazon Channel Manager settings, you can specify which of your Bigcommerce store's brands are registered. For these brands, you'll be able to list and update product data on Amazon without including UPC, EAN, or GTIN product identifiers.
How long does it take for my listing to appear on Amazon?
It can take up to 30 minutes for your new or updated listings to appear on Amazon.
Can I create listings with 0 stock?
Yes. For products with tracking enabled and 0 stock, a listing will be created but won't be purchasable. Amazon listings 0 stock will show as “Out of Stock” on Amazon.
Can I create FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) listings?
Not at this time.
What happens with my existing Seller Central listings?
If an order is received from Amazon and the product does not already exist in your BigCommerce store, we will create a placeholder for it. This is for order management purposes. These products do not have a stock level and therefore any order cancellations made for these orders in BC will not increment stock at Seller Central. Currently, this must be managed manually from your Seller Central account.
Can I customize my listings specifically for Amazon?
Yes. Name, description, brand, and price can all be customized at the product level for listing on Amazon.
How do I show different images for my product's variants/options?
You can assign images to each of your variants when creating or editing a SKU. While the base product can have up to 8 images, each variant can only have 1 image. See Creating Listings with Variants.
What are Bullet Points (Feature Bullets)?
In an Amazon listing, they are a list (up to 5) of brief but precise descriptions of what the customer will get when they purchase the item.
Here are some tips for writing good feature bullets:
- Make each bullet point brief yet descriptive; This is not the place for paragraphs
- If the item is a set, list what's included in the set and the size (if appropriate) of each item
- For every feature, include a benefit
- Include warranty information or included accessories as the last bullet point
- Use semicolons to separate phrases within a single bullet point
- Always use numerals, never spell out numbers, in bullet points
- Write bullets in sentence case (no punctuation); 500 characters maximum (can vary by product category)
If your product is found to already exist in Amazon's catalog, its feature bullets may already be set and are not changeable. See Amazon Seller Central Help for more information about Feature Bullets.
Can I offer gift wrapping on Amazon listings?
Yes. Gift wrapping options are set on a product-by-product basis and is managed from your Seller Central account.
Can I hide a product on my storefront but still list it on Amazon?
Yes. A product's Visible setting in BigCommerce doesn't affect its ability to be listed or availability on Amazon.
Why is an Amazon order not appearing in BigCommerce?
- It can take up to 12 hours for an Amazon order to appear in BigCommerce.
- If an order will cause a BigCommerce product's stock to become negative, the order will not appear in BigCommerce. This scenario can happen if the product runs out of stock on your BigCommerce storefront and a buyer purchases the product on Amazon before stock levels are updated/synced.
How do I refund an Amazon order?
Full and partial refunds are documented and managed in your Amazon Seller Central account.
Can I process partial shipments?
Not yet, but this is planned for a future release. The Quantity Shipped field is disabled when creating shipments for orders from Amazon.
Are custom override attributes importable (via CSV)?
Not yet, but this functionality is planned as part of a future update.
How do I disable Seller Central listing update notification emails?
In your Seller Central account, go to Settings › Notification Preferences and disable the Open Listing Report option.
Can I… with the new product list?
Future planned improvements for the new product list include:
- view and sort products by channel
- more channel listing options (i.e. Facebook, Pinterest)
- custom product listing details by channel (price, name, description, brand, condition) will be importable via CSV and assignable via API