If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below, there may be an issue with how your mail server settings are set up within your email client.
- you can send but not receive
- you can receive but not send
Review the following checklist and continue through the sections below to determine what is causing the issues and how to resolve them.
Supported Email Clients
- Microsoft Outlook
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Apple Mail
- iOS Devices
- Windows 7 Devices
You can also set up your email through a third-party host such as Gmail.
It often helps to try setting up email in another client, in case there is an issue with the email client you are trying to use. Thunderbird is an excellent free alternative.
Troubleshooting Email Settings
Check whether BigCommerce is set up to host your email by looking at the MX records in your control panel. MX Records are DNS records that control where email is hosted. If you are not using BigCommerce MX records, you will be unable to connect using BigCommerce credentials because your email is being hosted by another service.
1. Go to Server Settings › Email & DNS Records.
2. Under the Mail Servers tab, you should see MX records that look similar to the image below. Specifically, the value must contain bigcommerce.com.
If your MX records are not hosted with BigCommerce, contact the service that is hosting them for instructions on setting up email. If BigCommerce is hosting your email, go to Server Settings › Email Accounts to find your email account credentials and server settings such as the Incoming and Outgoing servers.
Once you have determined that you are using a supported email client, BigCommerce is hosting your email, and there are no problems with the server, you’ve narrowed down the issue to the credentials and server settings within your email client.
The credentials you are using in your email client may be incorrect. Check the following:
- The username should be the full email address, e.g. john-smith-at-gmail.com.
- The password should match the one used to create the email account. If you are not sure, reset the password by editing the email account and adding a new password.
If your email credentials are correct, then there may be an issue with how your server information was entered in your email client. If BigCommerce is hosting your email account, the server information can be found in the action menu under Account Details next to the email account you are trying to set up.
Once you've found the server information, check your email client for the following:
- your servers should match the servers listed under Incoming Server and Outgoing Server, e.g. mail#.bigcommerce.com
- make sure the ports have been entered correctly and correspond to the table below
Check SSL Authentication
Your email client will give you the opportunity to authenticate using SSL for both incoming and outgoing mail servers. Make sure SSL is checked for both.
Do you have any additional settings your email client requires?
Some email clients require additional settings that are required before you connect. Read through your email client’s tutorial to make sure that you have any additional requirements set up correctly.
If you are still unable to connect to your email server, the issue may be with your ISP, or internet service provider. Try contacting them to make sure there isn’t an issue with your store’s or BigCommerce’s IP address being blocked.
If this is the case, we recommend using a 3rd party email provider such as G Suite or Zoho Mail. These services also provide webmail and are instantly set up and ready to use.
Failed Sender Domain Match
If you are getting this error, it means that the "From" email that you are sending from doesn't match the BigCommerce email that you set up. These are required to match to prevent spam being sent from BigCommerce's mail servers.
When spam is sent from BigCommerce mail servers, it increases the possibility that the mail servers will be blacklisted, which will make any merchants using those mail servers unable to send or receive email. Spam also slows down the mail servers, delaying the arrival of emails.
Use the following steps to resolve this issue.
1. Compose an email as you normally would. Check the From email address to see what it lists.
2. In the BigCommerce control panel, go to Server Settings › Email Accounts and see what email account you have set up.
The email account in your store should match the "From" email address from the previous step. If they do not, you can take one of the following steps:
- set up the email account in the control panel as a separate account in your email client
- create a new email account in BigCommerce that matches the "from" email address (if it uses the same domain name, e.g. store.com)