Transferring Your Domain
Transferring Your Domain to BigCommerce
It is not possible to transfer a domain registration directly to BigCommerce. However, if you have an existing domain that you would like to use for your BigCommerce store’s address, you can assign it to your store and point it to us by following the steps in Pointing Your Domain.
If you are looking to completely part ways with your current service provider, consider transferring your domain to a company that specializes in domain registration, such as NameCheap, GoDaddy, or eNom.
Transferring Your Domain from BigCommerce
These steps only apply to clients who have registered their domain through BigCommerce. If you have registered your domain through another company, such as GoDaddy, you will need to contact them for instructions.
In order to transfer your domain from BigCommerce to another registrar, you will need to unlock your domain and provide the new registrar with an EPP code. The EPP code authorizes you to transfer the domain.
60-Day Transfer Lock: ICANN policy prevents a domain name from being tranferred for 60 days after a new domain name registration or a change/update to a domain's WHOIS information. There is currently no way for a merchant who has registered a domain through BigCommerce to opt-out of this 60-day lock and will have to let it expire before transferring their domain. Consider this before registering a new domain you plan on transferring away or changing/updating a domain's WHOIS information.
The process of unlocking your domain and getting your EPP code differs depending on which billing and accounting system your store is using. Determine which billing system your store is using and choose the corresponding set of instructions below.
Getting your EPP Code and Unlocking Your Domain
1. Log in to your Account Dashboard, then click Domains on the upper left side of the page.
2. Click Manage to the right of the domain you’d like to manage.
3. Click Send EPP Code in the domain details area at the top of the page.
4. On the same page, scroll down to the Register Lock section, and uncheck Yes, enable the domain registrar lock on [your domain].
Unlocking Your Domain
1. Log in to your Client Area, then click Domain Names.
2. Click the View Details link to the right of your domain name.
3. Scroll to the Registrar Lock for [domain] section, then uncheck the Yes, enable the domain registrar lock on [domain] option.
4. Click Save Changes.
Getting Your EPP Code
1. Click Domain Names, then Click Update WHOIS/Contact Information.
2. Verify that the email address listed in the Registrant for [domain] section is the address you’d like your EPP code sent to. If not, update the email address and Save your changes.
3. Click Domain Names, then View Details to the right of your domain name.
4. Click Email Me My EPP Code, and an email with the subject line Requested Authorization Key for [domain] will be sent to the Registrant email address.
Once you've obtained your EPP code, contact the registrar you would like to transfer the domain to and provide them the EPP code and any additional information they require.
Domain transfers typically take 5 business days from the time the transfer is authorized to complete. It is important that you make no changes to your BigCommerce store's DNS records during this period.