Setting Up UPS® Real Time Shipping Quotes
What We'll Cover
A UPS® account number is required to enable UPS® real time quotes.
It is the unique six-digit reference number assigned by UPS® to you for billing purposes. You can find your account number by logging in to UPS® and selecting "Account Summary".
If you don’t have an account, visit UPS.com to create one.
UPS requires their service quotes to be displayed separately from other shipping providers, so on the cart and checkout pages of your storefront, there is a link to Show UPS Rates.
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping.
2. Click Edit or Configure next to the shipping zone you want to serve UPS® real time quotes in.
3. Scroll down to Real Time Shipping Quotes, and click Connect next to UPS®.
4. Read and agree to the UPS® Technology Agreement by scrolling to the bottom of the box then clicking Yes, I agree.
5. Enter your UPS® Account Number and click Continue.
6. Confirm your contact details, then click Continue. All fields are required.
You may be asked for additional information to verify your account. You’ll need one of the last three invoices you received from UPS® in order to supply the following:
- Invoice number
- Invoice amount
- Currency code
- Invoice date
- Control ID
Validate your account by providing the requested data, then click Continue.
7. Configure your Destination Type, Packing Method, Packaging Type, and which Delivery Services you want to offer, then click Save. You can also specify a display name, which is shown to shoppers on the cart and checkout pages.
1. Click Edit next to UPS® in one of the shipping zones it’s set up in.
2. Click the Connection tab to see the currently connected UPS® Account Number, and specify if you want to Use negotiated shipping rates.
If not checked, standard retail list rates will be quoted to your shoppers. Note that not all UPS accounts have negotiated rates, in which case checking the box has no effect.
3. Click the Get a Quote tab to get a test quote and confirm the connection to UPS® is working.
4. Save your changes.
You can also test on your storefront to see quotes as a shopper would.
- Service specifics
- Calculate time and cost
- UPS real time quotes common issues and errors
UPS documents delivery commitment times and service areas on their website, and highlights the benefits of each of their U.S. and international services. This can help you determine what services to enable for your shoppers. On the UPS website, click on a service name to learn more about it.
Calculate Time and Cost
You can use UPS's Time and Cost Calculator to compare transit times and costs of different services. This can help determine what services make the most sense for you and your customers.
Several factors determine a shipment's cost, including but not limited to:
- girth (2 x width) + (2 x height)
- dimensional weight
- distance traveled (fuel surcharge)
- package value (the combined retail value of all the items inside)
- the origin type (residential or commercial address)
- the destination type (residential or commercial address)
- the packaging type (yours or UPS-supplied)
- service type (e.g. Ground, Express, Next Day Air)
- negotiated pricing for your specific UPS account
- any additional handling fees or surcharges for shipments exceeding UPS's limits
UPS Real Time Quotes Common Issues and Errors
Symptom: Returned quotes on the storefront are higher than what is displayed on UPS's Time and Cost Calculator.
- The package calculated by BigCommerce is heavier or larger than the dimensions you've entered into UPS's Time and Cost Calculator for comparison.
- One or more of the packages dimensions is exceeding UPS's limits and has an additional surcharge or handling fee included in the returned quote. These charges are lined out in UPS's calculator, but are not explicit when returning a quote on BigCommerce's front-end. See "Other Charges" in UPS's Rate and Service Guide for Daily Rates (PDF).
- Declared value wasn't inputted/considered when calculating the shipment on UPS's Time and Cost Calculator.
- The Packing Method in your UPS settings is set to "Each item in the order in its own package".
Symptom: Certain services completely fail to return a quote.
- The destination address may fall outside of that particular service's specific service area. For example, in the U.S., UPS Ground will deliver to all 50 U.S. states including Alaska and Hawaii, but UPS 3 Day Select is limited to the 48 contiguous states.
- The origin zip code may be wrong or incomplete. Where possible, you should be using the full nine digit zip code for your origin address ("shipping from" address) in the Shipping Manager.