Product filtering (also known as faceted search) allows shoppers to refine product searches based on multiple attributes like price, color, size, reviews and more. Amazon, eBay, and even non-transactional sites like Yelp all use this technology. It can make a huge impact in conversion and ease of use.
- Product filtering is available to Pro and Enterprise plans. See Changing Your Store’s Plan for help upgrading.
- Product filtering with support for Custom Fields is available to Enterprise plans only.
- Products and variants must have a SKU in order to appear in an option-based filter. (Note: Each product can have a maximum of 600 SKUs.)
- Each filter (e.g. color) can have an unlimited number of values (e.g. red, green, and blue), but only up to 500 of the most commonly-used values will be displayed.
- Filters will only display if there are products available with those attributes.
- If a filter has more than 15 values, additional values are displayed under a More... link.
Your store can display up to 12 filters, which can be any combination of the following facets:
- Category — filters by product category or sub-category; only used on Brand and Search pages
- Brand — filters by the brand specified for the product
- Price — filters by the base price of the product; does not include variant prices
- Rating — filters by product review rating; must be using BigCommerce’s product reviews
- Other — enables additional filters:
- Products with free shipping
- Featured products
- Products that are in stock
- Product Options — filters by product options
- Custom Fields (Enterprise only) — filters by custom fields. (Note: Product options and custom fields that have the same name will be treated as a single filter. If names differ in case or spacing, they will be treated as different filters.)
Setup & Settings
Go to Products › Product Filtering to enable Product Filtering.
Edit the settings for each filter by clicking the Settings icon (...) to the right.
Each filter will contain a combination of the following settings (not all settings are applicable to all filters):
- Display name — the label for the filter as it appears on your storefront
- Sort — determines whether the option values for the filter are displayed Alphabetically, By option value order, or By item count.
- Alphabetically — alphabetized by value name (e.g. blue, green, red, yellow)
- By option value order — the order of values defined when creating or editing an option
- By item count — sorted by the number of products that share this value, from highest to lowest
- Show — the number of filter option values to display (5, 10, or 15). If you have more than 15 values in an option, a More... link will display to allow customers to show all values.
- Display Product Count — displays the number of matching products in parenthesis
- Collapsed by default — determines whether the filter is collapsed (closed) by default and requires the customer to click it to see its options.
Click the green ✔ or red ❌ in the Visible In Storefront? column to manage which filters appear on category, brand and search pages.
Your filters show on the storefront in the same order they appear in the control panel. You can rearrange them by dragging and dropping them up and down the list.