Setting Up Shipping Methods
A shipping method determines the shipping charge that a customer pays at checkout. It can be a fixed charge, like a $5 flat rate on all orders, or a dynamically calculated charge through a real time shipping service based on the details of the shipment (e.g. weight, origin, destination).
A shipping zone must have at least one viable shipping method enabled to allow shoppers to check out. Multiple shipping methods can be enabled within the same shipping zone, allowing you to offer different shipping choices at checkout.
Setting Up a Shipping Method
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping.
2. Click Configure or Edit next to a shipping zone.
3. Enable one or more shipping methods.
Shipping Method Types
There are two categories of shipping methods: Static shipping quotes that you define, and Real time shipping quotes that are automatically calculated by a shipping carrier.
Static Shipping Quotes
Static shipping quote methods include:
Real Time Shipping Quotes
The Shipping Origin determines which real time shipping carriers are available in your shipping zones. For example, you won't be able to see and set up Canada Post unless your "origin" address is in Canada. For a list of real time shipping quote providers, and how to set them up in BigCommerce, see Setting Up a “Real Time Shipping Quote” Shipping Method.
If you need advanced shipping rules like multiple points of origin, LTL, or freight quotes, we recommend using our integration with ShipperHQ.
Apart from using shipping methods, products can directly be given free shipping or a fixed shipping price.
- To give a product universal free shipping, see Setting up Free Shipping, which includes some alternative methods.
- To set a fixed shipping cost on a product (and add dimensions), see Adding Products. If a product has a fixed shipping cost, it will override all other shipping methods, coupon codes, or cart-level discounts.
Looking to solve for a specific business pain point you're having? Check out the shipping section of our App Store. You’ll find apps that can help you save time and energy, streamline your process, organize inventory and so much more.