Some payment gateways allow you to process refunds through BigCommerce. If your gateway is not in the list below, you will need to login to your payment gateway's virtual terminal to process the refund, then update the order status in BigCommerce to Refunded or Partially Refunded.
If you have any accounting integrations with your BigCommerce store, we recommend using one of the payment gateways listed below, as the refund transaction will be contained within the BigCommerce Control Panel and therefore can be passed to the accounting solution. Performing refunds outside of the BigCommerce product (i.e. within your payment gateway's virtual terminal) will not be captured via the accounting integration.
To process a refund through BigCommerce, you must be using one of the following gateways:
- PayPal powered by Braintree
- First Data Global Gateway e4
- Quickbooks Payments
- Global Payments
- Pin Payments
- PayPal Express
- PayPal Website Payments Pro
- PayPal Payflow Pro
1. Go to Orders › View.
2. Locate the order you wish to refund, then click on Action › Refund.
3. You can refund the full amount or a partial amount, and optionally have your inventory updated to account for the returned items if enabled in your Inventory Settings. After choosing these options, click Refund.
Processing a full refund can trigger an order notification email, if it is enabled in your Checkout Settings.
If you have trouble issuing a refund, make sure that the payment in question has been settled. Some payment gateways settle transactions at a particular time every day, or dictate that a transaction must be older than 24 hours before it can be refunded. These are the most common causes of refunds not processing correctly.