Sell on eBay
What We'll Cover
Featuring over 167 million active shoppers and more than a billion live listings, eBay is one of the world’s most popular marketplaces. Originally started as a consumer-to-consumer, auction-based service for used items, today 80% of all products sold on eBay are new.
Channel Manager makes connecting your BigCommerce store to eBay and creating fixed-price/Buy It Now listings as simple as a few clicks. From there you can:
- customize your BigCommerce products’ data (like name and price) specifically for listing on eBay, so you have full control over how your products are presented
- check and fulfill orders from eBay in your BigCommerce control panel just like any other order. Inventory stock levels are automatically synced between your storefront and eBay in real time.
- create hundreds of listings in bulk and save time with built-in automatic category mapping
- identify and address listing requirements and issues directly in the newly optimized product list
- You must have an eBay business account with a US address (eBay store not required). Only one eBay account can be connected to one BigCommerce store at a time.
- You must have a PayPal account.
- You must have adequate seller limits for your eBay account. You won’t be able to create new listings if you’re currently exceeding your limits.
- Only physical products can be listed. Downloadable products are not supported.
- Inventory tracking must be enabled and have stock of 1 or more.
- Inventory tracking by options must be enabled for products with options, and each available variant must have a stock of 1 or more.
- Product Availability attributes (pre-orders, catalog-only) are not reflected in a product's eBay listing; if listed, these products will appear as in-stock and available on eBay.
- Brand names are required for all products.
- Product description is required.
- Product code/SKU is required (both for main/parent product and for individual variants); eBay requires SKU length to be between 1-50 characters, and cannot contain forward slashes (/) or spaces ( ).
- GTIN and MPN are required for branded products in “new” or “manufacturer refurbished” condition in select categories. GTIN (such as UPC) must be valid.
- EAN and ISBN are not currently supported.
- Products must have at least 1 photo.
- For simple products, eBay will show the first 12 photos. If you add more photos after the listing is live/created, it will show the 12 most recently added photos.
- For products with variations, eBay will show the first 12 main/parent photos plus one photo for each variant (if applicable) up to 250 variants.
- Product photos must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side; eBay recommends photos be between 800 - 1600 pixels on the longest side (height or width).
- Borders aren’t allowed on any of your photos. The only exception is if you have a “natural” border created by photographing your square or rectangular item against a neutral-colored backdrop.
- Watermarks are allowed for ownership and attribution, but not for marketing information, specific details about your item, or customer service. Your watermark should be no bigger than 5% of the total image area, have an opacity of no more than 50%, and never obscure the item. Links are not allowed in watermarks.
- No text or artwork (such as “Free shipping” or seller logos) may be added to photos.
- Stock photos can only be used for brand-new items.
- See eBay’s Photo Quality Requirements for more information.
Use the following steps to enable eBay in Channel Manager.
1. Go to Channel Manager › eBay.
2. Scroll down to How to get started, confirm your currency and shipping settings are compatible, then click Get Started.
3. Review eBay’s application access information and click Agree to grant BigCommerce permission to publish and edit listings on your behalf. After you agree, you’ll be returned to your BigCommerce control panel.
4. Enter your PayPal account email address. If you don’t already have one, click Create one now.
5. Configure your Shipping Options by selecting a Shipping Service and giving it a Cost or marking it as Free Shipping. You can add additional services and adjust your Handling time for orders.
6. Configure your Return Options:
- Customize the copy for your Return Policy. URLs are not allowed and HTML is not supported in the return policy copy.
- Set the amount of time after receiving an item a buyer can contact you about a return.
- Specify whether the merchant (you) or the buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.
- Specify if you charge a restocking fee.
Important: Even if you specify "no returns accepted", under the eBay Money Back Guarantee the buyer can still return an item if it doesn't match the listing description.
7. Finally, configure your Taxes by clicking + Add a State.
- Select the state you collect sales tax in.
- Set the percentage to be charged.
- Set whether to apply sales tax to Shipping and Handling charges.
If you collect sales tax in more than one state, click + Add Additional State.
8. When you’re done configuring your settings, click Finish Setup.
Updating your shipping, tax, or return setting will not update listings that are already active. To update the shipping and return options on already active listings, you'll need to edit the active listing from your eBay seller account.
The New Product List
When you set up and enable eBay in Channel Manager, we’ll automatically upgrade your product list (Products › View in your control panel). The new product list is where you will list and manage all your channel listings. For a full list of its new features and design, see The New Product List.
- Creating listings
- Listing errors and rejected listings
- Listing products in bulk
- Changing active listings
- Hiding listings
1. Go to Products › View and click Storefront › Create Listing next to the product you want to list on eBay.
2. Select eBay for Channels. For Product Listing Category, eBay uses advanced logic to try to automatically map your BigCommerce category to an eBay category. Click Choose a Category to override this automation and manually select a category.
3. By default, your new eBay product listing will use the same name, description, brand, and price details your product has in your BigCommerce store. Listings created from the Product Listing Details page will have a default Product Condition of New.
You can choose to override these defaults to be specific to eBay. These edits are only reflected at eBay.com and not on your BigCommerce store or other marketplace listings.
4. Below the product override fields, you’ll see a section listing all the different variations of your product (based on its current options). You can optionally give each variant a specific price (just for eBay) and decide which variants to include in the listing (the checkbox under “Listed”).
5. When you’re done making changes, click Publish to submit your listing.
After saving, your product will show a listing status of Pending. After your product has been successfully listed, its listing status will change from Pending to Listed.
Once your product is listed, it will show up on the Product Listing Details page with a link to the live listing on eBay and its eBay Item Number.
Listing Errors and Rejected Listings
If your product was rejected, you’ll see X Listing Error(s) in the Listed On column of the product list. Click on it and select eBay from the Channels drop-down. The Product Listing Details page will report any errors eBay had while attempting to list the product. See eBay Errors for specific listing errors, explanations, and solutions.
Listing Products in Bulk
1. Go to Products and check each product you want to list on eBay.
2. Click Bulk Actions, then select List products on channel.
3. Check eBay, then click List products.
If any listing errors are encountered when attempting to list in bulk, you’ll be notified with a banner in the product list. The banner shows the number of products that have errors, and clicking the link will display a popup window with error details broken down by product.
Some product attributes (e.g. SKU, brand, price) can be updated in bulk. Click Edit Products and the products with listing errors will be loaded into the Bulk Edit Products screen.
Missing required fields that are preventing the products from being listed are highlighted. If your products are missing SKUs, we’ll automatically generate some for you (you can change them).
Once you’ve fixed your product details, save your changes, then try listing again.
Listing products with variants in bulk? All variants that have available stock will initially be included in the listing. To remove a particular variant from appearing at eBay, you’ll need to uncheck it in the Product Listing Details page. This is true for both new and relisted products.
Changing Active Listings
1. On the product list page, select eBay from the Channels drop-down next to a product.
2. On the Product Listing Details page, make your changes and Save when finished. Updates are reflected at eBay quickly, usually within a minute.
Note: If the payment policy on an eBay listing created in BigCommerce is changed, it will break the connection between eBay and BigCommerce for that specific listing. If this happens you be unable to update the listing from BigCommerce.
Hiding a listing will set its available stock to zero (at eBay only) and mark it as “out of stock” on eBay. This allows the listing to maintain a consistent ItemID at eBay, which helps to improve inventory management, retain sales history, and improve SEO. You can delete listings from your eBay seller dashboard.
To hide a product from eBay, in the product list, check the box next to the product and select Hide products on channels from the Bulk Actions drop-down. Check the box next to eBay, then click Hide products.
Be careful! Listings created in BigCommerce should also be ended (hidden) in BigCommerce. It is possible to end a listing created in BigCommerce at eBay directly. However, this will break the connection between eBay and BigCommerce and you'll be unable to relist it again using the same SKU and Product ID. Our engineering team is aware of this issue and are working to resolve it.
Checking Orders from eBay
Orders received from eBay are listed on your Orders screen with an eBay icon.
For orders received from eBay, buyer order notifications are controlled and sent from eBay instead of BigCommerce. You can adjust your notifications settings in the Seller section of your eBay account dashboard.
When certain order statuses are updated in BigCommerce, they are automatically synced to the order at eBay. Conversely, if an order status is updated at eBay, its status is automatically updated in BigCommerce.
When you create a shipment or change an order status, that data (status, tracking information) is relayed to eBay to then forward to the buyer. It can take a few minutes to update status and tracking information at eBay.
Below is a list of BigCommerce statuses and their eBay equivalents. Not all BigCommerce order statuses translate to eBay order statuses (e.g. Refunded).
Cancellations, Returns and Refunds
- Order cancellations and refunds (full and partial) are managed from your eBay Seller dashboard.
- If an order is cancelled at eBay, the order status for that order in BigCommerce will update to Cancelled. Even if the order is then refunded at eBay, the status will remain Cancelled in BigCommerce.
- If an order is partially refunded at eBay, the order status for that order in BigCommerce will update to Refunded.
- Updating an order's status to Refunded in BigCommerce will not update the corresponding order's status to Refunded at eBay.
- Returns are initiated by the buyer on eBay's site. You'll receive notification and next steps in your eBay Seller dashboard.
GMV and Order Count
Orders from eBay are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV and order count, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing.
Partial shipments: Partial fulfillment of a single item is not supported. For example, if a shopper buys quantity 2 of a single product (a bicycle) and you create a shipment for just 1 of them, eBay will mark the entire order as fulfilled.
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
There are no additional fees from BigCommerce. However, orders processed through our eBay integration are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV and order count, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing; eBay charges insertion and final value fees to use their service.
What if I only have a personal eBay account?
You can create a new account for your business or change your personal account into a business account type. See eBay’s article on How to register as a business.
Can I offer different shipping options for different products?
This is planned for a future release. For now, all listings created from BigCommerce use the same “listing template”.
Can I list on eBay Motors? Can I list on eBay.ca?
This is planned for a future release.
Can I create auction format listings?
No, all listings created with BigCommerce are Buy It Now (fixed price) format.
How long will my products stay listed?
All listings created with BigCommerce are GTC (Good Til Cancelled').
What if I use third-party inventory or order management apps?
Stock levels are automatically synced between your storefront and eBay in real time. If you are using third-party apps for order and inventory management, we recommend disabling the eBay channel sync in those apps since BigCommerce will serve as the single "source of truth" for both a product's storefront and eBay stock.
How long does it take for my listing to appear on eBay?
It depends on the amount of listings being created/updated at once, but generally, updates happen within a few minutes.
How are product images ordered in eBay listings? Can I change the order?
Product images in eBay listings follow the sort order defined in the product's details in your BigCommerce control panel. For products with variants, the main product images are shown first, followed by any variant-specific images. The Use as Thumbnail setting is not used by eBay — the listing will use the first product image as the thumbnail in eBay search results.
To change the order of product images on eBay and your storefront, see Adding a Product | Images & Videos.
If you add new product images after a product is already listed on eBay, you'll need to update the listing by re-saving the Product Listing Details page, or by re-bulk listing the item before they'll be sent to eBay.
What happens with my existing eBay listings?
If an order is received from eBay and the product does not already exist in your BigCommerce store (based on SKU), we will create a placeholder product for it. This is for order management and fulfillment purposes only. These placeholder products do not have a stock level, and cancelling the order in BigCommerce will not affect inventory for the product at eBay. Currently, inventory adjustments for these products must be performed in your eBay seller account.
If you are already selling products on eBay using our legacy eBay integration, those products will not show as being listed on eBay in the new product list. We recommend relisting those products using the new integration. To avoid duplicate listings, copy all the details for those listings from eBay to your BigCommerce catalog, then end those listings on eBay before relisting with the new integration. Keep in mind that settings in the legacy listing template may not match the settings in the new listing exactly. Support for multiple listing templates is planned for a future release.
What if I’ve exceeded my eBay seller limits?
You won’t be able to create additional listings until your listing count or total value is below your current seller limit. You can also request higher limits from eBay.
Since insertion fees are assessed on every product listed on eBay, we don’t recommend listing your entire catalog all at once initially — especially if you are new to listing on eBay.
What if eBay has automatically mapped an item specific (like Style) and I need to change it?
If eBay recognizes your product as matching one already in their catalog, it will attempt to automatically map its item specifics. If these automatically selected item specifics must be overridden, we recommend creating the listing directly from eBay in this case.
What happens if an order from eBay is cancelled?
For now, eBay orders cannot be cancelled from the BigCommerce control panel, and you’ll need to manage them from your eBay seller account.
How do I refund an eBay order?
Full and partial refunds are documented and managed in your eBay seller account.
How do I disable/disconnect eBay?
Go to Channel Manager › eBay. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Disconnect Channel. For quality assurance, we ask your reason for disconnecting. After you’ve selected a reason, click Disconnect.
Dashboard notification: We seem to have lost the connection with your eBay account. Please click here to reconnect to eBay.
Channel Manager error: Oh no! Something went wrong with your integration. Please reconnect to continue using eBay.
If your eBay account password changes, it can break the connection between your BigCommerce store and your eBay account. Click the here link or Reconnect button to log into your eBay account and restore the connection. If your store gets disconnected, you'll see an alert in your dashboard and on the eBay Channel Manager setup page.
Can I get help with the old/legacy eBay integration?
Yes, see Using the Legacy eBay Integration.
Additional eBay Resources
- Sell on eBay with BigCommerce
- Register a new eBay account
- How to register as a business
- Standard selling fees
- Limits on eBay sellers
Resources to help you sell more:
- Seller Center — Get access to scheduled seller updates, information on eBay branded shipping supplies, tips, and resources for selling in the holiday season.
- eBay Seller Hub — Seller Hub includes competitive listing guidance, sales performance metrics and marketing tools to help increase sales and drive traffic to your listings.
- Fee Illustrator — If you’re considering signing up for or upgrading your eBay store, this tool helps compare features and costs to find a solution that best fits your needs.
- Manage Your Promotions — Market and advertise your sales and special offers within the eBay marketplace to stand out from the crowd and attract the right kind of buyer at the right time.
- Promoted Listings — Increase the likelihood of a sale by improving the visibility of your listings to buyers who are actively searching and shopping.
- How One Business Broke $100K/month selling on eBay