Sell on Pinterest
What We'll Cover
What are Buyable Pins?
Buyable Pins let Pinterest users find your products, learn more about them, and purchase them — all without ever leaving Pinterest's website or mobile app — providing a sleek, intuitive, and fast checkout experience.
Buyable Pins are just like regular pins but feature a blue “Buy it” button, which enables Pinterest users to purchase your products directly through the Pinterest app. They also include additional information about your product, including:
- Stock availability
- Size and color variations
- Product description
- Your store’s favicon
- A link to your store’s return policy
- A link to your store’s Pinterest Marketplace page
Before connecting your store to Pinterest, certain merchant, store setting, and product requirements must be met. See Requirements for Pinterest Buyable Pins for detailed information.
Connecting Your Store to Pinterest
1. Go to Store Setup › Channel Manager, then click Get Started next to Pinterest.
2. On the next screen, confirm:
- Your store has one of the following supported payment gateways enabled:
- PayPal powered by Braintree
- Your store is using USD (United States dollar) as the default currency.
- Your store has a physical shipping address in the US.
- You have a Pinterest business account. If you don’t have a business account, you can create one, or convert your existing personal Pinterest account into a business account.
- Your products meet the product option requirements.
Once confirmed, click Get Started.
3. If you’re not already logged in, enter your Pinterest business account email and password, then click Authorize App. You’ll be returned to the Channel Manager screen in your BigCommerce control panel.
4. Click Edit Settings next to Pinterest.
5. Configure your settings. Every field is required for application approval.
- Business Contact Email — address your Pinterest customer service requests are delivered to.
- Business Contact Phone Number — phone number for customer service requests from Pinterest customers
- Tagline — a short piece of text displayed next to your store’s Buyable Pins on your new “Shop Pins By” Pinterest Marketplace page. Some examples of taglines:
- M&L Supply has the modern man covered from head to toe.
- Who says storage has to be square? Shop our hampers, bins and more!
- Eco-friendly, affordable clothes for the mini-me in your life.
- Return Policy URL — URL of your store's return policy
- Payment Gateway — choose which payment gateway you want to use to transact orders from Pinterest
6. Pinterest supports displaying color and size options on each Buyable Pin. Check each of your store’s options that correspond to a color or size option for your products.
When adding new products to your store, any newly created options will need to be enabled in your Pinterest settings here.
7. Check I have read and agree to the Terms of Service, then click Save.
A copy of your BigCommerce product catalog will be sent to Pinterest along with your listing application. Applications are reviewed within a few hours, and you can come back to Channel Manager later to see the status of your application.
Once approved, you'll see a note in Channel Manager letting you know and will receive an email from Pinterest. Your Buyable Pins will begin to appear within 4-5 days as they become indexed.
If your application is rejected, you'll see a message alerting you in Channel Manager. You will also receive a rejection email with instructions on how to correct the issues with your catalog, appeal the decision, and resubmit your application.
Checking Orders from Pinterest
Orders generated from Pinterest Buyable Pins will be listed with Pinterest logo in the View Orders section of your store. Orders from Pinterest appear as guest orders (Guest next to the customer name).
You can use the Orders from Pinterest Custom View to see only your Pinterest orders.
Orders from Pinterest can also be selected as an Order Type in Search Orders.
Pinterest Marketplace Page
Once your application has been approved, you’ll see a blue “Shop Pins from” button on your profile in the Pinterest app. This page will include the tagline text that you submitted in the Channel Manager during the setup process. Once the initial setup is complete, all your products that meet the requirements will automatically be publicly visible here. They won't be available anywhere else until you (or another Pinterest user) pins them to a publicly accessible board.
Your Product Board
Once connected and approved, any of your store’s products that did not already exist as Pins will be published to a private, protected Product Board. BigCommerce will send new products and stock level updates to Pinterest every hour. Additional processing and indexing by Pinterest may delay how soon those updates are reflected.
This board is not visible in your profile, but can be accessed via this URL format:
Do not edit or delete your Product Board. As a best practice, we recommend pinning products from your store or re-pinning from the Product Board to your public boards on Pinterest so they are easily discoverable by users. Pinning a product from the Product Board will not remove it from the Product Board.
Disconnecting Your Store from Pinterest
Disconnecting your Pinterest business account from BigCommerce will clear your Pinterest settings. Any product you add or create in BigCommerce will no longer sync to Pinterest, and your existing Buyable Pins will revert back to Rich Pins.
1. Go to Store Setup › Channel Manager.
2. Click Edit Settings next to Pinterest.
3. Click Disconnect Channel, then click Yes to confirm.
Authorize.Net CVV Settings
Transactions via Pinterest may be blocked or declined if you've manually configured your Authorize.Net settings to always require CVV data.
In order to be compatible with Pinterest, your Authorize.Net settings must allow for transactions without CVV data. By default, Authorize.Net accounts are configured to automatically validate CVV data if sent, but also allow for transactions where the CVV is not supplied. This setup is typical of most merchants utilizing an AIM/DPM cart/payments option integration. The screenshot below demonstrates this default configuration.
What shipping methods does Pinterest support?
Fixed shipping rates:
- Flat rate
- Ship by weight
- Ship by order total
- Free shipping
Real-time shipping quotes:
How will I know when my application has been approved?
You will receive an email message from Pinterest when your Buyable Pins application has been approved. This message will be delivered to the email address configured with your Pinterest business account, and may not be the same address you entered as the Business Contact Email when connecting your store.
Why was my application not approved?
Some common reasons for applications disapproval include:
Your business, website and/or products
- Your business either focuses on products or services that Pinterest's Advertising Rules don’t allow, or contains customizable products
- Your business does not currently meet Pinterest's transaction quality standards
- Your website is not available or requires a login
- Your products lead to 404 errors
Your Pinterest profile
- Your Pinterest profile picture is not reflective of your business
- Your Pins contain promotional material including price, sale, or promo code information
- Your Pins contain misspellings, excessive capitalization, or excessive symbol use
- Your Pins contain unacceptable language or content Pinterest's Ad Rules define as shocking, sensational, or overtly sexual
See Pinterest's help documentation to contact Pinterest and appeal your disapproval.
How do I know which products failed to sync to Pinterest?
Once the initial setup for Pinterest is complete, products that failed to export are reported in a CSV file in Channel Manager. This is helpful to determine which specific products failed to export and why.
Once corrections are saved to the products that failed to export, they will automatically begin syncing to Pinterest.
Following the initial product sync, your Store Logs will report any new or updated products that fail to export and provide reasons they were rejected.
How long will it take for my existing Rich Pins to become Buyable Pins?
It can take up to 5 days before your existing Rich Pins start to appear as Buyable Pins in the Pinterest app. Pinterest must reindex these Pins, and this process cannot be expedited.
What links can I create Pins for?
When pinning from your store, make sure you are creating Pins that link to specific product pages, rather than category or brand pages. Pins need to link to product pages in order to appear with a “Buy it” button in the Pinterest app.
Will new products be sent to Pinterest?
All new products created in your store will become Buyable Pins provided they meet the product requirements.
What happens when a Buyable Pin product runs out of stock?
If a product has inventory tracking enabled and runs out of stock, it will be marked as "Out of Stock" in Pinterest, and users will not be able to initiate checkout. If a product does not have inventory tracking enabled and runs out of stock, it will continue to be available for checkout by Pinterest users.
How do I get the most out of Pinterest?
Pinterest has some free guides with useful tips on using Pinterest.
- Requirements for Pinterest Buyable Pins
- Confirming Your Store with Pinterest
- Selling Everywhere with Channel Manager
- Using Rich Pins