This guide will walk you through the basics of adding a product. If you haven't created or modified your categories yet, we suggest doing that first.
Go to Products › Add. You will be taken to the Edit a product page on the Details tab.
There are five required fields that you need to fill out before you save the product. These can all be found in the Product Summary section.:
- Product Name (no special characters)
- Tax Class — allows you to select the tax class a product belongs to; normally left as Default Tax Class (more details)
- Avalara Product Tax Code — if you've linked your Avalara Premium account, determines how this product should be taxed
- Category (click the + to see the subcategories)
- Product type (physical or downloadable)
- Weight (for physical products)
- Product code/SKU (optional)
Click on the More pricing link. You will see a few more pricing options appear, all of which are optional:
- Cost Price — the cost of your products to you; this is never shown to customers, but can be used for accounting purposes
- Retail Price — the retail price for your product; will show next to your product's price
- Sale Price — if used, replaces your regular product price; if a retail price is also entered, may cross out the retail price
Fill out your product description with information about your product. This section uses the WYSIWYG Editor, so you can add text, bullet points, links, or additional images and videos.
Any settings you select here will override what you set up in your Shipping Settings.
- Free Shipping — the product will ship for free internationally(more details)
- Dimensions (width, height, depth) — dimensions used by real time shipping quote providers such as USPS or CanadaPost
- Fixed Shipping Cost — the product will ship for this cost internationally
- Special Handling Required — this setting will be used in an upcoming shipping integration
In this section, you can choose between the following options:
- This product can be purchased in my online store (default)
- This product is coming soon but I want to take pre-orders
- Message — the message that will display in place of the Add to Cart button
- Release date — the date you expect the product back in stock
- Remove pre-order status on this date — if selected, the product will be changed back to Product can be purchased in my online store automatically
- This product cannot be purchased in my online store — for products to be marked as catalog-only
- Show "Call for pricing" message instead of the price — if selected, you will get a field to type in your desired "Call for Pricing" message
Once you've completed this page, you're ready to add images and videos to your product. You can also add additional product settings.
Saving Your Product
Click Save to save your changes. You will remain on the Edit a Product page.
Click the arrow next to the Save button to see the following options:
- Duplicate — create an identical product
- Add another — add another product (from scratch)
- Close — save and return to the list of products
Once you're comfortable with this workflow, check out how to import products using a CSV to add multiple products at a time.