Transferring Your Catalog to BigCommerce
We have moved over 20,000 stores from a variety of platforms and know that it can be a big project to take on. Our Catalog Transfer Apps allow you to migrate your Catalog data (Products, Options, Categories, Customers) into your new BigCommerce store from a variety of platforms such as Magento, Shopify, or Volusion, just to name a few.
They are free to use and available in the App Marketplace. They are ideal for those new to BigCommerce and should be the first step in relaunching your store on the BigCommerce platform.
- Your current store must be accessible from the internet.
- You must have full administrative access to your current store's control panel.
- Your current store must have no more than 10,000 SKUs. *
* We have a dedicated team that offers a service to handle moving significant amounts of data from complex sources. To learn more about this service, visit our catalog transfer services page or speak with an ecommerce consultant at 1-888-248-9325.
A catalog transfer consists of moving the data outlined below from your existing store into your BigCommerce store. Keep in mind that you will likely still have a bit of cleanup work to do after the transfer is complete, but we hope to get all the hard work done for you with minimal effort on your part.
- Categories — category name, sub-category names, and more
- Product — price, name, options, SKU, and more
- Customer — first and last name, address, email, and more
See the Catalog Transfer Statement of Work for a full list of the data that is and is not included in a catalog transfer.
The Catalog Transfer Apps allow you to move your catalog from the following platforms:
- Magento 2.0
- Yahoo (customer data not included)
- XCart 4.x
- Zen Cart
Each platform will have a unique set of instructions and credentials so be sure to select the catalog transfer app for your platform. If your platform is not listed, or if you need a custom catalog transfer, speak with one of our ecommerce consultants (1-888-248-9325) to discuss the process of moving your store to BigCommerce.
Only one app can be installed at a time. Contact our Catalog Transfer Services Team for assistance with any errors or issues you encountered while using the app through the App Support button located in the app's Contact section. General support questions should be directed to our technical support team.
Installing the Catalog Transfer App
1. Go to Apps › Marketplace.
2. Locate and select the catalog transfer app for your platform.
3. Click Install.
4. You will be asked to grant the catalog transfer app permission to integrate with your store. Click Confirm to continue.
5. You will be asked to review and agree to the BigCommerce Self Serve Catalog Transfer Terms and Conditions. Check I agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Continue when you are ready.
The app is now installed, but you will need to prepare your data before the transfer can begin. Use the app's menu to get started.
- Getting Started — General overview and information about the Catalog Transfer process.
- How To — Detailed step by step instructions on how to move your catalog specific to your platform.
- Transfer — The place to enter your platforms credentials required for the transfer.
- FAQ — A list of common questions related to the Catalog Transfer process.
- Contact — Contact information on the various support channels.
Watch out! All catalog data (such as products, customers, and categories) is removed from your BigCommerce store before the data from your current store is transferred. If you have any data you need to preserve inside your BigCommerce store we suggest exporting it before starting the transfer.
6. Once you have prepared your data and entered your credentials into the transfer form, click Start Catalog Transfer.
Does running a transfer affect my current store's catalog?
Not at all. During the transfer, your data will only be copied from your current store into your new BigCommerce store.
Will my product catalog be copied over exactly as it is on my current store?
We have done our best to account for as many variations in your data that we can, but some items will not come over exactly as they exist on your current store. Some cleanup work may be necessary after the transfer is complete.
Will customer orders be transferred?
Orders and order history are not included as part of the catalog transfer. We recommend exporting your orders to hold onto as a reference for any questions or tax purposes. See the Catalog Transfer Statement of Work for a full list of the data that is and is not included in a catalog transfer.
Is my store design transferred as well?
No, the design of your current store is not included as part of the transfer. However, our Stencil theme platform allows you to build a beautiful storefront that engages shoppers and encourages checkouts on any device.