Using Order Actions
To help you move orders forward through the fulfillment process, each order listed in the View Orders page will have an Action menu to the far right. Clicking it will reveal what actions can be performed for an order, such as editing the details of the order, shipping the products and refunding a payment, just to name a few.
Performing actions on an order will change the status of the order, but manually changing the order status will not perform an action. For example, if you want to refund a customer’s order, you will need to use the refund action in this menu. Just changing the order status in the drop-down menu will not refund the order.
- Edit Order — Edit the billing address, cart contents, shipping address, shipping method, payment method and discount charges on an existing order. See Editing an Order.
- Print Invoice — Print a paper or PDF invoice containing pertinent order information. See Printing an Order Invoice.
- Print Packing Slip — Print a paper or PDF packing slip containing pertinent shipment information. See Printing Packing Slips.
- Resend Invoice — Send a copy of the invoice to the email address associated with the customer.
- Send Message* — Send an order message to a customer.
- View Notes* — Add and see any Order Comments and Staff Notes about the order. Order Comments are visible on invoices; Staff Notes are only viewable in the control panel and are not seen by customers.
- Refund — Allows you to partially or fully refund an order. This action will only appear if the order was placed using a compatible payment gateway.
- Void Transaction — Will cancel the order and release any funds that may have been authorized. This action will only appear if the order was placed using an authorize only compatible payment gateway.
- Ship Items — Create a shipment which specifies a carrier, service, tracking number and shipping notes.
- View Shipments* — View details, update tracking numbers, and print packing slips for order shipments. This action will only appear if the Ship Items action has been used.
- View Order Timeline* — View timeline events pertaining to the order such as when the payment was authorized, the amount that was captured or past refunds.
*These actions are explained in more detail below.
Customers who have chosen to create an account can send messages about specific orders through their Account page on the storefront. Order message notifications are sent to the email address defined in your Order Notifications settings and are displayed in the View Orders page next to the order.
Clicking the message notification will take you to the View Messages page where you can reply by using the Send a Message button. In the control panel, the sender of the order message is the user's email address, unless it's the Store Owner user, in which case it appears as admin.
The Send Message action can also be used to keep your customers updated on the progress/status of their order.
View Order Timeline
The View Order Timeline provides details about an order's transactional history. Here you will find notifications of when payment authorization or capture took place as well as the specifics of past refunds. Note that the timeline will only show refunds processed through the new Line Item Refund update. See Processing Refunds to learn more.
Orders will display a unique icon to indicate a timeline is available.
The View Notes option allows you to add order comments or staff notes to an order without having to go through the edit an order workflow. Comments are visible on invoices while Staff Notes are only visible in the control panel and are not seen by customers.
Orders will display unique icons to indicate a staff note or comment has been added.
Order Comments Icon
Staff Notes Icon
The View Shipments option will only appear if the Ship Items action has been used. View Shipments allows you to see the details of the shipment, update the tracking number, and print a packing slip — all without the need to visit the View Shipments page.