Setting up USPS by Endicia for Shipping
What We'll Cover
USPS by Endicia provides real-time shipping quotes from USPS to shoppers on your storefront. In addition, you can purchase postage and print shipping labels right from your BigCommerce control panel. This guide covers setting up and using USPS by Endicia for real-time shipping quotes. For more information about buying postage and printing shipping labels, see Printing Shipping Labels with USPS by Endicia.
USPS by Endicia is only available to stores that ship from the United States.
Did you know? You don't need to set up label printing if you just want to use Endicia to serve real-time USPS shipping quotes.
Enabling Real-Time Shipping Quotes
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping, scroll down to Real Time Shipping Quotes, and click Connect next to USPS.
2. If you already have an existing Endicia account:
In the pop-up that appears, click Connect it here, then enter your Endicia Account Number and Pass Phrase. If you forgot your Endicia Account Number, it can be requested from Endicia's login page. If you forgot your Pass Phrase, using your Account Number, you can request it from Endicia's Forgot Pass Phrase page.
If you don't have an Endicia account:
Fill in all the fields under Account Information. Make sure that Email Address is an address that you're able to check — this will be the email address associated with your new Endicia account.
Next, create a Password that you will use to access Endicia's website, then create a Pass Phrase that will be used to connect your BigCommerce store and Endicia account. Choose a Security Question and Answer — these are used to confirm your identity should you forget any of your account credentials.
For security purposes, we recommend the following guidelines when creating your
Password and Pass Phrase:
Do not use any words or phrases related to your business, shipping, or the postal service.
Do not use commonly used words or phrases like:
Do not use any passwords associated with your:
- full name
- company name
- phone number
- store number
These are the top 15 most frequently used password combinations from 2015. Please avoid using any of these values in your password:
- 111111 or 22222 or 99999 or 123123 or 1234 or 12345 or 123456 or 1234567 or 12345678 or 123456789 or 1234567890 or 696969
- password or passw0rd
- baseball or football
- abc or abc123
- qwerty or qwertyuiop or asdfg or zxcvb or poiuy or lkjhg or mnbvc
- superman or batman or ironman or starwars or dragon or master
- bmw or tesla or mustang
- welcome or access or sesame or letmein or login or please
Scroll down, and enter the Billing Address details for the credit or debit card you'll be using to purchase postage. If you're shipping from an address different from your Billing Address, uncheck the box marked I will be shipping my products from this Billing Address, then specify your Ship From Address (must be a U.S. address).
Scroll further down, and under Payment Information, enter your credit or debit card details.
Finally, select an Account Type. If you're using the free Account Type, you won't be charged anything until you actually purchase postage for printing labels. Check the box to certify you agree to USPS's and Endicia's terms, then click Create Account.
3. Select your Delivery Services and Packaging Types, then click Save.
Should you need to change your service or package types, click Edit from the zone page. Toggle the ON/OFF switch to enable or disable this method.
Did you know? If you're using your own packaging (Parcel), we recommend adding physical dimensions (width, height and depth) for your products. Some real-time shipping providers require these in order to provide your shoppers with an accurate shipping quote during checkout. Typically, the narrowest dimension should be set as the factoring dimension in your physical dimension settings.
1. Click Edit next to USPS by Endicia.
You will see the following tabs:
The Settings tab contains the following settings:
- Display name
- Delivery Services
- Packaging Types
The Connection tab is where you enter your Endicia account information. It contains:
- Endicia AccountId
- Endicia Pass Phrase
Get a Quote
The Get a Quote tab lets you test your connection and get a quote. Enter your destination country, state, and zipcode, followed by your package weight, value and dimensions. Click Get Quote!, and you will see a shipping quote for all valid services.
The Postage Balance tab shows your current account balance on Endicia.
- Current account balance — the current balance on your Endicia account
- Add to balance — by adding funds here, the credit card you have listed on your Endicia account will be automatically charged
- Total spent on printing to date — the total amount you have spent on printing with Endicia
Change Pass Phrase
The Change Pass Phrase tab allows you to change the Pass Phrase you set up in your Endicia account. Enter the following information, then click Confirm.
- Current Pass Phrase
- New Pass Phrase
- Confirm new Pass Phrase
- USPS support
- USPS weight and dimensional limits
- Service specifics and rate calculation
- USPS real-time quotes common issues
The USPS support website provides many helpful resources, including refund and insurance claim information, and other frequently asked questions.
- Phone support: 1-800-276-8777
- Web support: https://www.usps.com/help/welcome.htm
USPS Weight and Dimensional Limits
- Length — the longest edge of a package
- Width — the second longest edge of a package
- Height — the shortest edge of a package
- Girth — (2 x width) + (2 x height)
Domestic Weight and Dimensional Limits
|Service||Weight Limit||Dimensional Limit|
|First-Class Mail||13 oz||Minimum: 6 in x ¼ in x 3 in (L x W x H)|
Maximum: 27 in x 17 in x 17 in (L x W x H)
|Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Media Mail, Library Mail||70 lbs||Maximum length plus girth must not exceed 108 in|
|Standard Post, Parcel Select||70 lbs||Maximum length plus girth must not exceed 130 in|
International Weight and Dimensional Limits
Some USPS services have different weight limits when delivering internationally. Check the postal service’s listing of Country Price Groups and Weight Limits for more information on specific countries.
USPS’s website provides a Customer’s Guide to Mailing, which has helpful tips on packing and shipping best practices, and even offers free shipping supplies, including boxes, that they will ship to your home or business.
Service Specifics and Rate Calculation
The Postal Service provides a comparison of services on their site, which can help you decide which services are the best fit for you, your product and your customers. Standard Post and Media Mail are not available for international shipping. Generally, for shipments under 6 ounces, First-Class Mail offers the lowest cost solution.
Note that there are some products, like ammunition, that are restricted and that the Postal Service won’t ship.
You can use the Postage Price Calculator to simulate shipments in order to see what each service would cost, and delivery time estimates.
There are several factors that can affect what a shipment will cost:
- Content: What class of mail is it?
- Size: How big is it?
- Shape: Is it a letter, flat, or parcel?
- Weight: How heavy is it?
- Distance the mail travels: How far is it going?
- Quantity: How many pieces do you have?
- Nonprofit status: Does your organization qualify for nonprofit prices?
- Speed of delivery: Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, and First-Class Mail.
- Mail entry point: destination entry prices.
USPS Real-Time Quotes Common Issues
Symptom: Returned quotes on the storefront don’t match what is displayed on the USPS postage calculator.
Depending on the size of the package, USPS could be assessing a fee using its dimensional weight or balloon weight. Packages that are larger than the length plus girth limits can be charged an oversized rate.
If you’re using our older USPS integration, and Package size is not set to “Large”, package dimensions aren’t submitted when requesting a quotes, so if the package has a larger dimensional weight than the actual weight, the returned quote will be too low.
- Physical dimensions aren't defined for the product. Some real-time shipping providers require these in order to provide your customers with an accurate shipping quote during checkout. Typically, the narrowest dimension should be set as the factoring dimension in your physical dimension settings.
Symptom: Certain services completely fail to return a quote.
In this instance, it would trigger an error in the store logs when making the quote request. There’s no error reporting on the storefront for this, so there would just be the absence of a First-Class Mail quote.
The package might be exceeding the limits for that service. For example, if your product weighs 4 ounces, and a shopper adds 4 of them to the cart, the combined weight is 16 ounces, and would not qualify for First-Class Mail.
The origin zip code may be wrong or incomplete. Where possible, use the full nine digit zip code for your origin address ("shipping from" address) in the Shipping Manager.
The destination address or country may fall outside of that particular service's specific service area.