Troubleshooting | Unable to Send or Receive Email
If you can send but not receive mail, there is an issue with your incoming mail server settings (POP or IMAP). If you can receive but not send, there is an issue with your outgoing mail settings.
Before following the steps below, double-check the following.
- Are you using a supported email client?
- Are you set up to use BigCommerce as your email host? Follow these steps to check.
- Check status.bigcommerce.com to make sure no mail server issues have been reported.
Troubleshooting Email Settings
Once you’ve determined that you are using a supported email client, BigCommerce is hosting your email, and there are no problems with the server, you’ve narrowed down the issue to your email account information or the server settings.
Check your email account login information
1. Are you using the correct username? It should be your full email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. The password should be the one you set up under Server Settings › Email Accounts. This is not necessarily the same as your store login.
3. Reset the password. To reset, go to Server Settings › Email Accounts, edit the email account, and type the new password in both password fields. Save your changes, then attempt to reconnect.
Check the server information
1. Go to Server Settings › Email Accounts. Next to your email account, select the Action icon › Account Details. Make sure you are using the servers listed under Incoming Server and Outgoing Server. It should contain bigcommerce.com (e.g. mail#.bigcommerce.com).
2. Make sure that you have the correct ports entered in your email client.
Check SSL Authentication
Your email client will give you the opportunity to authenticate using SSL for both incoming and outgoing mail servers. Make sure SSL is checked for both.
Do you have any additional settings your email client requires?
Some email clients require additional settings that are required before you connect. Read through your email client’s tutorial listed below to make sure that you have any additional requirements set up correctly.
If you are still unable to connect to your email server, the issue may be with your ISP, or internet service provider. Try contacting them to make sure there isn’t an issue with your store’s or BigCommerce’s IP address being blocked.
If this is the case, we recommend using a 3rd party email provider such as G Suite (formerly Google Apps) or Zoho Mail. These services also provide webmail and are instantly set up and ready to use.
Supported Email Clients
You can also set up your email through Gmail.
Even one setting being different than how the walkthrough specifies can cause problems when accessing the mail server, so we recommend following the linked tutorials closely.
It often helps to try setting up email in another client, in case there is an issue with the email client you are trying to use. Thunderbird is an excellent free alternative.
Some mail clients that previously worked with BigCommerce are no longer supported as a result of the POODLE SSLv3 vulnerability.
Is BigCommerce your email host?
Check whether BigCommerce is set up to host your email by looking at the MX records in your control panel. MX Records DNS record that control where email is hosted. If you are not using BigCommerce MX records, you will be unable to connect using BigCommerce credentials because your email is being hosted by another service.
1. Go to Server Settings › DNS Records.
2. Under the Mail Servers tab, you should see MX records that look similar to the image below. Specifically, the value must contain bigcommerce.com.
If your MX records are not hosted with BigCommerce, contact the service that is hosting them for instructions on setting up email.