Installing a Bigcommerce SSL Certificate
What We'll Cover
If you signed up for an Enterprise plan on or after August 3rd, 2015, see the following document for instructions.
An SSL certificate is a certificate issued by a trusted third party. It verifies that a secure webpage (such as a checkout page) is properly encrypted, ensuring that all information passed between a user and the internet browser is private. Having an SSL can help you boost your conversion rate by increasing consumer confidence.
All Bigcommerce stores are outfitted with an SSL certificate by default, which uses the .mybigcommerce subdomain. As a result, your secure pages like the cart and checkout page will have a URL containing "store-xxxxxx.mybigcommerce.com." To have your store display your store's URL continuously throughout the checkout process, which often preferred by customers concerned about security, you can purchase a dedicated SSL certificate. A dedicated SSL certificate has the same level of security as the shared SSL certificate, but has the added benefit of preventing the URL from changing domains when going to secure page. Bigcommerce is able to offer SSL certificates verified by GeoTrust.
To learn more about the features offered by the different SSL certificates you can purchase from Bigcommerce, see Bigcommerce SSL Options.
Purchasing and Installing an SSL
1. In your Bigcommerce control panel, go to Settings › Server Settings › SSL Certificate.
If you do not see SSL Certificate listed in the Server Settings menu despite being on a Plus or higher plan, you may not be logged in as the store owner. Confirm this by clicking Users in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
2. If you do not already have a dedicated SSL, click View SSL Certificate Options. If you are renewing an expired SSL, click Purchase or renew an SSL certificate.
3. Select Purchase a dedicated SSL certificate from Bigcommerce. Complete the purchase of your SSL certificate.
4. On Step 4: Certificate Details, you will be asked to choose an approver email from a drop-down list of email addresses that have been preselected by your domain registrar. Be sure to select an email account that is already set up. If none of the provided emails have been set up, you may wish to either create and set it up or have it forward to an existing email account.
5. Within a few minutes, you will receive an Approval email. Click the link it contains to approve your purchase of the SSL. You will receive a second email containing the actual certificate. Copy this certificate, including the lines that contain BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE.
6. In the Bigcommerce control panel, go back to Settings › Server Settings › SSL Certificate*. Paste your SSL Certificate into the empty area, then Save.
7. Your SSL will take approximately 15 minutes to take effect. After this, you can use the tools listed below to check it.
Update your DNS! Switching to a private SSL will change your IP address. If you are pointing to your store using an A record, you'll need to update the DNS at your register with your new IP address.
How do I know my SSL is working?
You can check your SSL using the following tools:
- SSL Shopper's SSL Checker - this tool will check that your domain is using a properly-installed SSL
- SSL Shopper's Certificate Decoder - this tool can help you check your SSL's information, such as its expiration date
- Why No Padlock? - this page checks individual secure URLs and provides specific security errors if it detects any problems