Offering In-Store Pickup and Payment
What We'll Cover
This guide covers setting up in-store payment and shipping methods. These will let your customers place the order online without paying for the order or shipping charges so that you can receive payment in person. Alternatively, your customer can pay for the order online and then pick it up in-store at no charge.
Setting up an "In-store Pickup" Shipping Method
These steps will cover how to set up a local pickup zone. This sets the geographical perimeter for which customers can pick up their order, and charges a free or flat shipping rate.
Creating a Local Shipping Zone
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping.
2. Click Add shipping zone, then select Add a custom zone.
3. Fill out the following details:
- Name — the zone's name (e.g. "Local")
- Type — select Advanced Selection and select Multiple Postcodes.
- Country — select your country
Creating a state-based zone If you want to open up in-store pickup to anyone within your state, change Type to Selection of States or Provinces, then select your country and state. To open it up to anyone in multiple states, select Advanced Selection › Multiple states/provinces across countries and select your preferred states.
4. Enter the zip or postal code(s) in the text field under the country field. Each postal code must be on its own line. See more tips on adding zip codes. For tools to help you create zip codes within a specific radius, city, or county, see Additional Resources.
5. Click Submit. You have now created a local zone. Anyone whose shipping address falls inside this zone will be able to use any shipping methods you create for it. Keep in mind that they will only have access to the methods set up for this zone, so you will want to add your usual shipping methods in addition to the local pickup method.
Multiple store addresses? You can duplicate shipping methods if you need more than one local zone. On the page that lists all of your shipping zones, locate your zone and click the down arrow next to Edit, and select Duplicate.
Creating a local pickup shipping method
1. Click Configure for your newly created local shipping zone.
2. Locate the toggle switch next to the Flat Rate method, and switch the toggle to ON.
3. Enter the following details:
- Display Name — the name your customers will see for the shipping method (e.g. "In-store Pickup")
- Shipping is — enter a shipping charge or enter $0
- Per Order/Item — select whether the rate is charged by order or for each item in the order. If you are offering free in-store pickup, it doesn't matter which you select.
4. Save your changes.
Remember to include additional shipping methods in your local zone, so that customers in that zone can still opt to have their order shipped to them.
Setting Up an In-Store Payment Method
You can optionally allow your customers to place an order without paying online, with the understanding that they will pay when they come to pick up their order. This is done by utilizing an offline payment method that will provide instructions letting the customer know that payment will be expected upon pickup.
Because this is an offline method, no payment gateway or merchant accounts are required. However, because payments cannot be made on a pre-existing order in BigCommerce, you will need to accept the payment and update the order's status manually.
1. Go to Store Setup › Payments.
2. Click Offline Payment Methods.
3. Locate the Pay In Store method and click the Set Up button next to it.
4. You will be taken to a new tab, where you can set up the Pay In Store payment method. Fill out the following information:
- Display Name — "Pay in Store"
- Available Countries — Select your country. Although this method can only be limited to your country, the shipping method will let you place further limits on state or zip code.
- Payment Information — Let the customer know that their order has been placed online and that they must pick up and pay for the order in the store. You may want to include your store's address, contact information, and a time limit after which the inventory will be returned to stock.
5. Save your changes. Your Pay In Store method is now set up. Try running a test order to get an idea of how this will look to your customers, and to make any changes. Orders placed using this method will have an Awaiting Payment status.
Managing Your In-Store Orders
Because both the in-store pickup and in-store payment methods require personal offline transactions to occur, orders using these methods will need to be manually updated.
Pay and pick up in store
Orders placed by customers using both the in-store payment and in-store pickup methods will be marked as Awaiting Payment in BigCommerce.
1. When the customer arrives, take payment using your normal brick-and-mortar payment processing. Since the order has been marked as receiving manual payment, you won't be able to process it through BigCommerce.
2. After receiving payment, locate the order in the BigCommerce control panel under View Orders.
3. Change the order's status to Completed.
Pick up in store
Orders that have been paid for online will be assigned the Awaiting Fulfillment status.
1. When your customer arrives to pick up their products, locate their order in the View Orders section of your BigCommerce control panel.
2. Change the order's status to Completed.