Selling on eBay
Featuring over 169 million active shoppers and more than a billion live listings, eBay is one of the world’s most popular marketplaces. Originally started as a consumer-to-consumer, auction-based service for used items, today 80% of all products sold on eBay are new.
eBay’s New Product-Based Shopping Experience
Beginning May 2018, eBay will begin transitioning to a new product-based shopping experience, where all listings for the same product are grouped together. To accomplish this, listings created for certain brands and product lines will need to be associated with a product in the eBay catalog.
BigCommerce's built-in eBay Channel Manager integration does not support this new requirement, so we recommend using eBay by inkFrog.
If you choose to continue to use the built-in eBay Channel Manager integration, be aware that as eBay continues to expand its new policy, your existing listings run the risk of being removed and new listings will fail to list.
Affected Brands and Product Lines
Starting in May 2018, the following brands/product lines will no longer be listable through BigCommerce's built-in eBay Channel Manager integration. Over time, the eBay catalog will be expanded to cover all products (not just the brands/products listed below).
|Amazon||Echo, Fire Stick|
|Apple||iPads, iPhones, TV|
|Dyson||AM Cooling Fan, AM Fan Heater, AM Humidifier, Pure|
eBay Channel Manager Requirements
- You must have an eBay business account with a US address (eBay store not required). Only one eBay account can be connected to one BigCommerce store at a time.
- You must have a PayPal account.
- You must have adequate seller limits for your eBay account. You won’t be able to create new listings if you’re currently exceeding your limits.
- Only physical products can be listed. Downloadable products are not supported.
- Product Availability attributes (pre-orders, catalog-only) are not reflected in a product's eBay listing and will list like other products.
- Brand names are required for all products.
- Product description is required.
- Price must be $0.99 or higher (per eBay policy).
- Product code/SKU is required (both for main/parent product and for individual variants); eBay requires SKU length to be between 1-50 characters, and cannot contain forward slashes (/) or spaces ( ).
- GTIN and MPN are required for branded products in “new” or “manufacturer refurbished” condition in select categories. GTIN (such as UPC) must be valid.
- Product identifiers longer than 12 digits are not supported.
- If no Default Inventory is specified in your eBay channel settings, then inventory tracking must be enabled.
- If no Default Inventory is specified in your eBay channel settings, then inventory tracking by options must be enabled for products with options.
- Products must have at least 1 photo.
- For simple products, eBay will show the first 12 photos. If you add more photos after the listing is live/created, it will show the 12 most recently added photos.
- For products with variations, eBay will show the first 12 main/parent photos plus one photo for each variant (if applicable) up to 250 variants.
- For products with variations, if a photo doesn't exist for a specific variant, eBay will use the first main product photo to represent that variant.
- Product photos must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side; eBay recommends photos be between 800 - 1600 pixels on the longest side (height or width).
- Borders aren’t allowed on any of your photos. The only exception is if you have a “natural” border created by photographing your square or rectangular item against a neutral-colored backdrop.
- Watermarks are allowed for ownership and attribution, but not for marketing information, specific details about your item, or customer service. Your watermark should be no bigger than 5% of the total image area, have an opacity of no more than 50%, and never obscure the item. Links are not allowed in watermarks.
- No text or artwork (such as “Free shipping” or seller logos) may be added to photos.
- Stock photos can only be used for brand-new items.
- See eBay’s Photo Quality Requirements for more information.
1. Go to Channel Manager › eBay.
2. Scroll down to How to get started, confirm your shipping and payment settings are compatible, click Get Started, then click Connect to eBay.
3. If you're not already, you'll be asked to sign in to your eBay account. Once signed in, review eBay’s application access information and click Agree to grant BigCommerce permission to publish and edit listings on your behalf. After you agree, you’ll be returned to your BigCommerce control panel to finish setting up your new eBay channel. When you're done, click Finish Setup.
Buyers pay immediately, and funds are transferred instantly to your PayPal account. The selected product will remain available to other buyers until payment processing is complete.
Ebay recommends upgrading your PayPal account to Business or Premier and linking it to your eBay account in your My eBay settings.
Shipping policies are where you specify your handling time, the postage services you offer and postage costs.
- At least one shipping policy and one return policy is required in order to complete setup and list to eBay.
- There is no limit on the number of shipping and return policies a store can have.
- A policy cannot be deleted if it is associated with an active listing.
- Policies cannot be duplicated (i.e. it shares the same exact configuration as another policy).
- For flat rate policies, the Each Additional price is set to be the same as Cost. If you need to adjust the Each Additional cost, you can do so by editing the listing from your eBay seller account.
Click Add Shipping Policy.
- Policy Name — Give your policy a name to make it easily identifiable when listing. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Short Description — A brief description can help you to distinguish between policies more easily. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Shipping Rate Type — Choose between Flat: Same cost to all buyers or Calculated: Cost varies on buyer location.
- Shipping Service — Select up to 4 shipping services (like UPS Ground or FedEx Home Delivery).
- Handling Time — Choose a handling time. You should always ship and enter tracking information within your stated handling time. If you're using the Calculated rate type you can also specify a handling fee.
- Make this my default shipping policy — Check the box to make this your default shipping policy.
Return policies are where you specify if returns are accepted, return instructions, refund preference, restocking fee, and whether return shipping paid by the buyer or seller. Offering at least 30 days to return an item will improve conversion and buyer feedback.
Click Add Return Policy.
- Name — Give your policy a name to make it easily identifiable when listing. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Description — A brief description can help you to distinguish between policies more easily. For internal use only; not shown to buyers.
- Returns accepted — Check the box if you offer returns with this policy. (Note: Even if you specify "no returns accepted", under the eBay Money Back Guarantee the buyer can still return an item if it doesn't match the listing description.)
- Return Instructions — Provide instruction on what actions the buyer should take if they need to initiate a return.
- After receiving the item, your buyer should contact you within:
- 7 days
- 14 days
- 30 days
- 60 days
- Refund will be given as:
- Money back or replacement (buyer's choice)
- Money back or exchange (buyer's choice)
- Do you want to charge a restocking fee?
- Return shipping will be paid by:
- Set as default return policy — Check the box to make this your default return policy.
Sellers are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with using eBay.
- Select the state you collect sales tax in.
- Set the percentage to be charged.
- Set whether to apply sales tax to Shipping and Handling charges.
- If you collect sales tax in more than one state, click + Add Additional State.
Ebay requires stock levels for product listings. For your BigCommerce products that don't have inventory tracking enabled, we'll use this number as the default available quantity/stock when listing the product on eBay.
When an order comes in, we'll automatically update these listings' stock levels back to this number.
Importing Your Products from eBay
After you’ve completed setup, you’ll be asked if you want to import any existing eBay listings into your BigCommerce store.
- We’ll only import products that don’t already exist in your BigCommerce store.
- If an eBay listing has a SKU (also called Custom Label in eBay) that matches an existing BigCommerce product, it will be ignored (skipped).
- Products and variants in eBay must have a unique SKU (Custom Label).
- The payment policy for imported listings must be PayPal with immediate payment required.
- Only fixed-priced (Buy It Now), Good 'Til Cancelled listings will be imported.
- eBay Stores listings are supported.
Once the import is complete, Last Import will report how many products were imported/created and if there were any conflicts or errors.
Use the Download button to get a full CSV-formatted report of created, skipped and failed products.
Past imports and their CSV reports can be found under Import History.
You can also skip the initial post-setup import and perform it later at any time from the Import tab on the eBay Channel Manager page.
The New Product List
When you set up and enable eBay in Channel Manager, we’ll automatically upgrade your product list (Products › View in your control panel). The new product list is where you will list and manage all your channel listings. For a full list of its new features and design, see The New Product List.
- Creating listings
- Listing errors and rejected listings
- Listing products in bulk
- Changing active listings
- Hiding listings
- Deleting listings
1. Go to Products › View and click Storefront › Create Listing next to the product you want to list on eBay.
2. Select eBay for Channels. For Product Listing Category, eBay uses advanced logic to try to automatically map your BigCommerce category to an eBay category. Click Choose a Category to override this automation and manually select a category. Note that once a listing has already been created, its category can only be changed by deleting and recreating the listing. See Deleting Listings below.
If the selected eBay category for your product has option requirements, you can map your product's BigCommerce options to the appropriate eBay options.
Some eBay categories also have required Item Specifics. BigCommerce will attempt to infer these values based on your product's information, and you can manually override these selections if needed. Click the dropdown menu next to each required Item Specific to select the correct value for your product. If your value isn't in the list, select Custom Value to manually enter it yourself.
3. By default, your new eBay product listing will use the same name, description, brand, and price details your product has in your BigCommerce store. Listings created from the Product Listing Details page will have a default Product Condition of New.
You can choose to override these defaults to be specific to eBay. These edits are only reflected at eBay.com and not on your BigCommerce store or other marketplace listings.
4. Below the product override fields, you’ll see a section listing all the different variations of your product (based on its current options). You can optionally give each variant a specific price (just for eBay) and decide which variants to include in the listing (the checkbox under “Listed”).
6. When you’re done making changes, click Publish to submit your listing.
After saving, your product will show a listing status of Pending. After your product has been successfully listed, its listing status will change from Pending to Listed.
Once your product is listed, it will show up on the Product Listing Details page with a link to the live listing on eBay and its eBay Item Number.
Listing Errors and Rejected Listings
If your product was rejected, you’ll see X Listing Error(s) in the Listed On column of the product list. Click on it and select eBay from the Channels drop-down. The Product Listing Details page will report any errors eBay had while attempting to list the product. See eBay Errors for specific listing errors, explanations, and solutions.
Listing Products in Bulk
Products listed in bulk will use the default shipping and return policies. You can change the policy of a listing that was created in bulk from the Product Listing Details page.
1. Go to Products and check each product you want to list on eBay.
2. Click Bulk Actions, then select List products on channel.
3. Check eBay, then click List products.
If any listing errors are encountered when attempting to list in bulk, you’ll be notified with a banner in the product list. The banner shows the number of products that have errors, and clicking the link will display a popup window with error details broken down by product.
Some product attributes (e.g. SKU, brand, price) can be updated in bulk. Click Edit Products and the products with listing errors will be loaded into the Bulk Edit Products screen.
Missing required fields that are preventing the products from being listed are highlighted. If your products are missing SKUs, we’ll automatically generate some for you (you can change them).
Once you’ve fixed your product details, save your changes, then try listing again.
Listing products with variants in bulk? All variants that have available stock will initially be included in the listing. To remove a particular variant from appearing at eBay, you’ll need to uncheck it in the Product Listing Details page. This is true for both new and relisted products.
Changing Active Listings
1. On the product list page, select eBay from the Channels drop-down next to a product.
2. On the Product Listing Details page, make your changes and Save when finished. Updates are reflected at eBay quickly, usually within a minute.
Note: If the payment policy on an eBay listing created in BigCommerce is changed, it will break the connection between eBay and BigCommerce for that specific listing. If this happens you be unable to update the listing from BigCommerce.
Hiding a listing will set its available stock to zero (at eBay only) and mark it as “out of stock” on eBay. This allows the listing to maintain a consistent ItemID at eBay, which helps to improve inventory management, retain sales history, and improve SEO. You can delete listings using the Delete Listing button (see Deleting Listings below).
To hide a product from eBay, in the product list, check the box next to the product and select Hide products on channels from the Bulk Actions drop-down. Check the box next to eBay, then click Hide products.
Be careful! Listings created in BigCommerce should also be hidden via the BigCommerce control panel. It is possible to end a listing created in BigCommerce at eBay directly, however this will break the connection between eBay and BigCommerce and you'll be unable to relist it again using the same SKU and Product ID. Our engineering team is aware of this issue and are working to resolve it.
To delete a listing, go the bottom of the Product Listing Details page and click the Delete Listing button.
If you want to change the category of an existing listing, you'll need to delete the listing first. You'll then be able to make your change and recreate the listing using the same SKU. Be aware that deleting and recreating a listing may incur new listing fees.
Orders received from eBay are listed on your Orders screen with an eBay icon.
For orders received from eBay, buyer order notifications are controlled and sent from eBay instead of BigCommerce. You can adjust your notifications settings in the Seller section of your eBay account dashboard.
- Since billing is handled by PayPal via eBay, orders from eBay have the shipping address also appear as the billing address.
- Orders from eBay do not include the email address of the eBay customer.
- Order messages from eBay customers do not appear in BigCommerce.
- Use your eBay Seller Dashboard if you need to contact an eBay buyer or check order messages.
When certain order statuses are updated in BigCommerce, they are automatically synced to the order at eBay. Conversely, if an order status is updated at eBay, its status is automatically updated in BigCommerce.
When you create a shipment or change an order status, that data (status, tracking information) is relayed to eBay to then forward to the buyer. It can take a few minutes to update status and tracking information at eBay.
Below is a list of BigCommerce statuses and their eBay equivalents. Not all BigCommerce order statuses translate to eBay order statuses (e.g. Refunded).
Cancellations, Returns and Refunds
- Order cancellations and refunds (full and partial) are managed from your eBay Seller dashboard.
- If an order is cancelled at eBay, the order status for that order in BigCommerce will update to Cancelled. Even if the order is then refunded at eBay, the status will remain Cancelled in BigCommerce.
- If an order is partially refunded at eBay, the order status for that order in BigCommerce will update to Refunded.
- Updating an order's status to Refunded in BigCommerce will not update the corresponding order's status to Refunded at eBay.
- Returns are initiated by the buyer on eBay's site. You'll receive notification and next steps in your eBay Seller dashboard.
Orders from eBay are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV and order count, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing.
Partial shipments: Partial fulfillment of a single item is not supported. For example, if a shopper buys quantity 2 of a single product (a bicycle) and you create a shipment for just 1 of them, eBay will mark the entire order as fulfilled.
Special Offer - Get 3 Months of eBay Premium Stores
Merchants new to eBay who sign-up through BigCommerce get 3 free months of an eBay Premium Stores subscription.
To qualify for the offer, you’ll need to create your new eBay business account when you enable eBay in your control panel. See the section above on Setup to get started.
For a full description of eBay’s Terms & Conditions for this offer, go to:
There are two fees for listing a product in the eBay marketplace: an insertion fee and a final value fee.
When you list an item for sale on eBay from BigCommerce, you'll be charged an insertion fee. The fee for one listing for one month is $0.30 for standard sellers and can be as low as $0.05 for eBay Stores subscribers.
All listings created in BigCommerce are Fixed Priced and Good 'Til Cancelled format. That means if the item does not sell after 30 days, it will automatically be relisted and a new insertion fee will be assessed.
- All eBay sellers are entitled to (at least) 50 free insertion fee credits per month.
- eBay Store subscribers get even more, based on their subscription plan.
Final value fee
If your item sells, you will be charged a final value fee. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, including shipping and handling charges. Sales tax is not included.
- For standard eBay sellers, this is 10% of the total amount of the sale.
- The maximum final value fee for standard sellers is $750.
- For eBay Stores subscribers, this is between 4-9%, depending on the category.
- The maximum final value fee for eBay Stores subscribers is $250.
In addition to insertion and final value fees, eBay also assesses other listing/service fees including:
- advanced listing upgrade fees
- eBay Promoted Listings fees
- supplemental service fees
Currently, these services cannot be administered/managed from BigCommerce and are only available from within your eBay account. You will not be charged for them unless you manually enable them from your eBay seller account.
eBay Stores Subscription
For merchants, particularly high-volume sellers, there are many benefits to having an eBay Stores subscription:
- more free insertion fee credits
- discounted insertion fees
- lower final value fee rates
- increased eBay buyer confidence
- access to tools to help promote, advertise, and analyze your eBay store and listings
Store subscription costs range from $19.95 - $349.95 per month depending on package type and billing cycle (monthly vs. yearly).
Once your sales from eBay reach a certain point, you'll save money by having an eBay Stores subscription.
For example, take a standard seller who has:
- 1,000 listings
- 1,000 items sold
- $10 per sold item
- $10,000 in total monthly sales
Without a store subscription, this seller would assess $1,285 in fees:
With a Premium Store subscription, this seller would only assess $659.05 in fees:
Use eBay’s Fee Illustrator to enter your number of listings, items sold, and average order value to see how much you could be saving with a eBay Stores subscription.
When adding your store's products to eBay, you may encounter a warning or error message when attempting to list. Some of the more common errors are listed below.
This is not a complete list - if your error isn't listed here, or the potential solutions don't help with your issue, please contact our support team and we'll help get your products into the eBay marketplace.
|Error||What this means||Potential solutions|
|'Manufacturer Part Number' is required to list in this category.||Brand or MPN is missing on the product.||Add brand or MPN in Edit a Product.|
|An eBay category ID is required to list.||An eBay category was not selected for a product, and eBay was not able to infer from the product description or title the appropriate category.||Manually choose an eBay category on the Product Listing Details page, or make sure that the product name and description are accurate and specific enough for eBay to determine an appropriate category.|
|Invalid option SKU. SKUs must not have spaces [ ], forward slashes [/], or be more than 50 characters.||Option/variant SKUs cannot have spaces, forward slashes, or be more than 50 characters.||Update the option/variant SKU in Edit a Product.|
|Invalid product SKU. SKUs must not have spaces [ ], forward slashes [/], or be more than 50 characters.||Product SKU cannot have spaces, forward slashes, or be more than 50 characters.||Update the product SKU in Edit a Product.|
|Cannot revise listing. You are not allowed to revise ended listings.||A listing with this SKU on your account has already existed and that listing was ended on eBay.||None right now. Try listing the item using a new Product ID (create a new product) and SKU.|
|A user error has occurred. Buyers love large photos that clearly show the item, so please upload high-resolution photos that are at least 500 pixels on the longest side.||Product photos are not at least 500 pixels on the longest side.||Use photos that are at least 500 pixels on the longest side.|
- Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
- What if I only have a personal eBay account?
- What if I’ve exceeded my eBay seller limits?
- How do I disable/disconnect eBay?
- Dashboard notification: We seem to have lost the connection with your eBay account. Please click here to reconnect to eBay.
Channel Manager error: Oh no! Something went wrong with your integration. Please reconnect to continue using eBay.
- Why did my listings fail to import?
- What happens with my existing eBay listings?
- Can I create auction format listings?
- Can I create listings with 0 stock?
- How long does it take for my listing to appear on eBay?
- How long will my products stay listed?
- Why are some fields on the Advanced Listing Details page locked? Why can't I update them?
- Can I offer different shipping options for different products?
- How do I update shipping, tax, or return settings on active listings?
- How are product images ordered in eBay listings? Can I change the order?
- Why does my eBay listing appear to have duplicate photos?
- What if eBay has automatically mapped an item specific (like Style) and I need to change it?
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
There are no additional fees from BigCommerce. However, orders processed through our eBay integration are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing; eBay charges insertion and final value fees to use their service.
What if I only have a personal eBay account?
You can create a new account for your business or change your personal account into a business account type. See eBay’s article on How to register as a business.
What if I’ve exceeded my eBay seller limits?
You won’t be able to create additional listings until your listing count or total value is below your current seller limit. You can also request higher limits from eBay. Since insertion fees are assessed on every product listed on eBay, we don’t recommend listing your entire catalog all at once initially — especially if you are new to listing on eBay.
How do I disable/disconnect eBay?
Go to Channel Manager › eBay. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Disconnect Channel. For quality assurance, we ask your reason for disconnecting. After you’ve selected a reason, click Disconnect.
Dashboard notification: We seem to have lost the connection with your eBay account. Please click here to reconnect to eBay.
Channel Manager error: Oh no! Something went wrong with your integration. Please reconnect to continue using eBay.
If your eBay account password changes, it can break the connection between your BigCommerce store and your eBay account. Click the here link or Reconnect button to log into your eBay account and restore the connection. If your store gets disconnected, you'll see an alert in your dashboard and on the eBay Channel Manager setup page.
Can I list on eBay Motors? Can I list on eBay.ca?
These features are planned for a future release.
Can I list on eBay.com.au?
We recommend eBay LINK.
What if I use third-party inventory or order management apps?
Stock levels are automatically synced between your storefront and eBay in real time. If you are using third-party apps for order and inventory management, we recommend disabling the eBay channel sync in those apps since BigCommerce will serve as the single "source of truth" for both a product's storefront and eBay stock.
Can I get help with the old/legacy eBay integration?
Yes, see Using the Legacy eBay Integration.
Why did my listings fail to import?
Download the CSV report for import conflicts and errors. The Notifications column will have additional details.
What happens with my existing eBay listings?
If an order is received from eBay and the product does not already exist in your BigCommerce store (based on SKU), we will create a placeholder product for it. This is for order management and fulfillment purposes only. These placeholder products do not have a stock level, and cancelling the order in BigCommerce will not affect inventory for the product at eBay. Currently, inventory adjustments for these products must be performed in your eBay seller account.
If you are already selling products on eBay using our legacy eBay integration, those products will not show as being listed on eBay in the new product list. We recommend relisting those products using the new integration. To avoid duplicate listings, copy all the details for those listings from eBay to your BigCommerce catalog, then end those listings on eBay before relisting with the new integration. Keep in mind that settings in the legacy listing template may not match the settings in the new listing exactly. Support for multiple listing templates is planned for a future release.
Can I create auction format listings?
No, all listings created with BigCommerce are Buy It Now (fixed price) format.
Can I create listings with 0 stock?
Yes. For products with tracking enabled and 0 stock, a listing will be created but won't be purchasable. Listings with 0 stock are hidden from eBay search results. When you increase the quantity of items available, the listing is eligible again to appear in search results. Learn more about eBay's out-of-stock option.
How long does it take for my listing to appear on eBay?
Generally, updates happen within a few minutes. The amount of time depends on the number of listings and attributes being created/updated at once, and the amount of API traffic eBay is currently experiencing.
How long will my products stay listed?
All listings created with BigCommerce are GTC (Good Til Cancelled').
Why are some fields on the Advanced Listing Details page locked? Why can't I update them?
Per eBay's policy, listings with existing sales cannot be modified or changed (except for price and stock). For variant listings, SKUs cannot be added or removed. If you need to change an aspect of a listing with an existing sale, you'll need to delete and re-list it.
Can I offer different shipping options for different products?
Yes! You can create separate shipping and/or return policies for each of your different shipping options.
How do I update shipping, tax, or return settings on active listings?
To update the shipping and return options on already active listings, you'll need to edit the active listing from your eBay seller account. Updating your shipping, tax, or return settings in the eBay channel setup will not update active listings.
How are product images ordered in eBay listings? Can I change the order?
Product images in eBay listings follow the sort order defined in the product's details in your BigCommerce control panel. For products with variants, the main product images are shown first, followed by any variant-specific images. The Use as Thumbnail setting is not used by eBay — the listing will use the first product image as the thumbnail in eBay search results.
If you add new product images after a product is already listed on eBay, you'll need to update the listing by re-saving the Product Listing Details page, or by re-bulk listing the item before they'll be sent to eBay.
Why does my eBay listing appear to have duplicate photos?
If a photo doesn't exist for a specific variant, eBay will use the first main product photo to represent that variant.
What if eBay has automatically mapped an item specific (like Style) and I need to change it?
If eBay recognizes your product as matching one already in their catalog, it will attempt to automatically map its item specifics. If these automatically selected item specifics must be overridden, we recommend creating the listing directly from eBay in this case.
How long does it take for an order from eBay to appear in my BigCommerce control panel?
Generally, within a few minutes. The amount of time depends on the level of API traffic eBay is currently experiencing.
How do I create shipping labels for orders from eBay?
See Creating shipping labels and packing slips on eBay for help.
What happens if an order from eBay is cancelled?
For now, eBay orders cannot be cancelled from the BigCommerce control panel, and you’ll need to manage them from your eBay seller account.
How do I refund an eBay order?
Full and partial refunds are documented and managed in your eBay seller account.