Selling on eBay
Featuring over 169 million active shoppers and more than a billion live listings, eBay is one of the world’s most popular marketplaces. Originally started as a consumer-to-consumer, auction-based service for used items, today 80% of all products sold on eBay are new.
eBay’s New Product-Based Shopping Experience
Beginning May 2018, eBay will begin transitioning to a new product-based shopping experience, where all listings for the same product are grouped together. To accomplish this, listings created for certain brands and product lines will need to be associated with a product in the eBay catalog.
BigCommerce's built-in eBay Channel Manager integration does not support this new requirement and will not be updated, so we recommend eBay by inkFrog.
Special Offer - Get 3 Months of eBay Premium Stores
Merchants new to eBay who sign-up through BigCommerce get 3 free months of an eBay Premium Stores subscription.
To qualify for the offer, you’ll need to create your new eBay business account when you sign up for eBay through BigCommerce.
For a full description of eBay’s Terms & Conditions for this offer, go to:
Importing Your Products from eBay
Note: You'll need to complete the eBay channel setup process to import your products from eBay. Once the import is complete, we recommend disconnecting the built-in channel and using eBay by inkFrog to list and manage eBay listings from your BigCommerce store. See eBay's New Product-Based Shopping Experience for more information.
1. Go to Channel Manager › eBay.
2. Scroll down to How to get started, confirm your shipping and payment settings are compatible, click Get Started, then click Connect to eBay.
3. If you're not already, you'll be asked to sign in to your eBay account. Once signed in, review eBay’s application access information and click Agree to grant BigCommerce permission to publish and edit listings on your behalf. After you agree, you’ll be returned to your BigCommerce control panel to finish setting up your new eBay channel. When you're done, click Finish Setup.
Buyers pay immediately, and funds are transferred instantly to your PayPal account. The selected product will remain available to other buyers until payment processing is complete.
Ebay recommends upgrading your PayPal account to Business or Premier and linking it to your eBay account in your My eBay settings.
Shipping policies are where you specify your handling time, the postage services you offer and postage costs. At least one shipping policy and one return policy is required in order to complete setup and list to eBay.
Click Add Shipping Policy.
- Policy Name — Give your policy a name to make it easily identifiable when listing. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Short Description — A brief description can help you to distinguish between policies more easily. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Shipping Rate Type — Choose between Flat: Same cost to all buyers or Calculated: Cost varies on buyer location.
- Shipping Service — Select up to 4 shipping services (like UPS Ground or FedEx Home Delivery).
- Handling Time — Choose a handling time. You should always ship and enter tracking information within your stated handling time. If you're using the Calculated rate type you can also specify a handling fee.
- Make this my default shipping policy — Check the box to make this your default shipping policy.
Return policies are where you specify if returns are accepted, return instructions, refund preference, restocking fee, and whether return shipping paid by the buyer or seller. Offering at least 30 days to return an item will improve conversion and buyer feedback.
Click Add Return Policy.
- Name — Give your policy a name to make it easily identifiable when listing. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Description — A brief description can help you to distinguish between policies more easily. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Returns accepted — Check the box if you offer returns with this policy. (Note: Even if you specify "no returns accepted", under the eBay Money Back Guarantee the buyer can still return an item if it doesn't match the listing description.)
- Return Instructions — Provide instruction on what actions the buyer should take if they need to initiate a return.
- After receiving the item, your buyer should contact you within:
- 7 days
- 14 days
- 30 days
- 60 days
- Refund will be given as:
- Money back or replacement (buyer's choice)
- Money back or exchange (buyer's choice)
- Do you want to charge a restocking fee?
- Return shipping will be paid by:
- Set as default return policy — Check the box to make this your default return policy.
Sellers are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with using eBay.
- Select the state you collect sales tax in.
- Set the percentage to be charged.
- Set whether to apply sales tax to Shipping and Handling charges.
- If you collect sales tax in more than one state, click + Add Additional State.
Ebay requires stock levels for product listings. For your BigCommerce products that don't have inventory tracking enabled, we'll use this number as the default available quantity/stock when listing the product on eBay.
When an order comes in, we'll automatically update these listings' stock levels back to this number.
Importing Your Products from eBay
After you’ve completed setup, you’ll be asked if you want to import any existing eBay listings into your BigCommerce store.
- We’ll only import products that don’t already exist in your BigCommerce store.
- If an eBay listing has a SKU (also called Custom Label in eBay) that matches an existing BigCommerce product, it will be ignored (skipped).
- Products and variants in eBay must have a unique SKU (Custom Label).
- The payment policy for imported listings must be PayPal with immediate payment required.
- Only fixed-priced (Buy It Now), Good 'Til Cancelled listings will be imported.
- eBay Stores listings are supported.
Once the import is complete, Last Import will report how many products were imported/created and if there were any conflicts or errors.
Use the Download button to get a full CSV-formatted report of created, skipped and failed products.
Past imports and their CSV reports can be found under Import History.
You can also skip the initial post-setup import and perform it later at any time from the Import tab on the eBay Channel Manager page.
There are two fees for listing a product in the eBay marketplace: an insertion fee and a final value fee.
When you list an item for sale on eBay from BigCommerce, you'll be charged an insertion fee. The fee for one listing for one month is $0.30 for standard sellers and can be as low as $0.05 for eBay Stores subscribers.
All listings created in BigCommerce are Fixed Priced and Good 'Til Cancelled format. That means if the item does not sell after 30 days, it will automatically be relisted and a new insertion fee will be assessed.
- All eBay sellers are entitled to (at least) 50 free insertion fee credits per month.
- eBay Store subscribers get even more, based on their subscription plan.
Final value fee
If your item sells, you will be charged a final value fee. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, including shipping and handling charges. Sales tax is not included.
- For standard eBay sellers, this is 10% of the total amount of the sale.
- The maximum final value fee for standard sellers is $750.
- For eBay Stores subscribers, this is between 4-9%, depending on the category.
- The maximum final value fee for eBay Stores subscribers is $250.
In addition to insertion and final value fees, eBay also assesses other listing/service fees including:
- advanced listing upgrade fees
- eBay Promoted Listings fees
- supplemental service fees
Currently, these services cannot be administered/managed from BigCommerce and are only available from within your eBay account. You will not be charged for them unless you manually enable them from your eBay seller account.
eBay Stores Subscription
For merchants, particularly high-volume sellers, there are many benefits to having an eBay Stores subscription:
- more free insertion fee credits
- discounted insertion fees
- lower final value fee rates
- increased eBay buyer confidence
- access to tools to help promote, advertise, and analyze your eBay store and listings
Store subscription costs range from $19.95 - $349.95 per month depending on package type and billing cycle (monthly vs. yearly).
Once your sales from eBay reach a certain point, you'll save money by having an eBay Stores subscription.
For example, take a standard seller who has:
- 1,000 listings
- 1,000 items sold
- $10 per sold item
- $10,000 in total monthly sales
Without a store subscription, this seller would assess $1,285 in fees:
With a Premium Store subscription, this seller would only assess $659.05 in fees:
Use eBay’s Fee Illustrator to enter your number of listings, items sold, and average order value to see how much you could be saving with a eBay Stores subscription.
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
There are no additional fees from BigCommerce. However, eBay orders processed through BigCommerce are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing; eBay charges insertion and final value fees to use their service.
What if I only have a personal eBay account?
You can create a new account for your business or change your personal account into a business account type. See eBay’s article on How to register as a business.
How do I disable/disconnect eBay?
Go to Channel Manager › eBay. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Disconnect Channel. For quality assurance, we ask your reason for disconnecting. After you’ve selected a reason, click Disconnect.
What if I’ve exceeded my eBay seller limits?
You won’t be able to create additional listings until your listing count or total value is below your current seller limit. You can also request higher limits from eBay. Since insertion fees are assessed on every product listed on eBay, we don’t recommend listing your entire catalog all at once initially — especially if you are new to listing on eBay.
Can I list on eBay.com.au?
We recommend eBay LINK.
What if I use third-party inventory or order management apps?
Stock levels are automatically synced between your storefront and eBay in real time. If you are using third-party apps for order and inventory management, we recommend disabling the eBay channel sync in those apps since BigCommerce will serve as the single "source of truth" for both a product's storefront and eBay stock.
How long does it take for an order from eBay to appear in my BigCommerce control panel?
Generally, within a few minutes. The amount of time depends on the level of API traffic eBay is currently experiencing.
How do I create shipping labels for orders from eBay?
See Creating shipping labels and packing slips on eBay for help.
What happens if an order from eBay is cancelled?
For now, eBay orders cannot be cancelled from the BigCommerce control panel, and you’ll need to manage them from your eBay seller account.
How do I refund an eBay order?
Full and partial refunds are documented and managed in your eBay seller account.