Using Wordpress for your Blog
What We'll Cover
BigCommerce allows you to use a Wordpress blog instead of the Built-In Blog if you need more robust features. You will need to sign up for a Wordpress blog before following the steps below. See Wordpress's support for more information about their platform.
Want shoppers to make purchases from your blog? With the Buy Buttons app you can build custom "Buy" buttons and links that adds a product to the shopping cart. You can add the buttons or links to your blog, social media channels and more.
Linking to Your Wordpress Blog from BigCommerce
Once you have set up your Wordpress blog, you can link to it from your BigCommerce store.
1. Go to Storefront Content › Web Pages, then click Create a web page.
2. Next to This Page Will, select Link to another website or document.
3. Type in a Page Name. This will be name of the link that shopper's will see on your storefront.
4. In the Link field, enter the URL of your blog. For example, http://mynewblog.wordpress.com.
Using Your Domain Name for Your Blog
You can also setup your WordPress.com blog to be on a sub domain of your BigCommerce store. Wordpress.com charges $13/year for this service.
1. Go to Server Settings › DNS Records.
2. Click the Web Hosts tab, then create a new record with the following details. We're using examples, you'll want to use a subdomain of your domain for Fully Qualified Host, and your actual Wordpress.com address for Value.
- Type: CNAME
- Fully Qualified Host: yourblog.yourstoredomain.com (example)
- Value: yourblog.wordpress.com
- Time to live: 3600
3. In your Wordpress.com dashboard, go to Store › My Domains.
4. Click Map an Existing Domain, then type in the URL of the subdomain you've just set up. In our example, yourblog.yourstoredomain.com.
5. After you've finalized payment, your blog should be accessible from the subdomain you defined.
When will the domain name change? Changes to DNS records can take up to 24-48 hours to fully propagate.