In BigCommerce, inventory tracking can refer to many things, including:
- maintaining an accurate count of how many of each of your products are available for purchase
- sending low stock alerts / notifications to yourself or your suppliers
- communicating stock levels and product availability to your shoppers
- automating stock level adjustments
- setting up out of stock product behavior
Stock Keeping Units, or SKUs, are unique identifiers used for tracking inventory. They can be assigned to simple products and to products with variations like different sizes or colors.
Set up Inventory Tracking
Go to Products › View. Edit a product by clicking its name, or Add a new one. On the Add/Edit a Product screen, click the Inventory tab.
Track Inventory for this product
Select Track Inventory for this product, then fill in stock levels.
- Stock Level — how much you have on hand
- Low Stock Level — when the stock level gets to here, you will be sent a notification that you are running low
Tracking inventory by options
Select Track inventory by options. Save your product. If you haven't created options yet, do so now.
Select the Options tab for the product, then select SKUs.
Create or edit SKUs for your product options. While creating or editing the SKUs, enter a stock level. Save your changes.
Updating Stock Levels
Stock for simple products can be updated from the Inventory tab when editing a product.
Stock for variants can be updated from the Options & SKUs tab, under SKUs.
Stock for simple products and variants can also be updated from the Products › View screen. Click the + next to the product thumbnail.
Updating Stock Levels in Bulk
Stock for multiple simple products can be updated at the same time using the Bulk Edit action in the control panel.Track Inventory, Current Stock Level, and Low Stock Level are all updatable fields when importing a product CSV.
If your products/variants have SKUs assigned, then you can also use Import/Export SKUs for stock updates. This decreases your import file's size and makes it easier to edit by eliminating unnecessary fields.
Out of Stock Settings
When a product is out of stock
- Hide the product completely — This setting will remove the product from product listing pages (e.g. category pages, brand pages, and the featured and new product panels on the homepage), and make the product details page inaccessible to visitors and search engines.
- Hide product, but leave product page accessible — This setting will remove the product from product listing pages but will leave the product details page accessible to those who have its specific URL, and search engines will continue to be able to crawl it.
- Redirect to category page — This setting will remove the product from product listing pages, and those who try to access the specific URL of the product details page will be redirected to the product's category.
- Don't do anything — This setting leaves the product visible on product listing pages and leaves the product details page accessible.
When an option is out of stock
- Hide the option — This setting will completely remove the option from the product details page.
- Mark the option as out of stock — This setting will leave the option on the product details page, but will mark it with a slash to visually indicate it is unavailable. If a shopper tries to select the option, they will receive a message: "The selected product combination is currently unavailable."
- Don't do anything — This setting will leave the option on the product details page, and does not visually indicate that it is out of stock. If a shopper tries to select the option, they will receive a message: "The selected product combination is currently unavailable."
You can enable and customize the out of stock message shown to shoppers with your Stock level display settings.
Order Adjustment Behavior
Update stock levels
- When an order is successfully placed — This setting will adjust the product's stock level when an order is successfully placed. These orders have a status of "Awaiting Payment" or "Awaiting Fulfillment".
- When order status is changed to completed or shipped — This setting will adjust the product's stock level when an order's status is changed to completed or shipped. This is recommended if you want to manually confirm stock levels in the fulfillment process before updating stock levels.
In addition to these settings, you can also control if stock levels are automatically adjusted when editing, refunding or canceling an order.
Stock Level Display & Out of Stock Message
- Show stock levels — This setting shows stock levels on the product details page.
- Only show stock levels when stock is low — This setting shows stock levels on the product details page if the product's inventory is at or below its Low Stock Level.
- Don't show stock levels — This setting will hide stock levels on the product details page.
- Show pre-order inventory — This setting shows stock levels for pre-order products, and only applies to pre-order products with inventory tracking enabled.
You can define a custom Out-of-stock message to display instead of the default generic "Sold Out" message. If Stock level display is set to Show stock levels, this custom message will appear on the product details page. Check the box for Show out of stock message on product listing pages to include the custom message on listing pages (e.g. category pages, brand pages, and the featured and new product panels on the homepage).
To be notified by email when a product's inventory is low or out, enter the address that you'd like to be emailed in one or both of the following fields.
- Low stock level reached — Will email the address entered when a product's inventory has reached its configured low stock level.
- Out of stock reached — Will email the address entered when a product's inventory has reached 0.