Offering In-Store Pickup and Payment
What We'll Cover
The best online retailers offer a variety of ways for customers to receive their products. Traditional shipping options are certainly the most common, but by offering in-store pickup and payment, you combine the ease of shopping online with the promptness of purchasing from a local retailer. By offering in-store pickup and payment, your shoppers can:
- avoid shipping costs
- make sure the product is available
- buy now and pickup later
Setting up an "In-store Pickup" Shipping Method
These steps will cover how to set up a local pickup zone. This sets the geographical perimeter for which customers can pick up their order.
Anyone whose shipping address falls inside this zone will be able to use any shipping methods you create for it. Keep in mind that they will only have access to the methods set up for this zone, so you will want to add your usual shipping methods in addition to the local pickup method.
Creating a Local Shipping Zone
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping.
2. Click Add shipping zone, then select Add a custom zone.
3. Fill out the following details:
- Name — the zone's name (e.g. "Local")
- Type — select Advanced Selection and select Multiple postcodes.
- Country — select your country
Creating a state-based zone? If you want to open up in-store pickup to anyone within your state, change Type to Selection of States or Provinces, then select your country and state. To open it up to anyone in multiple states, select Advanced Selection › Multiple states/provinces across countries and select your preferred states.
4. Enter the ZIP or postal code(s) in the text field under the country field. Each postal code must be on its own line. See more tips on adding ZIP codes. For tools to help you create ZIP codes within a specific radius, city, or county, see Additional Resources.
5. Click Submit. You have now created a local zone.
Creating a local pickup shipping method
1. Click Configure for your newly created local shipping zone.
2. Locate the toggle switch next to the Flat Rate method, and switch the toggle to ON.
3. Enter the following details:
- Display Name — the name your customers will see for the shipping method (e.g. "In-store Pickup")
- Shipping rate — enter a shipping charge or enter $0
- Type — select whether the rate is charged per order or per item in the order. If you are offering free in-store pickup, it doesn't matter which you select.
4. Save your changes.
Remember to include additional shipping methods in your local zone, so that customers in that zone can still opt to have their order shipped to them.
Setting Up an In-Store Payment Method
No payment gateway or merchant accounts are required for this offline method. However, you will need to accept payment and update the order's status manually.
1. Go to Store Setup › Payment.
2. Click Offline Payment Methods.
3. Locate the Pay In Store method and click the Set up button next to it.
4. You will be taken to a new tab, where you can set up the Pay In Store payment method. Fill out the following information:
- Display Name — "Pay in Store"
- Available Countries — Select your country. Although this method can only be limited to your country, the shipping method will let you place further limits on state or ZIP code.
- Payment Information — Let the customer know that their order has been placed online and that they must pick up and pay for the order in the store. You may want to include your store's address, contact information, and a time limit after which the inventory will be returned to stock.
5. Save your changes. Your Pay In Store method is now set up. Try running a test order to get an idea of how this will look to your customers, and to make any changes. Orders placed using this method will have an Awaiting Payment status.
Managing Your In-Store Orders
Orders created with the in-store pickup and in-store payment methods require offline transactions to occur, so they will need to be manually updated.
Pay and pick up in store
Orders placed by customers using both the in-store payment and in-store pickup methods will be marked as Awaiting Payment in BigCommerce.
1. When the customer arrives, take payment using your normal brick-and-mortar payment processing.
2. After receiving payment, locate the order in the BigCommerce control panel under View Orders.
3. Change the order's status to Completed.
Pick up in store
Orders that have been paid for online will be assigned the Awaiting Fulfillment status.
1. When your customer arrives to pick up their products, locate their order in the View Orders section of your BigCommerce control panel.
2. Change the order's status to Completed.