Using the BigCommerce Mobile Theme (Blueprint)
The BigCommerce Mobile theme for legacy Blueprint is a feature that allows themes that are not responsive to have an SEO friendly mobile version. Since a growing percentage of shoppers use their mobile device to browse stores, it's critical to have a mobile friendly site. The BigCommerce mobile theme has a simplified design
Responsive vs. Mobile Themes
Some of our legacy Blueprint Themes are responsive, meaning they will automatically resize your store to fit any screen, from desktops to laptops to tablets and phones. If you are using a responsive theme, leave the mobile theme disabled.
To see if your current theme is responsive:
1. Go to Storefront › My Themes.
2. Click your current theme's thumbnail image.
3. Check the info and details sections of the popup; if the theme is responsive, it will be listed as such in one of these two sections.
If your theme is not responsive, we highly recommend enabling the mobile theme by following the steps below.
Enabling the Mobile Theme
To enable the mobile theme, go to Storefront › Mobile Theme Settings , then check the box marked Yes, enable the mobile theme.
Once checked, the following options will appear:
- Download Mobile Theme — Downloads your mobile theme's template files so that you can customize and reupload them.
- Enable on These Devices — Allows you to select which types of mobile devices your mobile theme should be used for.
- Mobile — Displays the mobile theme when customers are shopping from an Apple iPhone/iPod Touch, Android Phone, or Windows 8 Phone.
- Tablet — Displays the mobile theme when customers are shopping from an Applie iPad, Android Tablet, or Windows 8/RT Tablet.
- Mobile Theme Logo — Click Choose File to upload a mobile-specific version of your logo to be used when customers are shopping from mobile devices.
If my theme is responsive, can I still use the mobile theme?
- While you can turn on the mobile theme, it is not recommended if the theme is already responsive. Responsive themes offer a better experience in general.
Is the mobile theme unique for every theme?
- The mobile theme is not unique to the theme. It is a very basic mobile site that would need to be customized to match your brand. See Customizing the BigCommerce Mobile Theme (Blueprint).