Setting Up Shipping Zones
What We'll Cover
A shipping zone refers to the geographical area that you want to ship to. It can be based on a single country, a group of countries, states/provinces, or ZIP/post codes. You can have multiple shipping zones that offer different shipping services. For example, a store could offer USPS for the Contiguous United States in one zone, and have a separate zone offering UPS and FedEx for Alaska and Hawaii.
Shipping zones can consist of the following:
- a single country e.g. United States
- multiple countries e.g. Canada & UK
- individual states within a single country e.g. Alaska and Hawaii
- individual states/provinces across multiple countries e.g. WA, OR, ID in the United States, and BC in Canada
- individual ZIP/postcodes within a country e.g. Local Pickup for Austin, TX
- the "rest of the world" e.g. everywhere you don't already have a zone for
When a customer checks out, the shipping manager will use the zone that best matches their address starting with ZIPcode, then state, and finally country. If a customer tries to checkout using a shipping address that does not belong to any of your defined zones, they will not be able to complete the order. This means, that you can ship to areas that you feel comfortable with.
Creating a Zone
Shipping zones are created and managed from Shipping Manager. To access Shipping Manager, go to Store Setup › Shipping. Since zones can be based on a single country, a group of countries, states/provinces, or ZIP/post codes, we have created separate guides for each:
- Adding a Shipping Zone by Country
- Adding a Shipping Zone by State or Province
- Adding a Shipping Zone by ZIP or Post Code
- Adding a Shipping Zone for the 'Rest of the World' (Everywhere Else)
Enabling and Disabling a Zone
Zones can be enabled/disabled by clicking the toggle next to the zone. Disabling a zone will remove it from checkout while preserving the settings of the shipping methods set up within it.
Deleting a Zone
Zones can be permanently deleted by clicking the X next to the zone.
Editing a Zone
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping. Click Edit next to the zone you wish to edit.
2. Click the Edit button in the top right corner. From here, you can define which countries, states, provinces, and postcodes are included in the zone, and specify a handling fee.