Manually Capturing Transactions
What We'll Cover
Payment Gateways that Allow "Authorize Only"
- Cybersource (non-hosted)
- First Data Global Gateway e4*
- Heartland Payment Systems
- PayPal Express
- PayPal Payflow Pro
- PayPal Website Payments Pro*
- Sage Pay/Protx VSP Direct
- QBMS v2*
*Only these payment gateways allow capturing funds from the BigCommerce Control Panel. For all others, log into your payment gateway's virtual terminal to capture funds.
Authorizing Without Capturing
This feature allows your payment gateway to authorize the charge without actually withdrawing the funds from the customer's account until you approve it. For example, some store owners prefer not to charge their customers until the order is ready for shipment.
Authorizations will expire after a certain amount of time determined by the payment gateway.
Setting up Authorize Only
1. In your BigCommerce control panel, go to Store Setup › Payments.
2. Click on the tab of the payment gateway.
3. Next to Transaction Type, select Authorize Only. The wording may be similar if not exact.
4.Save your changes.
Capturing Funds Within BigCommerce
As noted above, you can only capture funds within BigCommerce if you are using the payment gateways with an asterisk (*) listed above. For all others, log into your payment gateway's virtual terminal.
Capturing Funds for a Single Order
1. Go to Orders › View.
2. Click the + next to the order you wish to capture funds for.
3. Click Capture Funds in the Billing section of the order details. A confirmation pop-up will display. Click Ok to capture funds.
If the funds are successfully captured by your payment gateway, you will notice the order's status change from Awaiting Payment to Awaiting Shipment or Awaiting Fulfillment depending on your gateway.
If for any reason the funds cannot be captured, an error message will display at the top of the of the View Orders screen. If this occurs, contact your payment gateway for additional information.
Capturing Funds for Multiple Orders
1. Check the box next to the orders you want to capture funds for.
2. Select Capture Funds for Selected from the Choose an action menu, then click Confirm.