Sell on Instagram
Shopping on Instagram allows you to tag products from your Facebook Shop catalog directly in your Instagram photos. Users can discover more information about your products and can link directly to your store for purchase without ever leaving the Instagram app.
How It Works
Instagram connects to your Facebook account to gain access to your Facebook Shop product catalog. Once linked, you can use your catalog to tag products directly within the Instagram app on iOS and Android devices.
Once tagged, users see an icon in the post to indicate it’s shoppable. Tapping on the post reveals tags that contain information like product name and price. Tapping one of these tags reveals additional details like a description, extra photos, and a direct link to your storefront product page. Up to 5 products can be tagged in a single Instagram post.
- Available in 44 countries with support for their respective currencies.
- Your store must have Facebook Shop already set up and enabled.
- Instagram uses your Facebook Shop catalog to find and tag products.
- Facebook Checkout is not required.
- You must have an Instagram Business account.
- If you don’t have one, download Instagram on your phone to get started.
- If you already have an Instagram account, make sure it’s set up as a business account.
- You must connect your Instagram business account and Facebook business page.
- Catalog/account approval is at Instagram’s full discretion.
1. Go to Channel Manager › Instagram.
2. Confirm your store meets the necessary requirements (see above).
If your currency and Facebook Shop requirements are already met, you'll see a green checkmark next to those steps.
We are unable to check your Instagram account details, so there is no indicator (checkmark) to show if you have an Instagram Business account, if it is linked to your Facebook Business page, or if/when you've been approved for Instagram.
Once you're approved, your store's Facebook Shop product catalog will be available for tagging in your Instagram posts.
- Once you’ve met the requirements, Instagram will review your connected accounts, then you’ll receive a notification in your Instagram account.
- Usually, the review process takes a few days, but sometimes Instagram may need to review your account in more detail, which can take longer.
- Make sure you’re on the latest version of Android or iOS, and that you’ve got the latest Instagram app version installed.
Tagging Product in Instagram Posts
Before you begin:
- Your account must be approved for shopping on Instagram to tag products.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Instagram app.
To enable product tagging:
1. Go to your profile.
2. Tap the Get Started alert at the top of your profile.
3. If you don't see the alert in the image above, tap the gear icon.
4. Tap Shopping.
5. Tap Continue.
6. Select a product catalog to connect to your business profile.
7. Tap Done.
If you don't see Shopping under Business Settings, your account is probably still under review or it hasn't been approved for shopping on Instagram. Usually, the review process takes a few days, but sometimes we may need to review the account in more detail, which can take longer.
To tag products in your posts:
1. Select a photo and add a caption, effects and filters.
2. Tap the products in the photo that you want to tag.
3. Enter the names of the products you want to tag, then select them as they appear in the search box.
4. Tap Done.
5. Tap Share.
You can tag products in both new and existing posts from your Instagram business profile. You can tag up to 5 products per single-image post or 20 products per multi-image post.
You can edit or delete products you've tagged in single image posts on Instagram, but keep in mind that for multi-image posts, you can't edit or delete tagged products once your post has been published.
If you delete a product from the shop on Facebook or the product catalog that's associated with your business profile, the associated tag will be removed from any posts the product is tagged in. You'll also lose insights for the associated tag that's been deleted.
Product information in the tags and product details page will display the currency and language of your catalog to a global audience. We recommend using Insights on your Business Profile to understand your audience, and use the catalog containing the most relevant currency and language for your audience.
To preview posts or save a draft of a post, click Preview Tagged Products or Save Draft on the page that allows you to add a caption to your post, under Tag People and Tag Products.
Still having trouble? Learn how to troubleshoot common issues.
Checking Orders from Instagram
For now, orders from Instagram appear as orders from Facebook Shop in your control panel's Orders area.
Instagram order data, such as revenue, # of visits/orders and conversion rate, can be found in Analytics › Marketing › Social › Instagram. The line with l.instagram.com (notice the "L" in front) represents sales through Instagram.
About Shopping on Instagram
Q: What countries is Instagram Shopping supported in?
Q: Is there any additional cost or extra fee for enabling Shopping on Instagram for my BigCommerce store?
A: No. However, sales generated through Instagram and other built-in BigCommerce integrations are counted in your store's GMV/sales. Increased sales/revenue could result in your store being automatically upgraded, depending on your current plan. See BigCommerce Pricing for more information.
Q: What information will show in the post?
A: When someone taps into a tag, he/she will enter a product details view that will showcase an image of the product from the post, a description, price and a shop now link that takes a consumer directly to the business' website. This information may change over time as the product evolves.
Q: Can I preview posts and save as draft?
A: Yes. To preview posts or save as draft, click on “Preview Tagged Products” or “Save Draft” on the post composition page under “Tag People” and “Tag Products.”
Q: Will everyone be able to see these features?
A: This product is currently available in these 44 countries. People in these countries on iOS and Android devices are able to see these features. If a person is located outside of these countries, he/she will see the post without tags. In addition, business profiles using shopping posts will be able to see shopping posts outside of these countries.
Q: What are the requirements to access shopping on Instagram?
A: Instagram accounts, that have converted to a business profile, and sell physical goods directly to consumers in the countries listed above are eligible for shopping on Instagram. A business must also have a product catalog through Facebook Shops.
Application Criteria includes:
- Instagram business profile enabled
- Business must sell eligible physical goods
- Have a product catalog through Facebook Shops
Q: What happens to a business on IG that has one login, that multiple people use to post content? Will everyone who logs into the account be able to tag products?
A: Yes, those who have access to the Instagram business account will be able to see all product catalogs owned by or shared with the Business Manager connected to the Instagram handle via the associated Facebook Page.
- Individual [HAS ACCESS TO] Instagram Business Profile.
Q: How do I convert to a Business Profile on Instagram?
A: To convert your account to a business profile on Instagram, you must have a Facebook Page that you are an admin of (either from Page Settings or Business Manager). Once you have a Facebook Page, open your Instagram account and go to settings. From there, click on the “Switch to Business Profile” option, and you'll then be guided through the on-boarding process. Many businesses will also see a blue “megaphone” pop-up on their profile screen asking them to convert.
Q: How do I set up a product catalog on Facebook Shop?
A: See Sell on Facebook.
Q: I saw the megaphone but now I don't. How can I access it again? Or, I didn't set it up the first time.
A: If you dismissed the megaphone that prompted you to get started with tagging products on Instagram, it will reappear in a few days. However, you can always enable the ability to tag products on Instagram by navigating to your account settings. If you already have a product source connected to your Instagram and Facebook account:
1. Tap to Profile.
2. Tap to Settings.
3. Scroll down to Account section & tap Product.
4. Tap Continue.
5. View list of product catalogs associated with your selected Facebook page.
6. Tap on a product catalog. A blue checkmark appears on the right side of the list item.
7. Hit Next.
8. Tap Done to go to next screen.If you have not connected a product source to your Instagram and Facebook account, you will see “No Products Found.” Follow the instructions to make sure the Business Manager associated to the Instagram account (via the Facebook Page) either OWNS a product catalog or HAS ACCESS TO a product catalog (see bottom of Help Center article “Request access to a product catalog”) for which you would like to tag products from.
Q: Am I required to have a connection to Facebook, and how does this work?
A: Yes, all Instagram business profiles are associated to a Facebook Page at the time of creation. We then require that the Facebook Page is owned by a Business Manager in order to access product catalogs that are either owned by or shared with that Business Manager. To get started, ensure the following:
1. You HAVE ACCESS TO to Instagram Business Profile (via log-in).
2. The associated Facebook Page (this is a connection that was made when the business profile was created) IS OWNED BY a Business Manager.
3. The Business Manager either OWNS a product catalog or HAS ACCESS TO a product catalog (see bottom of Help Center article “Request access to a product catalog”) for which the individual would like to tag products from.
Q: Can I edit old posts to add tags?
A. Yes. See Tagging Products withing Instagram above.
Q: Are insights available for shopping posts?
A: Yes, insights are available for shopping posts and show engagement as well as click through data. If product tags are removed from the post, shopping post insights will also be lost.
- Insights on Shopping Posts
- On each shoppable post, click “View Insights” below the post image to see impressions, reach, likes, comments, and saves related to the post. The “Shopping” section of this page also shows views on the product details page (“Products were viewed on this post X times.”) and clicks off site (“The link to purchase was clicked X times.”)
- Top Posts
- Our insights tool allows you to sort top posts, including shopping posts, on a variety of metrics.
- From Profile, click the insights icon on the top right corner. From there, click “See More” in the Posts section and click the header on the next page. You should then be able to filter Shopping Posts by impressions, reach, engagement, likes, comments, saves, product opens, and outbound clicks by various time frames.
Q. How do you access insights on shopping posts?
A: You can view insights on shopping posts, as you normally view insights by tapping into your profile and then into the specific post.
Product Source Questions
Q: What policies apply to shopping on Instagram?
A: Businesses that set up shopping on Instagram must agree to Instagram/Facebook commerce policies. When submitting new items to the FB Shop's catalog, businesses must also adhere to product policy guidelines from product catalogs advertising guidelines.
Q: Why is the product I want to tag in my Instagram post is not appearing?
A: Every product in a catalog is reviewed for policy violation. If a product is not appearing, it may have been disapproved or is a duplicate product.
Your BigCommerce store’s system error logs can provide insight to why certain products may have been not approved by Facebook or Instagram. See Using Store Logs for more information.
Q: My product was disapproved. Where can I fix this and what does it look like?
A: We review all products to ensure they don't violate our Advertising Policies before appearing in ads. If your product violates our Advertising Policies, it will not be able to be used in your Instagram shopping ads. Businesses can try to update the product in the catalog with a non-trivial change (e.g. new image), and it will trigger a new review process. We are working on implementing a manual review process for rejected products on Instagram Shopping, but don't have timelines at this time.