Sell on Facebook
What We'll Cover
Facebook Shop is a feature for Facebook Pages that allows you to easily display your store’s products on your Facebook business page, where Facebook users can discover and share them.
If you're new to Facebook Shop, see Getting Your Catalog Ready for Facebook Shop for requirements and tips to optimize your products before connecting your store.
Facebook users click a product and are taken to your BigCommerce store to complete their purchase. On average merchants see a 4-8% click through rate to their stores.
Connecting Your Store to Facebook
Be sure that you are logged into your Facebook account prior to beginning this process. Your Facebook account must have an admin page role for the Facebook page you're adding your shop to. Before submitting your application, your store must be launched and accessible (not Down for Maintenance) so Facebook can review your catalog for acceptance.
1. Go to Channel Manager.
2. Click Get Started to the right of Facebook.
4. If you are not already, you'll be prompted to log in to your Facebook account. Once logged in, you'll be returned to the Facebook Shop Configuration screen in the Channel Manager.
5. Complete the Configuration page by providing the following:
- Business Contact Email
- Business Contact Phone Number
- The Facebook Page you’d like to sync your products to
- The URL of your Storefront Terms of Service (your shipping and returns policy)
- your preferred checkout experience
- Use Storefront Checkout — This option will redirect shoppers to your storefront for checkout
- Use Facebook Checkout — This option will allow shoppers to checkout directly on Facebook
In order to use Facebook Checkout you must have:
- the PayPal powered by Braintree (US merchants, automatic setup) payment gateway enabled for your store. Merchants outside the US using the manual setup of PayPal powered by Braintree are not eligible.
- USD as your store's default currency
- a shipping zone configured and enabled for your store
6. Click Save.
7. Review the Facebook Terms of Service, then click Accept Terms. You should see the following message:
“We are now sending your product catalog to Facebook. Once approved by Facebook, your catalog will show within your business page's "Shop" tab on Facebook.”
Did you know? Even though you might create a business page using your personal Facebook account, your personal account identity and information isn't publicly shared on the page.
Facebook will review your store to determine if it meets its product criteria, and conforms to the Facebook Commerce Product Merchant Agreement.
Once approved, Channel Manager will show a "Your Facebook commerce application has been approved" message, and your products will begin automatically syncing to your new Facebook Shop page. Merchants are typically notified of approval within 48 hours of application submission.
If your application is not approved, Channel Manager will report "Your commerce application has been rejected by Facebook. You may update the information below and submit the application again." Review Facebook's policies to ensure your store or products meet all the necessary criteria.
The initial product export process can take up to 24 hours to complete, but you will begin to see products appear within 1-2 hours. The amount of time it takes to complete the sync depends on the size of your store and the number of stores exporting at the same time. We will send a sync complete email once all your products have synced over to Facebook. You will also receive a Facebook notification stating that a “Shop Now Button” has been added to your page.
Managing and Listing Your Products on Facebook
Can I control which products will get listed?
All products in your catalog that are marked “visible” will automatically be synced and made visible to visitors of your Facebook Shop page. This includes your store's existing products when you initially connect your store, and new products and variations created after you've connected.
Any products marked “not visible” will be synced but marked as “hidden” on Facebook. “Hidden” products will not display to visitors, but can be seen by the page’s admins.
If you want a product to remain visible on your BigCommerce storefront but not appear on Facebook, you can delete it from your collection.
How often are products synced to Facebook?
New products and updates to existing products are synced quickly, typically within a few minutes.
Your products on Facebook are organized into Collections. Collections are similar to BigCommerce categories, and can represent static categories like “Dresses”, or a seasonal promotion like “Holiday Sales”.
Facebook collections are automatically created for each of your top-level categories in BigCommerce. See the Facebook Collections section of Getting Your Catalog Ready for Facebook for more information.
In addition to automatically created collections, new custom collections can be created, and existing collections can be edited in Facebook. You can control the visibility of each collection, and sort the order of products that appear in them.
To access and create a collection:
1. Login to your Facebook account and navigate to your Page. Click on Publishing Tools, then Shop.
2. Click Collections. Create a new collection by clicking Add Collection in the top-right.
3. Name your collection, then click Add Products to select which products to include.
4. After selecting products, click Save. Then click Save in the top-right of the Create Collection screen. Optionally, you can enable Feature this Collection, which will show larger product images, and display the collection at the top of your Facebook Shop. You can only have one featured collection at a time.
5. Repeat these steps to create additional collections.
Publish Your Shop
When you are ready to launch your Facebook Shop, navigate to the Shop section of your Facebook page and click Publish Shop.
Checking Orders from Facebook Shop
Orders generated from Facebook Shop visits will be listed with a Facebook logo in the View Orders section of your store.
You can use the Orders from Facebook Custom View to see only your Facebook Shop orders.
Orders from Facebook can also be selected as an Order Type in Search Orders.
Use the Insights feature to understand which products customers are viewing and engaging with in your Shop. To view your Shop Insights, click Settings in the upper right of your Facebook page, then click Shop in the left navigation. From here you can view data for the past day, week, month, or a custom date range. Views track total impressions on product details. Clicks track total clicks to "Check Out on Website".
Look for these URLs if you use Google Analytics, and want to track click-through referrals from your Facebook Shop page.
Disconnecting Your Store from Facebook
Disconnecting your Facebook account from BigCommerce will clear your Facebook Shop settings. Any product you add or create in BigCommerce will no longer sync to your Facebook catalog, and your catalog will be removed from Facebook.
You may always reconnect this channel in the future.
Follow these steps to disconnect your store from Facebook in your BigCommerce control panel before revoking any app permissions in your Facebook account.
1. Go to Channel Manager.
2. Click Edit Settings next to Facebook.
3. Click Disconnect Channel, then click Yes to confirm.
Product Requirements and Known Issues
- Your products must be approved by Facebook
- Must be a physical product (not downloadable)
- Must have an image
- Must have a description
- Must not have a price of $0.00
- Must not have a price longer than 9 digits
- Must not have a product description in ALL CAPS
- Must not be restricted by Facebook policies
- Product options must be required (base product without options will still export if options are not required)
- Text field options and file upload field options are not supported by Facebook Shop. All other option types are supported as long as they have SKUs defined.
Dedicated SSL Certificate Required to Display Domain Name on Facebook
If your store is using the BigCommerce shared SSL certificate, the checkout redirect message displayed to the customer at Facebook will display your store's temporary/canonical URL (store-xyz123.mybigcommerce.com). To display your domain name, you'll need to have your own dedicated SSL certificate installed.
|Facebook checkout redirect with shared SSL||Facebook checkout redirect with dedicated SSL|
Vertical Images Become Cropped
Since the main product images on Facebook Shop Pages are square, Facebook may crop your vertical images (images that are taller than they are wide) when the image is transferred from your BigCommerce catalog. The only solution for this is to update your images in BigCommerce to use a square aspect ratio as well.
We realize this is less than optimal for some of our merchants who use vertical images for most of their products, and are working with Facebook to address this limitation.
No Support for Custom Fields or Downloadable Products
Facebook Shop does not currently support custom fields or downloadable products, so if any of your products have these fields then they will fail to sync over. If some of your products have them and some don’t, the products that don’t will still successfully sync over.
If you have our previous Facebook integration, SocialShop, installed on your Facebook business page, you should remove it once Facebook Shop has been installed.
While it's not required to remove the old SocialShop integration in order to use the new Facebook Shop integration, we recommend removing it to avoid confusion, and to give your Facebook followers the best possible experience.
1. Log in to your Facebook account, and navigate to the Facebook page with SocialShop installed.
2. Click Settings in the top-right of the screen.
3. Click Apps in the left-side navigation.
4. Locate BigCommerce SocialShop in the list of Added Apps, and click the X to the right of the app.
5. Click Yes to confirm you want to remove the application.
Q: How do I tag products in my shop sections that I post on my Page?
Tag a product in a photo:
- Open your post and hover over the photo.
- Click the Tag Products icon.
- Click the product you want to tag and start typing in the product's name.
- Choose the full product name of the product you want to tag when it appears.
- Click Done Tagging.
Tag a product in a video:
- Upload your video.
- Click the Tag Products icon.
- Enter the names of the products featured in your video.
- When you're done, click Publish.
Q: How do I move the "Shop" section on my Page?
- On your Facebook page, click Manage Tabs on the left.
- Click and drag tabs to change their order.
Q: How do I get more people to visit the shop section on my Page?
To get more people to visit the shop section on your Page:
Share your shop's products on your Page's Timeline or your personal Timeline. This will make them eligible to be seen by people who are already connected with your business and you. To do this:
- Click the product you want to share.
- Click Share.
- Choose where and how you want to share it through the dropdowns at the top.
- Optionally, add text to the post to make it more engaging.
- Click the Share button at the bottom right.
Share your shop link with your customers online and offline. To do this:
- Click the shop section on your Page.
- Click the gear button.
- Click Copy Direct Link.
- Share the link with people you want to visit the shop section on your Page.
- Shop Section | Facebook Help Center
- Facebook Page Basics
- Facebook for Business
- Facebook Commerce Product Merchant Agreement
- Supported Currencies | Facebook for Developers