Adding Web Pages
Web pages are a way to provide general information about your business or products. This article will outline the different options available on BigCommerce for creating web pages. When you create a web page, we have several methods for creating specific web page types:
- Contain content created using the WYSIWYG editor below — this will display a WYSIWYG editor below to enter your page content. The page may look different on the store front because the theme applies its own styling to each page.
- Link to another website or document — this displays fields to enter a link and type in a page name. The page name will display in your store's navigation.
- Display syndicated content from an RSS feed — displays a WYSIWYG editor and an address box to paste in the link to your RSS feed.
- Allow people to send questions/comments via a contact form — displays a WYSIWYG editor and a list of fields that you choose to display on the contact form
- Contain raw HTML entered in the text area below — displays an area to enter raw html without theme styling. This means the output will not include things like the store header and footer unless you code them in.
Creating a Web Page with WYSIWYG
The WYSIWYG Editor helps create web pages with a visual editor that automatically creates the necessary HTML code. It's great for general information pages such as FAQs or About Us type pages.
1. Go to Storefront Content › Web Pages, then click Create a Web Page.
2. For This Page Will, select Contain content created using the WYSIWYG editor below.
3. Name the page. This name will show in your navigation menu.
If you have a specific URL you'd like the page to use, you can change it in Page URL. By default, the page URL is generated automatically based off of the Page Name (best for SEO).
4. Add any information, messages, or pictures you'd like to include in the Page Content section. The Page Content section has the same functionality as the WYSIWYG Editor in your product pages.
No WYSIWYG Editor? The options Link to another website or document and Contain raw HTML entered in the text area below do not use a WYSIWYG Editor. These require different inputs explained below.
5. Save your changes.
Displaying an RSS Feed
The option Display syndicated content from an RSS feed allows for feeds from 3rd party or off-site RSS feeds.
1. Go to Storefront Content › Web Pages , then click Create a Web Page.
2. For This Page Will, select Display syndicated content from an RSS feed.
3. Enter a title for the page in the field Page Name, then paste the feed URL into RSS Feed field under the WYSIWYG editor.
4. Save your changes.
For information about Syndication Feeds see Using Syndication Feeds.
Creating a Contact Form
Entering Raw HTML
The option Contain raw HTML entered in the text area below will display a plain text box instead of the WYSIWYG Editor. This page type allows you to input the complete HTML of a page which will render exactly as it is entered in this text field, ignoring your storefront template. This option is ideal if you are transfering from another platform.
All page types will include some Advance options such as metadata, layout templates, and if the page is only visible to visitors who are signed into their account.
This field specifies a page title to be used as the HTML title tag. Your page title should include keywords people might search for to find this page. Leave this field blank to use the page's name as the title.
This field specifies the keywords that will appear in the HTML meta-keywords tag. Enter terms separated by commas.
This field specifies the description that will appear in the HTML meta description tag. You'll want to have a clear and concise meta description. While not specifically a search engine ranking signal, it's still important that the descriptive text below your link be enticing to searchers.
Not to be confused with Meta Keywords, Search Keywords are used when customers search from within your store. The search keywords are optional, but if entered will be used to assist people when searching your pages. Enter keywords separated by commas.
Template Layout File
Advanced users can create an alternate template layout file to use instead of the default one. If you've done this, you can select the layout file here.
Display as Home Page
If you tick this box, then this page will be displayed as the home page of your store. When this box is not ticked, then the default home page containing new products, featured products and the carousel will be displayed instead.
Restrict to Customer Only
If you tick this box, this page will only be accessible to customers who are logged in to your store.
The order in which this page will be displayed in the navigation menu. A lower number will move it up in the navigation while a higher will move it down. Negative numbers may be used.