A user account gives someone access to the control panel of your store and can be used to log into the BigCommerce Community. User accounts are typically used to grant specific permissions to staff so they can perform jobs related to their roles without having the ability to change or edit sensitive parts of your store.
The primary user is the store owner which has unique permissions that only that user can perform. If you have other employees helping you with your store, you can create separate user accounts for their designer, salesperson, and warehouse manager. These accounts can be configured so that:
- the designer only has access to areas of the control panel relating to the look and feel of the site
- the sales staff can only create new products and change prices
- the fulfillment manager can only update orders and create shipments
Having a separate user account that reflects each team member's unique responsibilities helps to optimize workflow and prevent mistakes. Users can be assigned a built-in user role, have specific permissions granted one at a time, and be allowed access to individual single-click apps. Only the store owner can create new user accounts.
For more information, see User Roles and Permissions.
Adding User Accounts
Each user must have a valid email address they are able to check in order to confirm their account and create or reset their password. For security purposes, users create their own passwords — they cannot be preconfigured by the store owner or other users.
1. Go to Account Settings › Users.
2. Click the Create a User Account button.
3. In Email, enter the email address of the new user.
4. Select a User Role for the user. See User Permissions to learn more about user roles and permissions.
Within minutes of creating the account, the new user will be sent an email message asking them to confirm their address and create a password. The subject line of this email confirmation is "Confirm your BigCommerce account". If they don't see the message in their inbox, they may need to check their spam or junk folders.
Enable WebDAV Access
WebDAV is a way for store owners, developers, or designers to access the contents of your store directly via a network share on their computer or WebDAV client.
Check the box marked Enable WebDAV to give an individual user WebDAV access.
Once checked, the Password and Path credentials will be revealed, which the user will need when attempting to connect. The WebDAV username is the user's email address.
Determining Which User is the Store Owner
The Store Owner is the master user for your entire BigCommerce account. It is the first user account created when you start a new store and is granted all administrative permissions. Unless you've changed it, the Store Owner email address is the same address you used to create your trial store and BigCommerce account. There can only be one Store Owner user.
If you don't see Account Settings or Users in the navigation, you are not the Store Owner, and your user account has not been granted permission to access those areas.
Unlocking Your Account
To protect your account, after 6 unsuccessful login attempts, the user account associated with your email address is automatically locked. Follow these instructions to unlock your account.
To unlock the account, you need to go to the Need to unlock your account? screen. To access this screen, go to login.bigcommerce.com and enter your email address. You can type in anything in the password field.
When the screen below displays, enter the email address associated with your user account, then click Resend unlock instructions.
Look for an email with the subject line Instructions for unlocking your BigCommerce account. If it is not in your inbox, check your spam or junk folder.
Click the Unlock account link found in the email. You will be taken back to the login screen, this time with a message indicating that your account has been unblocked.
Resetting Your Password
If you were blocked because you forgot your password, you can reset it. Note that resetting your password will not unlock your locked user account. Follow these steps only after you have completed the steps in the Unlocking Your Account section.
1. Click the Forgot Password? link below the Log in button.
2. Enter your email address and click Email me reset link.
3. Check your inbox for an email with the subject line Instructions for resetting your BigCommerce account password. If you do not see the email in your inbox within 10 minutes, check your spam or junk folder.
4. Click the Change password button in the email. You will be taken to the Reset password page.
5. Enter your new password twice, once in the field labeled New password, and again in the field labeled Retype password, then click Reset password.
Your password must be at least 8 characters long, and include both letters and numbers.
The password reset email will only be sent if the email address you enter is an address associated with a user account in your store.
Can a user change their email?
- Users are able to change the name and email address they use to login by going to Account Settings › User Profile. They can also update their own passwords under Account Settings › Change Password.
What if my user still can't connect to WebDAV?
- If a user has difficulty connecting, click the Generate WebDAV Password button. Save your changes before attempting to connect with the updated password.
How do I make users for the Legacy API?
Why did I not receive an unlock/rest email?
- It occasionally can take more than 10 minutes for the email to arrive. If you are not the Store owner, it could be that your email is no longer associated with a store user account.