Installing a BigCommerce SSL Certificate
An SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate is issued by a trusted authority for a specific domain or subdomain. It verifies that a secure page is properly encrypted, ensuring that all information passed between a user and the site is private. Having an encrypted store helps boost your conversion rate by increasing shopper confidence. In addition, serving your entire site securely can improve your store’s SEO.
All BigCommerce stores with a custom domain installed after May 24, 2017 are automatically outfitted with a free, dedicated SSL certificate called Encryption Everywhere, and stores with a custom domain installed before that date can opt in to the free certificate at any time.
In addition, BigCommerce also offers three levels of dedicated SSL certificates verified by GeoTrust. To learn more about the features all of our SSL certificates offer, see BigCommerce SSL Options.
Installing an SSL Certificate from BigCommerce
The process of purchasing and installing an SSL certificate differs depending on which billing and accounting system your store is using. Determine yours and choose the corresponding set of instructions below.
1. Go to Server Settings › SSL Certificate.
2. Select the domain for your SSL certificate (if you have more than one) and click Choose a certificate.
3. Click Buy at the bottom of the SSL certificate type you would like to purchase (or Install for Encryption Everywhere). Scroll down to see a comparison of the different SSL certificates BigCommerce offers.
4. Verify that your Bill to details are correct. If not, click Edit.
5. Select an Approver Email address from the dropdown list of email address that have been preselected by your domain registrar, then click Confirm Purchase. Within a few minutes, you will receive an email asking you to verify your contact and ownership of the domain.
Free Encryption Everywhere SSL requires an approver email. If you are choosing to set up Encryption Everywhere, you still need to select an approver email from the dropdown menu. However, you will not receive an approval email.
Once verified, your SSL certificate will be installed within 10 minutes. After this period, you will receive another email confirming that the installation has completed.
Note that certain SSL certificates, like True BusinessID with EV, may take 1-3 days to process.
How do I resend my SSL approval email? If you didn't receive the original approval email and need to resend it, you can do so from the Account Dashboard by clicking on SSL Certificates at the top of the screen. Locate your newly purchased SSL certificate and click View, then select Resend Activation Email.
1. Go to Server Settings › SSL Certificate.
2. If you do not already have a dedicated SSL certificate, click View SSL Certificate Options. If you are renewing an expired SSL certificate, click Purchase or renew an SSL certificate.
3. Select Purchase a dedicated SSL certificate from BigCommerce. Complete the purchase of your SSL certificate.
Looking for Encryption Everywhere? Stores using the Legacy Client Area will need to contact our support team to install the Encryption Everywhere SSL certificate.
4. On Step 4: Certificate Details, you will be asked to choose an approver email from a drop-down list of email addresses that have been preselected by your domain registrar. Be sure to select an email account that is already set up. If none of the provided emails have been set up, you may wish to either create and set it up or have it forward to an existing email account.
5. Within a few minutes, you will receive an Approval email. Click the link it contains to approve your purchase of the SSL certificate. You will receive a second email containing the actual certificate. Copy this certificate, including the lines that contain -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE-----.
6. Back in the BigCommerce control panel, go to Server Settings › SSL Certificate. Paste your SSL Certificate into the empty area, then Save.
7. Your SSL certificate will take approximately 10 minutes to install and take effect. After this, you can use the tools below to ensure it’s working properly.
How do I know my SSL certificate is installed/working?
You can check your SSL certificate using the following tools:
- SSL Shopper's SSL Checker — check that your domain is using a properly-installed SSL certificate
- SSL Shopper's Certificate Decoder — check your SSL certificate's information, like expiration date
- Why No Padlock? — check individual secure URLs and get specific security errors if it detects any problems