You can customize and enable/disable the emails that are automatically sent out to customers, such as invoice or order status update. You can update any of the content, such as text or images, to fit your brand.
Note that only the emails' body content can be edited here. It is NOT possible to change the subject lines natively.
Common Email Customizations
Enabling/Disabling Email Template
It is possible to toggle whether an email is sent from the system by checking or unchecking the box in the Enable column.
Disabling an email from here prevents it from being sent from BigCommerce. You may choose to do this if you are using a third-party email service for order updates, or even if you want to reduce the number of emails your customers receive.
Why can't I disable certain emails? Only transactional emails can be disabled. Some templates are for internal system emails and can be customized but not disabled.
Editing Email Templates
Editing your store's email templates is a great way to add a personal touch and branding to the emails that are sent to your customers. The templates use variables to refer to common store references. See our developer documentation for a list of the variables.
1. Go to Storefront › Email Templates.
2. You will see a list of the email sent by the store. Edit any file by clicking Edit.
To edit snippets, which are smaller files used in the email templates, click the + button to the left of the snippets folder, then click Edit.
3. From this point, you can edit the templates either in the WYSIWYG Editor or by editing their HTML directly. To edit the HTML directly, click the Edit HTML Source button on the second row of icons on the WYSIWYG editor. If you prefer to work with the raw HTML, see Stencil Email Template Customization for a zip file containing the raw html files.
All of the email content is generated by variable and snippet codes. For example, the 'Thanks for Your Order' text in the invoice email is generated by the %%LNG_ThanksForYourOrder%% variable in the invoice_email.html file shown below.
Removing "Powered by BigCommerce" from Emails
This section covers the steps to remove the "Powered by BigCommerce" text and link from the various emails your store sends out automatically. For example, the invoice email customers receive after completing a purchase.
1. Go to Storefront › Email Templates.
2. Click the + icon to the left of Snippets.
3. Click Action › Edit to the right of EmailFooter.html.
4. Depending on when your store was created, you will see one of the two following lines. Locate and delete the entire line.
%%GLOBAL_StoreName%% is powered by BigCommerce. Launch your own store for free with BigCommerce.
%%GLOBAL_StoreName%% %%LNG_HC_emailpowered%%. %%LNG_HC_emaillaunchstore%% %%LNG_HC_emailbigcommerce%%.
5. Save your changes.
Viewing Your Changes
At this time there is no native preview feature for email template customizations. In order to view the changes you have made to a template, you must complete the action that causes that particular email to send. For example, to view changes to the invoice_email.html template you must create a test order and have the invoice email sent to yourself.
Email Template Files and Snippets
Customer Notification Email Templates
- abandoned_cart_email.html* — sent when a customer abandons a shopping cart
- account_details_changed_email.html — sent when a customer makes a change on their account
- combined_order_status_email.html — sent when an order's status is changed
- createaccount_email.html — sent when a customer creates an account
- createguestaccount_email.html — sent when a customer checks out as a guest and has an account automatically created for them
- giftcertificate_email.html — sent to the recipient of a gift certificate
- invoice_email.html — sent when a customer places an order
- ordermessage_notification.html — sent when a message is added to an order
- ordermessage_merchant_notification.html — when a shopper logs into their account and sends a message to the store about an order
- product_review_email.html — sent after an order has been placed, asking a customer to review the items they purchased
- return_confirmation_email.html — sent when a customer submits a return request
- return_statuschange_email.html — sent when a customer's return request status is updated by a store administrator
* This feature is available on select BigCommerce plans.
Store Administrator Notification Email Templates
- ebay_listing_aborted.html — sent when an eBay listing has been aborted
- ebay_listing_failed.html — sent when an eBay listing has failed
- ebay_listing_finished.html — sent when an eBay listing has finished
- email_integration_export_aborted.html — sent when an export of a customer list to an email marketing service has been aborted
- email_integration_export_failed.html — sent when an export of a customer list to an email marketing service has failed
- email_integration_export_finished.html — sent when an export of a customer list to an email marketing service has finished
- email_integration_notice_email.html — sent when a customer's newsletter subscription fails to sync to an email marketing service list
- email_integration_ruledeleted_email.html — sent when a newsletter subscription rule has been deleted
- email_integration_ruleupdated_email.html — sent when a newsletter subscription rule has been updated
- general_email.html — sent when a customer attempts to check out while no payment gateways are available
- low_inventory_email.html — sent when a product has reached its low stock level
- out_of_stock_inventory_email.html — sent when a product's inventory level reaches 0
- page_contact_email.html — sent when a customer submits a contact form
- return_notification_email.html — sent when a customer submits a return request
- store_owner_abandoned_cart_converted_email.html* — sent when a customer has returned to an abandoned cart and completed their purchase
- store_owner_abandoned_cart_email.html* — sent when a customer has abandoned their shopping cart
* This feature is available on select BigCommerce plans.
- ACCartContents.html — used in the ACCCartDetails.html file to display abandoned cart product images, quantities, names, and prices
- ACCartDetails.html — used in the store_owner_abandoned_cart_email.html file to display an abandoned cart's customer and product details
- ACCouponBox.html — used in abandoned cart emails sent to customers to display a coupon code
- AddressLabel.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display both the billing and shipping address information
- ContactFormField.html — used in page_contact_email.html to display the contact form fields
- DownloadableItemsDetails.html — used in combined_order_status_email.html to display the details and link for a downloadable product
- EmailFooter.html — used in all customer notification email templates to display your store name, URL, and the "Powered by BigCommerce" text
- InvoiceCartItem.html — used in the invoice email to display each product's details, SKU, quantity, individual price, and total price for the order
- InvoiceCartItemNoSKU.html — same as InvoiceCartItem.html but used for products that have no SKUs
- InvoiceOrderComment.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display order comments submitted by the customer
- InvoicePaymentMethod.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display the customer's payment method
- InvoicePendingPaymentDetails.html — used in the invoice_email.html file when a customer has chosen a manual payment method, such as check or cash on delivery, to display instructions for how they should pay for their order
- InvoicePendingPaymentNotice.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display the "Your order requires payment…" message
- InvoiceProductColumns.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display the cart contents column headers
- InvoiceProductColumnsNoSKU.html — same as InvoiceProductColumns.html but used when the products in an order have no SKUs
- InvoiceProductShipRow.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display the shipping addresses when a customer has placed an order with items shipping to separate addresses
- InvoiceTotalRow.html — used in the invoice_email.html file to display various order totals, such as the order subtotal, shipping cost, and the order's grand total
- OrderNoPaymentTaken.html — used in the invoice_email.html file when an order is placed through a payment gateway that is in test mode to display the "No money was taken for this order…" message
- OrderRefundedAmountRow.html — used in the email sent to customers when an order is refunded to display the refund amount
- OrderTrackingLink.html — used in email sent to customers when items are shipped to generate a clickable tracking number
- ProductReviewItem.html — used in the product_review_email.html file to display the product name and product review link
- ProductShipDetails.html — used in combined_order_status_email.html to display a table that includes product details
- ProductShipRow.html — used in combined_order_status_email.html to display a product's name, sku and quantity in the ProductShipDetails table
- ReturnConfirmationItem.html — used in the return_confirmation.html file to display the name and quantity of products submitted in the return request
- StatusCompleteDownloadItem.html — used in the order_status_downloads_email.html file when an order containing a downloadable product's status is changed to complete to display the product's name, quantity, and download link
- ShipmentTrackingDetails.html — used in combined_order_status_email.html to display a tracking number link