Using the Built-In Blog
Blogging can be a great tool for promoting your products and giving your store a personal touch, as well as give a boost to your site's SEO ranking.
By default, a basic blog is included on the BigCommerce platform. The look and feel of the blog is controlled by the theme.
To access the blog, go to Storefront Content › Blog.
Enabling and Disabling the blog
By default, the built-in blog is enabled on your BigCommerce store.
If you are using a different blogging platform like Wordpress or don't want to use a blog, you can turn it off by going to Storefront Content › Blog.
Set the Blog Visibility switch to the off position to disable the built-in blog.
Creating a Blog Post
1. On the blog page, then click the + button
2. Give the post a Title, then add your content to Body.
Need some inspiration? Check out Blogging Best Practices for tips and ideas on writing blog posts for ecommerce marketing.
3. Click Save Draft to save your work. This is so you can pick up where you left off, and publish at a later time.
4. Click Publish when you are ready for the post to be seen by your audience.
Use the blog's WYSIWYG editor to add images, video and special formatting to your post content.
- Author — designates who wrote this particular blog post
- Tags — used for categorizing similar blog posts
- Summary Thumbnail Image — displays a thumbnail image to be included in the post summary
- Post URL — designates a specific url for the post; generated based off of the post Title
- Meta description — specifies the description that will appear in the appropriate meta tag for this post
Where is the Summary Image? The summary thumbnail image will show on the blog summary page only, not on the actual blog post itself.
These settings allow you to control some aspects of your blog.
About This Blog
- Blog Title — The name that will appear in your store's navigation. Keeping this short and simple is best.
- Blog URL — You can enter a custom Blog URL, if you'd like. By default, it is automatically generated based off of the Blog Title.
Social share controls like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are enabled for your blog by default. You can modify these by clicking Edit in Store Settings.
Under Store Settings, click the Share tab along the top. For more information see Share Settings.
If you have an existing Disqus account, you can use it for blog comments by turning on Disqus Comments and entering a Disqus Shortname.
To learn more about setting up comments with Disqus, view Using Disqus Comments.
Recent Blog Posts
Some themes display your most recent blog posts on the homepage. You can define how many blog posts to show on your store's home page through display settings.
Display store settings can be accessed in Store Setup › Store Settings, under the Display tab. You will see Recent blog posts in the first section. Enter the number you want to display. Set it to 0 if you do not want blog posts to show.
See the Accessing Built-in Feeds section of Using Syndication Feeds to access the RSS and Atom feeds of your built-in blog.