Product reviews are comments submitted by customers or viewers of your site directly onto the product page. You can manage product reviews using the built-in comment system, or a third party such as Disqus or IntenseDebate. This tutorial covers the built-in BigCommerce review system to manage reviews and send review requests to your customers.
Enabling and Disabling Product Reviews
1. Go to Advanced Settings › Comments.
2. Select Built-in (or your third-party review system), then Save. Click the Built-in tab that appears along the top of the page.
3. Check the box next to Product Reviews to enable the built-in system. To disable it, uncheck the box.
4. To prevent spam on your store, you can select Only accept product reviews from past customers. Customers leaving a review must enter the email address they used when purchasing that product, or the review will not be processed.
5. Save your changes.
Managing Product Reviews
Only approved reviews will appear on your store, although you can approve your reviews automatically. Product reviews are managed under Products › Reviews. From here you can approve, disapprove, and delete reviews in bulk. You can also edit the content of individual rules if desired.
Did you know? You can email a reviewer by clicking their name under the Posted By column. This can be helpful in understanding why the reviewer left the review and provides an opportunity to make the issue right.
Approving, Disapproving, and Deleting Reviews
Check the box to the left of the reviews you would like to perform an action on.
- Approve reviews - click Approve Selected for the selected reviews to appear on your product page
- Disapprove reviews - click Disapprove Selected for the selected reviews not to appear
- Delete reviews - click Delete Selected for the reviews to be deleted from the system entirely
Editing Individual Reviews
1. To edit individual reviews, click the Action icon › Edit. You will be taken to the Edit Review page. From here you can alter the following:
2. Save your changes.
The following store settings can be found in Store Settings under the Display tab.
- Product Reviews Per Page — How many reviews show on a product page. If there are more reviews than this number, Previous and Next navigation buttons will appear.
- Auto Approve Reviews? — New reviews will be approved and displayed automatically.
To limit how many reviews are placed on your site within a given time frame, you can enable the review throttler and edit its threshold. This can decrease the number of potential spam reviews placed on your store if you chose not to limit reviews to verified customers under Settings › Comments.
1. Go to Store Settings and click on the Miscellaneous tab.
2. Scroll to the Throttler section at the bottom of the page.
3. Check the Enable Throttler box to enable the throttler, then enter your preferred review throttle settings below.
Product Review Email Settings
Product review emails are invitations to your customers to review the product(s) they purchased from you. This email is automatically sent after a certain number of days after the order is marked as Shipped or Completed, and includes links to the product pages of the items they purchased.
To disable review emails or to change how long after the order's status change the email is sent out, use the following steps.
1. Go to Store Setup › Store Settings and click on the Miscellaneous tab.
2. Next to Product Review Emails, uncheck Product Email Reviews to disable reviews, or change the number to how many days after the order is completed the email should be sent.
Customizing the Product Review Email
To customize this email, you can edit product_review_email.html under Storefront Design › More › Emails.
You will see multiple variables in the email template. Any of these can be changed or removed, but we recommend that you keep %%SNIPPET_ProductReviewItems%% (this will show the products that were ordered) and %%LNG_ProductReviewEmailUnsubscribe%% (this will allow for your customers to unsubscribe from review email reminders). To directly edit how the items are shown, open the Snippets folder and edit ProductReviewItem.html. For more information on editing email templates, see Customizing Email Templates.
Product Review Email Preview
This is the default product review email. If you've customized our product review email template, the resulting email may not necessarily look like this.
Subject: Invitation to Review Products You've Recently Purchased
Thanks for your recent order with us!
If you have a few minutes, we'd like to invite you to review the products you ordered. Just click on the link below to write a review and share your opinion with other shoppers.
[Product Name] - Review this product
Thanks in advance for taking the time to review the products you purchased!
[Your Store's Name]
My Store is powered by BigCommerce. Launch your own store for free with BigCommerce.
Unsubscribe from future emails like this