Using the Built-In Blog
Blogging can be an excellent tool for promoting your products and giving your store a personal touch, as well as providing a boost to your site's SEO ranking.
By default, a basic blog is included on the BigCommerce platform. The look and feel of the blog is controlled by the theme. To access the blog, go to Storefront › Blog.
Every new store has the built-in blog visible by default. If you are using a different blogging platform or don't want to use a blog, toggle the Blog Visibility to hide the blog on your storefront.
Note: Turning the visibility off will not disable the blog. Anyone that has the URL to a blog post will still be able to access it. Unpublish or delete blog posts created with the built-in blog if you are moving to a different blog platform or wish to disable the blog.
Creating a Blog Post
1. Go to Storefront › Blog then click the + button.
2. Give the post a Title, then add your content to the Body.
3. Click Publish when you are ready for the post to be seen by your audience. Otherwise, click Save Draft to save your work to publish at a later date.
- Author — designates who wrote this particular blog post
- Tags — used for categorizing similar blog posts
- Summary thumbnail image — displays a thumbnail image to be included in the blog post and summary
- Post URL — designates a specific URL for the post; by default, the URL is based off of the post's Title
- Meta description — specifies the description that will appear in the appropriate meta tag for this post
Click the Action menu to access the Blog Settings. Here you can update the blog's navigation title, URL, social settings and allow readers to post comments.
About This Blog
- Blog Title — The name that will appear in your store's navigation. Keeping this short and simple is best.
- Blog Description — The description that will appear in your store's navigation. Keeping this short and simple is best.
- Blog URL — You can enter a custom Blog URL if you'd like. By default, the URL is based off of the Blog Title.
The share settings control the options your customers are provided with to share your blog posts across different social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. You can modify these by clicking Edit in Store Settings. For more information see Share Settings.
If you are using a Blueprint theme, you can use Disqus for blog comments by turning on Disqus Comments and entering your Disqus Shortname. To use Disqus with a Stencil theme, see Using Disqus with Stencil.
Recent Blog Posts
To access your display settings, go to Store Setup › Store Settings, then click on the Display tab. Specify the number of blog posts to display by changing the number next to Recent Blog Posts. Enter 0 if you do not want any blog posts to show on the homepage.
Some Stencil themes also support this feature. If so, that setting will usually be found in the Store Design editor.