There are storewide, category, and product-level settings that give you control over the order in which products appear on a page, or their sort order.
In addition, shoppers can sort products displayed on the storefront using 7 different sort types.
Shoppers can change the order in which products appear on storefront category pages by using a dropdown selector. The appearance and location of the selector may vary based on your theme.
- Featured (based on product sort order number)
- Newest Items
- Best Selling
- Alphabetical (A-Z)
- Alphabetical (Z-A)
- Average customer review
- Price (Low to High)
- Price (High to Low)
Sort Order Number
When the category page is sorted by Featured, sort order number can be used for more control over how products are sorted on the category page. It has no effect when the category page is sorted by other types (e.g. newest, alphabetical, etc...).
- Products display lowest to highest, so a product with a sort order of 25 will appear closer to the top than a product with a sort order of 50.
- All products have a sort order of 0 by default.
- Negative numbers are allowed (e.g. -1 will appear closer to the top than 0).
Manually Updating a Product's Sort Order Number
Go to Products › View, then click the name of the product you'd like to edit.
Click the Other Details tab and scroll to the Sort Order field.
Updating Sort Order in Bulk Using a CSV
Sort Order is also an importable field when importing and exporting products.
Default Product Sort
The Default Product Sort setting determines the order in which products are displayed on category pages. It can be set both storewide (via Store Settings) and on individual categories (via editing the category).
There can be several reasons for changing the default product sort. For example, you may want to:
- highlight products with the highest ratings/reviews
- show products with the lowest price first
- sort your products alphabetically
Storewide Default Product Sort
This setting will affect all categories that don't have a category-specific default product sort setting.
1. Go to Store Setup › Store Settings › Display tab and scroll down to the Category Settings section.
2. Locate the Default Product Sort setting. Change it to your preferred sort order.
3. Save your changes.
Category-Specific Default Product Sort
This setting will affect only an individual category's default product sort. Other categories will inherit the storewide setting.
1. Go to Products › Product Categories, and edit your chosen category.
2. In the category details, locate the Default Product Sort setting. Change it to your preferred sort order.
3. Save your changes.