Adding Page Links to Your Category Menu (Blueprint)
Tailoring your website navigation to your target audience is critical to your conversion rate. Depending on the theme you have chosen, you may want to reconfigure its navigation to display your categories and web pages side-by-side. By leveraging BigCommerce’s built-in categories and 301 redirect feature, this can be accomplished in just a few quick steps. These instructions can be applied to Stencil and legacy Blueprint Themes, however this mostly applies to older Blueprint themes.
Why doesn’t my theme display pages in the main navigation by default? Each BigCommerce theme’s category and page links are controlled by separate code snippets, allowing theme developers to place them in different areas of a storefront. Some themes may display category links in their main navigation, but list page links only in their footer.
Creating a Category
Before you begin, be sure that you have created the web page(s) you would like to add to your navigation.
1. Go to Product › Product Categories, then click Create a Category.
2. Enter a Name for the category. This will determine how the link displays in your navigation.
3. Copy the URL. You will need this in a later step.
Why does my auto-generated URL end in “-1”? If the name of your category is the same as the web page you are linking it to, it is likely that the auto-generated URL will end in “-1” or some other number. This is because although a web page and category can have the same name, they must each have a unique URL.
4. Click Save & Exit.
By default, your new category will be placed at the beginning of your list of categories. Click and drag the new category to reorder it in the list.
You should now have a new link in your navigation menu that directs to this new category. Follow the steps below to direct it to the appropriate web page instead.
Creating a 301 Redirect
1. Go to Server Settings › 301 Redirects, then click Add Redirect.
2. Paste the Category URL you copied above into the Old URL field.
3. Change the Redirect Type drop-down menu to Dynamic Link.
4. Click the Click here to choose a ... web page link, then select the Page tab from the popup that appears.
5. From the list of web pages that displays, select the web page you’d like to link to, then click Insert Link.
Your main navigation will now contain a link that directs to the appropriate web page.