Creating Downloadable Products
In addition to physical products, you can also create and sell digital files. We call these Downloadable products.
This is accomplished by uploading the file(s) the server and attaching the file to the product.
- There is no limit to how many files can be attached to a downloadable product.
- Files can be uploaded through the control panel or via WebDAV.
- Maximum file upload size is 512 MB, regardless of the upload method.
- Downloadable products can also be created via product CSV import.
- Downloadable products cannot be offered for pre-order.
Adding a Downloadable Product
1. Add a new product, and for Product type, select Downloadable product. A new tab called Product Files will appear at the top of the page.
When you select Downloadable product, fields that are not applicable to downloadable products are removed. This includes:
- Inventory tab
- Delivery/Event Date tab
- Width, Height, and Depth
- Shipping cost info
- Pre-order availability (downloadable products cannot be pre-ordered)
2. Click the Product Files tab.
You'll see a list of attached files for this product (it will be empty if the product is new), and a section to Upload a New File.
- Description (optional) — this will appear in the invoice and in the customer's account when they download the file
- File to Upload — choose between uploading a file from your computer or a file on the server
- Disable Downloads After — lets you choose how long (days/weeks/months/years) after the customer's purchase they will continue to be able to download the file
- Maximum Downloads — lets you limit how many times the customer can download the file
To use a file already on the server, it needs to be uploaded via WebDAV to the product_downloads/import folder. Files uploaded there will appear under the Please choose a file dropdown. Attached files remain in the product_downloads/import folder, so you can reuse them if necessary.
3. Click Attach File to Product and repeat the process for any additional files you want to include. There is no limit for how many files can be attached to a product.
4. Save when finished.
Downloadable Product Orders
If there are no physical products in the order, then the files will become immediately available for customers to download. They'll get a link to download their files after successfully completing payment, and will receive an email with a download link. Paid orders that contain only downloadable products will have a status of Completed.
If physical products are included in the order with the downloadable product, it will have to be manually set to Completed before the customer is given the download link.
If an order for a downloadable product is set to a Refunded or Cancelled status, the download link for that order will stop working. Clicking the link will result in a message on the storefront reporting "Something Went Wrong... You have requested an invalid product download. Please try again."