What is SEO
SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is the process of increasing the number of visitors to a website by achieving high rank in the search results of a search engine. The higher a website ranks in search results, the greater the chance users will visit the site. This means more potential sales for you!
Why SEO Is Important
Although Bigcommerce has a lot of things working for you, you’ll need to earn your spot in search engine rankings and are responsible for maintaining it. So, whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned ecommerce veteran, SEO will always play a vital role in the success of your online business.
How SEO Works
Potential customers find your business by going to the internet, typing words into a search box, and clicking on what search engines deem most relevant. In order to deliver the more relevant web pages to searching, search engines work to learn about the structure and overall content on your site so they may rank them accordingly.
Bigcommerce University Videos
- How SEO Works | Bigcommerce University
- SEO Keywords: Getting Started | Bigcommerce University
- SEO Keywords: Researching | Bigcommerce University
- SEO Keywords: Research Tools | Bigcommerce University
- Image Descriptions | Bigcommerce University
- Creating Content | Bigcommerce University
- Using Page Titles and Meta Descriptions
- Product Descriptions Best Practices
- Category Descriptions Best Practices
- Optimizing Your Images
- Optimizing Your Design
- Using Microdata to Improve Search Results
- Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Blogging Best Practices
- Basic Keyword Research
- Advanced Keyword Research
- 301 Redirects
- URL Structure Settings
- URL Parameters and Duplicate Content
- Community Advice: Google Shopping Best Practices
- Community Advice: E-Commerce Tips For Creating and Managing Adwords Campaigns
Have a specific question or issue? Check out the SEO discussions in our Community Forum. Post your question and speak directly to other business owners, Bigcommerce Staff and Partners who specialize in this area. It's likely someone just like you has already been there.
The modifications shared here are not officially supported by the Bigcommerce Development or Technical Support teams. Bigcommerce cannot guarantee their accuracy and is not responsible for any unintended consequences that may arise from their attempted use. As always, we recommend backing up your current theme customizations before making any changes.
- Submitting a custom (non-Bigcommerce) generated sitemap
- Using the full category path in H1 tags
- Bigcommerce SEO Checklist
Work with an Agency
Check out our Bigcommerce approved agencies, as they are familiar with our platform and working with our staff. They're a great place to start as they'll help you plan and execute SEO while discussing other advertising strategies to grow your traffic — fast!