Installing a BigCommerce SSL Certificate
An SSL certificate is a certificate issued by a trusted third party. It verifies that a secure web page (like a checkout page) is properly encrypted, ensuring that all information passed between a user and the internet browser is private. Having an encrypted store helps boost your conversion rate by increasing consumer confidence.
All BigCommerce stores are outfitted with an SSL certificate by default, which uses the .mybigcommerce.com domain. As a result, your secure pages, like the cart and checkout page, will have a URL containing store-xxxxxx.mybigcommerce.com. To have your store display your store's URL continuously throughout the checkout process, which is often preferred by customers concerned about security, you can purchase a dedicated SSL certificate.
Purchasing and Installing an SSL Certificate
The process of purchasing and installing an SSL certificate differs depending on which billing and accounting system your store is using. Determine which billing system your store is using and choose the corresponding set of instructions below.
To install an SSL certificate, you will need to be logged in as the Store Owner.
1. In your BigCommerce control panel, go to Server Settings › SSL Certificate.
2. Click Purchase a new SSL. This is also the option you should choose if renewing an expired SSL certificate.
3. Click Buy now at the bottom of the SSL certificate type you would like to purchase. Learn more about BigCommerce SSL features.
- Click Compare SSL Plans to view and compare the details of each certificate type.
- Click Biennial Pricing to show pricing for 2-year SSL certificate purchases, which are discounted.
4. Verify that your Bill to details are correct. If not, click Edit, enter your payment details, then click Submit.
5. Choose an Approver Email from the drop-down list of email addresses that have been preselected by your domain registrar, then click Confirm Purchase.
Just so you know... The SSL certificate approval email will be sent to the email address you select here. If none of the provided email addresses have been set up, you will need to either create and set one up or have one forwarded to an existing email account.
6. Within a few minutes, you will receive an email asking you to verify your contact and ownership of the domain. Once verified, your SSL certificate will be installed within 30 minutes. After this period, you will receive an email confirming that the installation has completed. Note that certain SSL certificates, such as SSL with EV, may take up to 10 days to process.
How do I resend my SSL approval email? If you didn't receive the original approval email and need to resend it, you can do so from the Account Dashboard by clicking on SSL Certificates in the top menu. From there, locate your newly purchased SSL certificate and click View, then select Resend Activation Email.
1. In your BigCommerce control panel, go to Server Settings › SSL Certificates.
If you do not see SSL Certificates listed in the Server Settings menu despite being on a Plus or higher plan, you may not be logged in as the store owner.
2. If you do not already have a dedicated SSL certificate, click View SSL Certificate Options. If you are renewing an expired SSL certificate, click Purchase or renew an SSL certificate.
3. Select Purchase a dedicated SSL certificate from BigCommerce. Complete the purchase of your SSL certificate.
4. On Step 4: Certificate Details, you will be asked to choose an approver email from a drop-down list of email addresses that have been preselected by your domain registrar. Be sure to select an email account that is already set up. If none of the provided emails have been set up, you may wish to either create and set it up or have it forward to an existing email account.
5. Within a few minutes, you will receive an Approval email. Click the link it contains to approve your purchase of the SSL certificate. You will receive a second email containing the actual certificate. Copy this certificate, including the lines that contain BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE.
6. In the BigCommerce control panel, go back to Server Settings › SSL Certificate*. Paste your SSL Certificate into the empty area, then Save.
7. Your SSL certificate will take approximately 15 minutes to take effect. After this, you can use the tools listed below to check it.
Update your DNS! Switching to a private SSL will change your IP address. If you are pointing to your store using an A record, you'll need to update the DNS at your register with your new IP address.
How do I know my SSL is working?
You can check your SSL certificate using the following tools:
- SSL Shopper's SSL Checker - this tool will check that your domain is using a properly-installed SSL certificate
- SSL Shopper's Certificate Decoder - this tool can help you check your SSL certificate's information, such as its expiration date
- Why No Padlock? - this page checks individual secure URLs and provides specific security errors if it detects any problems