Creating Terms of Service
What is a Terms of Service Agreement?
Creating a ToS helps establish what you expect of site users and provides accountability. It can cover things such as:
- Define words or phrases
- Explain proper or expected usage
- Define misuse
- Accountability for actions, conduct, and behavior
- Details about subscription or membership fees
- Opt-out policies
- Dispute resolution process
- Disclaimers/Limitation of Liability
- User notification if the terms change
Terms of Service Content
Requirements for what you need to include in your Terms of Service will be unique to your business. To make sure your Terms of Service follow the requirements of your country, make sure you review the content of the Terms with a legal professional. BigCommerce support cannot offer specific advice.
Terms of service Generators
There are a few resources available that generate a basic Terms of Service for an ecommerce store. You can use a generator service to give you content for a basic Terms of Service.
- Free Terms and Conditions Generator (U.S.) (Termly.io)
- E-Commerce Privacy, Terms & Conditions Policy Generator (seotoaster.com)
Generators can offer blanket coverage and may offer more specific plans for a fee. The best method to make sure your ToS is adequate would be to talk to your legal advisor.
Adding Terms of Service
Once you have the content of your terms ready, add a Web Page. Use the WYSIWYG Editor and enter the content of your ToS. This gives you a general page that users can view at any time during their visit.