Creating Cart-Level Discounts
Cart-level discounts are a way to set up product discounts based on whether the customer's shopping cart has met certain criteria, such as including certain products or brands, meeting a certain order amount, or even whether the customer has purchased before.
Due to the nature of cart-level discounts, they will not be apparent to the customer until after they have added products to their cart. For this reason, we recommend advertising your discounts with a marketing banner or on your store's carousel.
To access Cart-Level Discounts, go to Marketing › Cart-Level Discounts.
Types of Cart-Level Discounts
Free Shipping discounts
- Order at least X units of product Y, get free shipping to specific shipping zones
- Order at least $X, get free shipping to one or more shipping zones (you will see additional options for a Free Shipping message)
Just so you know... If your discount conflicts with your shipping zone setup, the discount rule will take priority over the shipping zone rule.
- Buy one get one free
- Buy one get something else free
- Buy (X units) of Product A, get (Y units) of Product B for $ or % off per unit
To learn more about this discount see Creating Product Level Discounts.
- Apply a $ or % discount to the order subtotal, on orders of $X or more
- Apply a tiered $ or % discount to the order subtotal, based on the order value
- Order at least $X, get one unit of Product Y for $ or % off
- Order at least $X, get Y% off (one or all) unit(s) of the (least or most) expensive item(s) in the cart (e.g. Order at least $100, get 20% off the least expensive item in the cart)
- Get $X or % off all items in one or more categories (can exclude certain subcategories)
- Buy X units in (Category A), get Y additional units in the same category free (must be of equal or lesser value)
- Apply a tiered discount to applicable products based on the quantity of items ordered within one or more categories
- $X discount for repeat customers (i.e. customers with registered accounts)
- X% discount for repeat customers (i.e. customers with registered accounts)
- Apply a $ or % discount to each item in one or more brands (can exclude certain brands)
Offering a free item? If you are using one of the Buy One Get One discounts, it will only add the free item if the shopper clicks the banner prompt on the Cart Page.
Viewing Cart-Level Discounts
Go to Marketing › Cart-Level Discounts . Your existing and sample discounts will be displayed.
In addition to the list of your discount rules, you can also see the following statistics and settings:
- Number of times used — how often the discount rule has been triggered / total number of allowed uses
- Start Date/Time — the date and time on which the rule is/was activated
- Activated — whether or not the rule is currently active; check or uncheck to enable/disable
- Stop After This Rule? — see explanation below
Multiple discount rules can run on qualifying orders. For example, you have a rule that gives them 10% after spending $20, and another that gives them 50% if they spend $75, if the shopper spends $100 they qualify for both discounts. The order in which the discount rules are arranged is the order in which they will be run for each order. You can rearrange them by dragging them up or down in the list. If Stop after this rule is checked for a discount rule, none of the rules below it will run if it is triggered. This will prevents discount rules from stacking up.
Click Action › Edit to edit the settings of an existing discount rule.
Creating a Cart-Level Discount
1. Click Create a Discount Rule.
2. Enter a Rule Name - this is an internal name that you can use to keep track of your discounts.
3. Select a Rule Type - The category of rule you want to set up, then select the individual rule you wish to use. See Discount Types above for a full list of rules and rule types.
If you are using a rule that requires additional information, such as selecting a particular product or category, add that information now. You can also to discount a product with options / SKUs.
4. Select All Customers or a specific Customer Group. Use this to specify which customers are eligible to receive the discount rule. For example, you may want to limit the discount to wholesale, high-value, or new customers. For more information, see Setting up Customer Groups.
5. Choose the rule's Duration. Use this to specify a start and end date and time for your discounts to run. Just select your start date from the calendar, and the start and end time. This will use the time zone in your Date and Time Settings.
For more on the Duration feature, see Duration Dates and Times.
6. Limit the usage of this discount. You can limit discounts to a certain number of uses.
- Make this discount rule inactive after X uses — refers to total uses, not uses per customer
7. Activate. Select this to make your rule begin taking effect. Unchecking it will disable the rule but keep it in your control panel for later use.
Duration Dates and Times
The duration settings allow you to set a specific period during which your discount should run. When selecting your date period, keep the following in mind:
- All dates and times will be in your store's time zone (see Store Settings).
- Rules will only apply to orders placed after the rule was created, regardless of start date and time.
- If you update your store's time zone or change the Daylight Savings Time setting, your rule will start at its original starting time. For example, if your rule is set to begin at noon, and you move forward one hour in time, your rule will now start at 11 am in your new time zone.
- All discount rules created prior to the start date/time feature have been given a start date of Monday, July 6 at 12 am.
Discount Rule Banner
To notify shoppers of the discount, messaging can be placed in various areas of the store to upsell, announce eligibility and congratulate. The banners will trigger only if the shopper meets the parameters of the discount and if content has been added to the appropriate banners. These banners are optional and utilize the WYSIWYG Editor so, they can include images and links to specific pages. By default the banners will take on the theme's styling and look like this:
Congratulations Banner Message
This banner displays on the cart page when the shopper has qualified for the discount and it has been applied.
Eligible Banner Message
This banner displays on the cart page when a shopper qualifies for an order. It's useful for Buy One Get Something Else free where the shopper needs to pick options.
Upsell Banner Message
This banner can be placed on the home, product, cart and checkout pages. The message appears when a shopper has added something to their cart but does not qualified for a discount yet.
These placeholders can be used in the above message boxes. Some placeholders only apply to certain Discount types.
- %%condition.required%% — The total number of items or spend amount required to satisfy the condition.
- %%condition.matched%% — The number of matching items in the cart or the total cart value contributing to satisfying the condition.
- %%condition.remaining%% — The number of items or spend amount remaining to qualify.
- %%action.discount.applied%% — The actual discount amount applied by the rule.
- %%action.discount.configured%% — The discount amount set when the rule was created.
- %%action.offers.redeemed%% — The number of items that have been discounted.
- %%action.offers.redeemable%% — The number of items for which a discount is available but not redeemed.
- %%action.offers.total%% — The total number of items eligible for discount.