Themes & Design Overview
Why Design is Important
By selecting the right design for your business you can influence how a visitor sees and navigates your store — maximizing your opportunity to convert them into paying customers. Every Bigcommerce theme is crafted with great care and applies practices to help you rank better in search engines, fully express the power of your brand, and convert shoppers.
Theme Options: Stencil and Blueprint
We’re excited to currently offer you a choice between two generations of Bigcommerce store themes: Stencil (our newest themes), and Blueprint (our existing themes).
Stencil (Our new themes - currently available for early access):
For beautiful, fully responsive themes that come with light editing functionality (e.g. addition of your logo, products, social media icons, site’s fonts and colors), learn more about our Stencil themes.
Blueprint (our existing themes):
For our existing suite of themes that come with direct access to page templates (including HTML/CSS) and advanced editing functionality (e.g. ability to change header and footer, customize your checkout, and integrate storefront apps like Yotpo), learn more about our existing suite of Blueprint themes:
Learn More About Stencil Themes
- The Stencil Theme Platform
- Opting in to Stencil
- Using the Stencil Theme Editor
- The Bigcommerce Theme Marketplace
- Adding Payment Logos to Stencil Themes
- Removing 'Powered by Bigcommerce' from Stencil Themes
- Adding Custom Scripts to Stencil Themes
- Uploading Custom Themes
Stencil Bigcommerce University Videos
Learn More About Blueprint Themes
- Changing Your Theme
- Using a Custom Logo
- Uploading a Custom Favicon
- Using the Style Editor
- Using the Carousel Builder
- Creating & Editing Banners
- Customizing Email Templates
Blueprint Bigcommerce University Videos
- Design Basics
- Carousel Tips and Tricks
- Design: Website Conversion
- Design: Product Page Conversion
- Branding Your Business
Additional Blueprint Resources
- Bigcommerce Template Files
- Accessing and Customizing Template Files (Blueprint)
- Adding an Image that Appears on Every Page
- Creating Custom Template Files
- Customizing the Built-In Carousel's Fonts
- Customizing Swatch Sizes on Free Bigcommerce Themes
- Removing Page Links from the Header of Free Bigcommerce Themes
- Opening Social Media Links in a New Tab or Window
Get Advice (Blueprint Themes)
Have a specific question or issue? Check out the Themes & Design discussions in our Community. Speak directly to other business owners, Bigcommerce Staff and Partners who specialize in this area. It’s likely someone just like you has already been there.
The modifications shared here are not officially supported by the Bigcommerce Development or Technical Support teams. Bigcommerce cannot guarantee their accuracy and is not responsible for any unintended consequences that may arise from their attempted use. As always, we recommend backing up your current theme customizations before making any changes.
Work With an Agency (Blueprint Only)
Don't feel comfortable adjusting your design? Prefer to work with an expert? Check out our Bigcommerce approved agencies. They are extremely familiar with our platform, and in collaborating with our staff. They're a great place to start as they'll help you plan and execute a design that is tailored to reflect your business, and to best convert your target clientele.