Some payment gateways allow you to process refunds through BigCommerce. If your gateway is not in the list below, to refund an order, you will need to log into your payment gateway's dashboard to process the refund, then update the order status in BigCommerce to Refunded or Partially Refunded.
Only refunds performed in the BigCommerce control panel will be passed to third party accounting integrations. Performing refunds outside of the BigCommerce product (i.e. within your payment gateway's dashboard) will not be captured via the accounting integration.
Payment Gateways That Allow Refunds Through BigCommerce
- Amazon Pay (See Connecting with Amazon Pay for more information.)
- Chase Paymentech
- First Data Payeezy Gateway
- Global Payments
- Klarna Payments
- PayPal Express
- PayPal Payflow Pro
- PayPal powered by Braintree
- Pin Payments
- Quickbooks Payments
Only these payment gateways allow refunds from the BigCommerce control panel. For all others, log into your payment gateway's dashboard to perform refunds.
Performing a Refund
1. Go to Orders › View.
2. Locate the order you wish to refund, then click on Action › Refund.
3. You can refund the full amount or a partial amount, and optionally have your inventory updated to account for the returned items if enabled in your Inventory Settings. After choosing these options, click Refund.
Processing a full refund can trigger an order notification email, if it is enabled in your Checkout Settings.
If you have trouble issuing a refund, make sure that the payment in question has been settled. Some payment gateways settle transactions at a particular time every day, or dictate that a transaction must be older than 24 hours before it can be refunded. These are the most common causes of refunds not processing correctly.