With BigCommerce you can display prices in multiple currencies to help cater to a wide range of potential customers. When you first create your BigCommerce store, the default currency is set based on the location entered during the signup process.This default currency can be changed at any time to fit your business needs. Transactions are always processed using the default currency, additional currencies added will be for display only.
Which currency gets processed at checkout? The currency that payments are actually processed in will always be the default currency. If checkout is set to Optimized One-Page Checkout, the shopper will see their chosen display currency as well as which currency they will actually be charged. All invoice emails will display the prices in the store's default currency.
Adding a Currency
Use the following steps to add a new display currency to your store. You can also use these steps as a guide to edit an existing currency.
1. Go to Store Setup › Currencies.
2. To add a new currency to your store's list of supported currencies, click the Add a Currency button. To edit an existing currency, click Action › Edit.
3. Fill out the Currency Details section as follows:
- Currency Name — the title of the currency (E.g. "Dollar" or "Euro"). Leave this blank and click Set Name after selecting the currency code to use the suggested title.
- Currency Code — Select the currency code from the alphabetical drop-down.
- Currency Country/Region — the country or region that the currency will be associated with
- Exchange Rate
- Enter the exchange rate manually in the box below — Select this to specify a static exchange rate against your default currency. This option is not recommended due to the fluctuation of currency exchange rates.
- Get currency exchange rate from BigCommerce Currency Service (recommended) — Select this to use a live exchange rate. Click Get Rate to get the current exchange rate, which will be automatically updated once an hour through our integration with XE.
- Enabled? - Check the box for the currency to be enabled in your store.
4. Fill out the Currency Display section as follows:
- Currency Location — whether the currency token should display on the left (e.g. $10) or right (e.g. 10$) of the price
- Currency Token — the symbol or word for the currency (e.g. $ or kr). See a list of currency symbols.
- Decimal Token — the symbol that indicates a decimal point (e.g. "." as in "$1.99"). Find out what your currency uses.
- Thousands Token — the symbol that denotes groups of thousands (e.g. "," as in "$1,000").
- Decimal Places — the number of decimal places that display for prices in this currency. Usually 2, as in "$1.99"
5. Save your changes.
Your currency will now be displayed on the Currencies page in your control panel.
Changing Your Default Currency
Your default currency is the currency in which you enter your prices and in which your transactions and receipts are processed.
To change your store's default currency, you will need to add the new currency that you want to be default. Once you've created the new currency, click Action › Set as Default.
Changing the Currency on the Storefront
If you have multiple currencies enabled, a currency converter will display on your store that will allow your customers to choose among the currencies you have set up. If a visitor's IP address matches a selected country, they will see the appropriate currency automatically.