Setting Up Royal Mail
Royal Mail provides real time shipping quotes to UK shoppers on your storefront. Royal Mail delivers a six-days-a-week, one-price-goes-anywhere postal service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK. Providing real time shipping quotes with Royal Mail is available only to merchants who ship from the United Kingdom. You’ll first need to set up your shipping origin and create a shipping zone.
Enabling Royal Mail
1. Go to Store Setup › Shipping.
2. Click Edit or Configure next to a shipping zone.
3. Scroll down to Real time shipping quotes and click Connect next to Royal Mail.
4. Select your Delivery services, then click Save.
Royal Mail Support
Royal Mail’s support site is a good place to start if you have a question specific to your account, or a general inquiry about the services and solutions they offer.
They also have a dedicated service updates page, which reports on localized delivery, quoting, and collection issues.
Royal Mail Size and Weight Formats
Domestic - Shipping Inside the UK
|Format||Examples||Max weight||Max length||Max width||Max depth|
|Letter||Greeting cards, personal letters, postcards, bills||100g||24cm||16.5cm||5mm|
|Large Letter||A4 documents, certificates, magazines,|
CD or DVD in case, some large greeting cards with badges
|Small Parcel||Ladies boots, portable speakers, winter puffa coat, desk lamp||2kg||45cm||35cm||16cm|
|Medium Parcel||Gifts, shoes, heavy or bulky items||20kg||61cm||46cm||46cm|
For tube-shaped items, the length of the item plus twice the diameter must not exceed 104cm, with the greatest dimension being no more than 90cm.
For example, using (length + diameter x 2), a tube 45cm long with a diameter of 7.6cm would be 60.2cm, which is under the limit.
Parcels greater in size than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm or heavier than 20kg must be sent using Parcelforce Worldwide services, which include tracking and are guaranteed. Parcelforce items can measure up to:
- 1.5m in length
- 3m in length and depth combined
- Weight limit: 30kg
International - Shipping Outside of the UK
|Format||Max weight||Max length||Max width||Max depth|
Height + Width + Depth no greater than 90cm
with no single side longer than 60cm
|Tube / roll||2kg*||Not exceeding:|
Length + 2 x diameter should not be more than 104cm
*Printed papers allowable up to 5kg.
Books and Pamphlets
You can send books and pamphlets (meaning any papers ‘bound’ together), up to 5kg. Items between 2kg and 5kg in weight which contain books or pamphlets must be marked as ‘Printed Papers’ in the top left corner on the front of the parcel.
- Ireland – only books may be sent above 2kg (no pamphlets over 2kg).
- Canada – no items can be above 2kg.
- Cambodia – no items can be above 2kg.
If your international parcel exceeds the limits above, it must be shipped via Parcelforce Worldwide. Each country has its own size and weight restrictions, which are available in the Worldwide Directory on their website.
- Price Finder — allows you to estimate what a particular shipment might cost, and optionally buy postage for that service from Royal Mail and Parcelforce Worldwide
- Price Guide — printable price guide provided by Royal Mail and Parcelforce
- Branch Finder — locate the nearest Post Office by choosing the services you need and your postcode or town
- A-Z guide to wrapping and packaging — guide for wrapping and packaging specific kinds of products
- Prohibited & Resstricted goods — list of items which Royal Mail is unable to carry in the UK or for legal or internationally for health and safety reasons
- Customs — important information on sending and receiving items abroad