Sell on Amazon
What We'll Cover
- Sign up for Amazon Seller Central
- The new product list
- Managing listings
- Checking and fulfilling orders from Amazon
- Customer experience on Amazon
Amazon is the world’s largest online marketplace and is the starting place for 44% of all online purchases, so making your products available there is an important step for growing your business and promoting your brand.
As part of Channel Manager, BigCommerce makes it easy to start listing your products in this leading marketplace.
Did you know? You can find everything you need to start selling and winning on Amazon in The Definitive Guide to Selling on Amazon. This free publication has some of the most complete and actionable information available and provides useful insight to both new merchants and experienced sellers. It's so complete, even the guide itself is for sale on Amazon!
You can tailor your existing BigCommerce products’ data (like name and price) specifically for listing on Amazon, giving you total control over how your products are featured.
Orders from Amazon show up in your BigCommerce control panel and are fulfilled just like your other orders for optimal workflow. Inventory stock levels are automatically synced between your storefront and Amazon in real time.
Amazon maintains a high standard when it comes to product information, so our integration features streamlined error handling to help identify specific product listing issues quickly and in easy-to-understand terms.
- You must have an Amazon Seller Central account on a Professional Selling Plan.
- You must have a valid bank account. This is so Amazon can pay you for orders placed through their marketplace and you can pay them your monthly subscription fee.
- Only one BigCommerce store can be linked to a single Seller Central account.
- Your store's default currency must be USD.
- You must have shipping to the United States enabled in your shipping settings.
- Currently, only simple products are supported. Products with options/variations will not list to Amazon. Support for products with options/variations is planned for a future update.
- Only physical products are supported. Downloadable/digital products are not supported.
- For products already available in Amazon’s catalog, its standard UPC, EAN or GTIN identifier is required. ASIN is not supported.
- For products not already available in Amazon’s catalog, a unique identifier (MPN or other standard ID) is required.
- Products must have at least one image. The primary image of your product is called the "MAIN" image.
- Images must accurately represent the product and show only the product that's for sale, with minimal or no propping.
- MAIN images must have a pure white background (pure white blends in with the Amazon search and item detail pages - RGB values of 255, 255, 255). A white background for additional images is recommended, but not required.
- MAIN images must show the actual product (not a graphic or illustration), and must NOT show excluded accessories, props that may confuse the customer, text that is not part of the product, or logos/watermarks/inset images.
- The product must fill 85% or more of the image.
- Images should be 1000 pixels or larger in either height or width, as this will enable zoom function on the website (zoom has proven to enhance sales). The smallest your file should be is 500 pixels on the longest side.
- Images should be JPEG (.jpg), or GIF (.gif) file formats. JPEG is preferred.
- A maximum of 8 images is allowed.
- See Adding Images for more information on Amazon product image requirements.
- Products must have a brand defined. This can be set on the product level or in the product listing details page.
- Products must have Track Inventory by Product enabled and have a stock level greater than zero in order to initially list. Amazon listings that run out of stock will show as “Out of Stock” on Amazon.
- Your products must conform to Amazon’s restricted products policies.
- Currently, products can be listed only in these Amazon categories. Additional categories will be available in future updates.
- Arts, Crafts & Sewing
- Beauty & Personal Care
- Health & Household
- Home & Kitchen
- Toys & Games
Third-party inventory management: Third-party apps for inventory or order management that create orders and/or decrement inventory in BigCommerce may not be compatible with our built-in Amazon integration and can result in stock being decremented twice.
Sign Up for Amazon Seller Central
Go to Amazon Seller Central to log in or register a seller account. If you don’t already have one, click Register now, then Start your free trial.
Amazon will guide you through the registration process and will ask you to:
- confirm your display name and business address
- specify a valid credit card to pay your Seller Central membership fee
- verify your identity via a phone call or text message
- configure your tax information
- specify a valid bank account so Amazon can pay you
1. Go to Channel Manager, then click Get Started next to Amazon.
2. Scroll down and check each box to indicate you’ve completed the necessary Seller Central Requirements, then click Get Started.
3. Review the Things you should know popup, then click Connect to Amazon.
- Connecting to Amazon will also enable a newly designed product list view, which enables publishing to multiple channels. If no other integrations that use the new product list are active for your store, disconnecting Amazon will revert you to the previous product list design.
- If you are using third party applications like ShipStation or Ordoro for order or inventory management that create orders or decrement inventory for this integration, product inventory may be decremented twice.
- The new product list does not have the ability to toggle Shopping Comparison feeds or list products on the legacy eBay integration. All legacy eBay inventory and order syncs will continue to occur.
4. You'll be forwarded to Amazon.com to sign into your Seller Central account.
5. Once logged in, review the Amazon MWS License Agreement, check the boxes, then click Next.
6. Click Continue to authorize BigCommerce and return to the BigCommerce control panel.
7. Next, if you've registered your brand(s) with Amazon or have any GTIN exemptions for listing, you can specify those here. BigCommerce cannot check for these automatically, so you'll need to enter them here manually.
8. Under Category Mapping, for Default Category, click Choose a Category. Unmapped categories will default to this category when listing.
Additionally, you can optionally match your BigCommerce categories to their equivalent Amazon categories. This helps ensure your products are listed in the appropriate category. The mapped category can be overridden on the product level by selecting a different one via the Product Listing Details page.
9. When you're done making changes, click Save.
The New Product List
When you set up and enable Amazon in Channel Manager, we’ll automatically upgrade your product list (Products › View in your control panel). The new product list is where you will list and manage all your channel listings. For a full list of its new features and design, see The New Product List.
- Creating listings
- Listing errors and rejected listings
- Listing products in bulk
- Changing active listings
- Hiding listings
1. Go to Products › View and click Storefront › Create Listing next to the product you want to list on Amazon.
2. On the Product Listing Details page, select Amazon under Channels (it will already be selected if Amazon is the only channel enabled in Channel Manager).
Product Listing Category will be set according to the Category Mapping settings you made during setup. Click Change to manually select an Amazon category for the product (this will not affect the product's BigCommerce category).
3. By default, your new Amazon product listing will use the same name, description, brand, and price details your product has in your BigCommerce store.
Optionally, you can override these to be specific to Amazon. These edits are only reflected on Amazon.com — not on your BigCommerce store or other marketplace listings.
4. Depending on the selected Product Listing Category, you may be presented with additional Channel Listing Details required by Amazon. You can also add Bullet Points for your listing here. Click Show all listing details to see any optional/additional fields for this category.
5. Save your changes.
Once saved, your product will show an Amazon status of Pending. After your product has been successfully listed, its listing status will change from Pending to Active.
New and updated listings can take up to 30 minutes to appear on Amazon. Images can take up to 24 hours to appear on Amazon.
Is your BigCommerce product already live on Amazon? Attempting to list a product from BigCommerce will sync your BigCommerce and Amazon catalog for that item (e.g. price, name, stock level updates) provided they share the same identifier (e.g. UPC, EAN, GTIN).
Listing Errors and Rejected ListingsIf your product was rejected, you’ll see X Listing Error(s). Click on it and select Amazon from the Channels drop-down. The Product Listing Details page will report any errors Amazon had while attempting to list the product.
Listing Products in Bulk
1. Go to Products and check each product you want to list on Amazon.
2. Click Bulk Actions, then select List products on channel.
3. Check Amazon, then click Publish products.
Changing Active Listings
1. On the product list page, select Amazon from the Channels drop-down next to a product to go to the Product Listing Details page.
2. Make your changes and Save when finished. Listing updates can take up to 30 minutes to appear on Amazon.
To hide a product from Amazon, check the box next to it and select Hide products on channels from the Bulk Actions drop-down. Check the box next to Amazon, then click Hide products.
Relisting a product? Immediately ending and relisting a product can leave it in an inconsistent state. We recommend waiting at least an hour before attempting to relist an ended product.
Checking Orders from Amazon
Orders received from Amazon are listed on your Orders screen with an Amazon icon.
Order notification emails are controlled and sent from Amazon. Your notification preferences can be changed in your Amazon seller account settings.
When an order status is updated in BigCommerce it is automatically synced to the order at Amazon. Conversely, if an order status is updated at Amazon, its status is automatically updated in BigCommerce. Orders with a "Pending" status at Amazon won't appear in BigCommerce until they update to unshipped/shipped/cancelled.
Below is a list of BigCommerce statuses and their Amazon equivalents. Not all BigCommerce order statuses translate to Amazon order statuses.
* While the "Partially Shipped" status will sync between BigCommerce and Amazon, partial shipments for Amazon orders are not supported in the BigCommerce control panel.
Since billing is handled by Amazon, orders from Amazon come into your BigCommerce control panel with the shipping address also listed as the billing address when looking at the expanded order details.
Amazon does not include the real email address of the customer. Instead, they share an automatically generated anonymous email address. Per Amazon’s policy, this address may not be used for marketing purposes.
Shipments and Refunds
Shipments for orders from Amazon are created the same as orders from the storefront. When a new shipment is created and the order status is updated to Shipped, it typically takes 15-20 minutes for the order status and tracking information to update at Amazon.
Partial shipments for orders from Amazon are not supported, so you won’t be able to modify the quantity shipped when creating shipments for Amazon orders.
Full and partial refunds are managed from your Amazon Seller Central dashboard.
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees? There are no additional fees from BigCommerce, however, orders processed through our Amazon integration are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV and order count, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing. Additionally, Amazon may have additional fees unrelated to the BigCommerce integration.
Customer Experience on Amazon
Once your products are listed on Amazon, the browsing and checkout flows are controlled by Amazon.
If your offering is featured in the “buy box”, your business is listed as the shipper and seller.
If your offering is not featured in the “buy box”, you may be listed as an “Other Seller”.
When a customer purchases one of your products, they will receive an email confirmation from Amazon. All order emails are handled by Amazon.
Your new Amazon order is brought into your BigCommerce control panel, and they’re shipped the same as you would any other order that comes in through your storefront. BigCommerce will update the order’s status on Amazon when you create a shipment or change the order status.
- Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
- How long does it take for my listing to appear on Amazon?
- Can I create FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) listings?
- How do I refund an Amazon order?
- What happens with my existing Seller Central listings?
- Can I customize my listings specifically for Amazon?
- Are custom override attributes importable (via CSV)?
- If my product has variants/options, will the base product still list?
- Can I process partial shipments?
- I’m an international merchant, can I still list on Amazon with BigCommerce?
- Are there plans to integrate with Amazon.ca / Amazon.com.au / Amazon.eu in the future?
- Can I offer gift wrapping on Amazon listings?
- Can I tell which shipping method a buyer chose from my BigCommerce orders screen?
- Can I use more than one BigCommerce store with my Seller Central account?
- Can I hide a product on my storefront but still list it on Amazon?
- Can I… with the new product list?
Does this affect my pricing? Are there any additional fees?
There are no additional fees from BigCommerce, however, orders processed through our Amazon integration are included in your store's trailing 12-month GMV and order count, which can affect your BigCommerce plan's pricing. Additionally, Amazon may have additional fees unrelated to the BigCommerce integration.
How long does it take for my listing to appear on Amazon?
It can take up to 30 minutes for your new or updated listings to appear on Amazon.
Can I create FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) listings?
Not at this time.
How do I refund an Amazon order?
Full and partial refunds are documented and managed in your Amazon Seller Central account.
What happens with my existing Seller Central listings?
If an order is received from Amazon and the product does not already exist in your BigCommerce store, we will create a placeholder for it. This is for order management purposes. These products do not have a stock level and therefore any order cancellations made for these orders in BC will not increment stock at Seller Central. Currently, this must be managed manually from your Seller Central account.
Can I customize my listings specifically for Amazon?
Yes. Name, description, brand, and price can all be customized at the product level for listing on Amazon.
Are custom override attributes importable (via CSV)?
Not yet, but this functionality is planned as part of a future update.
If my product has variants/options, will the base product still list?
No. The product will not list at all if it has variants/options.
Can I process partial shipments?
Not yet, but this is planned for a future release. The Quantity Shipped field is disabled when creating shipments for orders from Amazon.
I’m an international merchant, can I still list on Amazon with BigCommerce?
Yes, provided your store’s default currency is USD and you’ve enabled shipping to the United States.
Are there plans to integrate with Amazon.ca / Amazon.com.au / Amazon.eu in the future?
Current plans are to release support for Amazon EU, then iterate other markets according to merchant demand.
Can I offer gift wrapping on Amazon listings?
Yes. Gift wrapping options are set on a product-by-product basis and is managed from your Seller Central account.
Can I tell which shipping method a buyer chose from my BigCommerce orders screen?
Not yet, but this is planned for a future release.
Can I use more than one BigCommerce store with my Seller Central account?
No. Only one BigCommerce store can be connected to one Seller Central account at a time.
Can I hide a product on my storefront but still list it on Amazon?
Yes. A product's Visible setting in BigCommerce doesn't affect its ability to be listed or availability on Amazon.
Can I… with the new product list?
Future planned improvements for the new product list include:
- view and sort products by channel
- more channel listing options (i.e. Facebook, Pinterest)
- custom product listing details by channel (price, name, description, brand, condition) will be importable via CSV and assignable via API