Legacy API Accounts
This is a deprecated feature! As of July 2018, this feature is no longer available to new stores or stores who have never used it. It is recommended to move to Store API Accounts.
Some older third-party apps and integrations require permission to make changes or updates to your store. An API Account is an app-specific username and password that allows this access.
Most apps available in the App Marketplace today are Single Click Apps. They're quick and easy to install, and don't require the added steps of creating a dedicated API account then supplying those credentials to a third party.
We strongly recommend building all BigCommerce apps with OAuth. OAuth is compatible with all current and planned BigCommerce APIs, including v2 Webhooks and our v3 API. Also, any apps intended for sale on the BigCommerce App Marketplace must use OAuth. BigCommerce is gradually deprecating its legacy support for Basic Authentication, which is what this article covers. See Store API Accounts for more information on creating OAuth tokens/keys.
Legacy API accounts can be found under Advanced Settings › Legacy API Settings in the Control Panel.
Creating an API Account
There are three parts to an API account:
- Username — The username attached to this API account
- API Path — This lets the app know where to connect to the API
- API Token — Sometimes referred to as the API password or API key. Click Generate New Token if you need to change it. If you are generating a new token for an existing account, be sure to Save after generating.
2. Click Create a Legacy API Account.
3. Enter a Username. Using the app's name is a good way to keep track of what account goes to what app. After saving, you can copy the API Path and Token on this page into the app or integration.
4. Click Save if you're creating or changing the API account.
To view an existing account’s details, click the Action icon to the right of the account’s username, then Edit.