Syncing Your Products with Square
Our Square point of sale integration allows you to import Square products into BigCommerce, export BigCommerce products into Square, then utilize automatic two-way syncing to keep accurate stock count.
Can I use Square as a payment gateway? If you want to allow your customers to check out using Square Payments, you can do so by following these steps. However, you do not need to be using Square Payments in order to sync your inventory with Square.
Requirements before Syncing
- Product Names — Before starting, make sure none of the products already in your BigCommerce store have the same name as the products you're importing from Square. Having products with duplicate names may result in product information coming over in a manner you don't intend.
- Variation Names — Variation names are required in Square in order to import SKUs into BigCommerce.
- Currency — Currently our integration works with CAD, EUR, GBP, NZD, AUD, and USD. If you are using a different currency, please visit our Ideas site and request this feature in your currency.
- Images — Not all image formats supported by BigCommerce are supported by Square. Square recommends JPG/JPEG or PNG format for your images.
How Does it Work?
This integration lets you export products from BigCommerce into Square and import products from Square into BigCommerce.
- Only products that don't already exist in the receiving platform will be created.
- When you add a new product (either in BigCommerce or in Square), you'll click the blue Import/Export button to synchronize your BigCommerce and Square catalogs.
- Once synced, any changes to stock (via purchases or manual stock updates) will automatically be updated in both places.
- A maximum of 25,000 SKUs can be transferred between BigCommerce into Square at a time. Stores importing or exporting more than 5,000 SKUs will experience significant delays.
The following product details are imported/exported between BigCommerce and Square:
- Product name
- Category (since Square does not support nested categories, only the top-level category will be passed to Square)
- Inventory/stock level
- Options (including stock level and price) - must be associated with SKUs
- Display Style for options is not a configurable setting in Square, so imported multiple choice options will default to radio button list style. This can be changed post-import if needed.
- BigCommerce will automatically create a new option set (named after the product) for products with options imported from Square.
- Rules - must be associated with SKUs
Did you know? UPCs will not be exported into Square from BigCommerce, because Square does not have a dedicated UPC field.
The Square integration features real-time stock level syncing between BigCommerce and Square. Here's a quick guide to how the stock level syncing works.
- Order-based stock level changes in BigCommerce will update Square's stock levels in real-time
- Order-based stock level changes in Square will update BigCommerce's stock levels in real-time
- Manually updating stock levels in BigCommerce will update Square's stock levels in real-time
- Manually updating Square's stock levels will NOT update BigCommerce's stock levels
Connecting to Square
1. Go to Store Setup › Point of Sale.
2. Click Connect.
3. You will be asked to sign in to your Square account. (If you don't have one, you can create one from here too.) If you have more than one location with Square, you'll be asked to pick which location you want to connect with BigCommerce. Currently only one location can be linked per Square account.
4. Click Continue to allow BigCommerce to access your Square data.
5. Your Square account is now linked to BigCommerce.
Importing and Exporting Your Products
1. Go to Store Setup › Point of Sale.
2. Click Import/Export.
3. You'll be asked whether you want to do an Import (products from Square will be added to BigCommerce) or an Export (products from BigCommerce will be added to Square). Select one, then click Submit to begin the sync.
4. The import or export will begin. Depending on how many products you have, this might take a while. Feel free to navigate away; the process will keep running in the background.
5. Once you're done, you'll see a success message.
6. To enable real-time inventory syncing between Square and BigCommerce, turn on the Stock Updates toggle. You can activate or deactivate this setting at any time.
7. Go to Products › Product Categories. Check to see if you have a category called Uncategorized Square Items. If so, follow the instructions below.
Categorizing Square Products
After your import, go to Products › Product Categories. You may find a category for Uncategorized Square Items, which contains any products from Square that did not have a category specified. If you have this category, follow the steps below.
1. Click Action › Products. This will take you to a view of all of your products in the Uncategorized Square Items category.
- If you have several products and would prefer to recategorize them with an Import/Export, see Updating with Import/Export
- If you prefer to quickly recategorize them in bulk through the control panel, continue to Step 2.
2. Select your products by clicking the checkbox at the top left. Click Choose an Action › Bulk Edit Selected, then click Confirm. You will be taken to the bulk edit page.
3. Under the Category column, select the product's new category in BigCommerce. Once you’ve made all of your changes, click Save and Exit.
Recategorizing with Import/Export
1. From the Action › Products screen, select all of your products by clicking the checkbox in the top left.
2. Click Choose an Action › Export These Products, then click Confirm.
3. Export the products using the Bulk Edit template. You can see full export instructions here.
4. Go through the Category column to recategorize your products. For more information about entering category information into a CSV, take a look at the Categories field in Importing Products.
5. Import your revised CSV file. The products will be reassigned to their new categories.
Disconnecting your Square Account
If for any reason you want to disconnect your Square account from BigCommerce, you can use the following steps. Note that if you disconnect your Square account, you will need to reimport and export your products to reactivate stock level syncing.
1. Go to Store Setup › Payments and click on the Square tab.
2. On the Square setup page, click Disconnect Square Account. You can reconnect again later by completing the steps above.