Your product catalog is often the top priority when building and maintaining your store. In this article, we’ll briefly cover all of the tools available for creating and showcasing products in your store, and provide you with the resources you need to take advantage of them.
This article covers the v3 product creation experience. See our Guide to v2 Products for information on the legacy v2 experience.
The first step in managing your product catalog in BigCommerce is to build your products or relocate an existing catalog to your control panel. You can create products using any of the following methods:
- Creating products in the control panel
- Adding products in bulk via CSV import
- Making API requests to create products
- Transferring products from an existing BigCommerce store
- Migrating products from another ecommerce platform
See Adding Products to Your Store for a description and comparison of each product creation method.
A product’s options are the different varieties or customizations that your shoppers can choose from, such as the size and color combinations of a shirt or personalized labeling on a coffee mug.
In the Products v3 experience, product options are divided into variants and modifiers. Variants are distinct versions of a particular product, whereas modifiers operate like an add-on to an existing product or variant. For a full comparison of these option types, see Variants and Modifiers.
Product attributes are the different information fields that you can specify when adding or editing a product, such as physical dimensions, images, and SEO information. See Introduction to Products for a comprehensive overview of the available attributes, or refer to the list below for information on specific attributes, organized by their sections in the Add Product page.
- Product visibility on the storefront (checkbox)
- Basic information, such as name, SKU, brand, and categories
- The product’s detailed description
- Images and videos
- Downloadable files for digital products
- Product identifiers like UPC and GTIN
- Pricing fields, such as sale price and bulk discounts
- Tax fields for charging product-specific tax rates
- Inventory tracking and stock levels
- “Featured” toggle for assigning products to the homepage Featured panel
- Storefront search keywords
- Sort order assignment
- Custom product HTML template files
- Product quality details such as condition, warranty information, and how long it typically takes to ship.
- Custom fields
- Related products
- Weight and physical dimensions
- Fixed shipping price and product-level free shipping
- Advanced shipping fields for ShipperHQ
- Purchasability settings
- Minimum and maximum purchase quantity
- Gift wrapping options
- Customs information used in conjunction with cross-border fulfillment apps
SEO & Sharing
Managing Products in the Control Panel
To view and edit your existing products, go to Products › View. Depending on your store’s configuration, your control panel will use one of the following product lists:
- Single-channel list — This product list is the default if you haven’t enabled any additional sales or storefront channels.
- Multi-channel list — If you’ve set up an external channel in Channel Manager, such as Amazon or WordPress, this product list is automatically applied to your control panel.
- Multi-Storefront list — If you are using Multi-Storefront (MSF), this product list allows you to manage your global and storefront-specific products in one place.
From your product list, you can perform actions on individual products such as toggling visibility or customizing the product page in Page Builder. Additionally, you can select multiple products to edit them in bulk or export them to a CSV file.
Upon creation, each product has its own display page in the storefront where customers can view its details and add it to the cart. You can manage the following aspects of the product display page:
- Display Settings — Toggle visibility of certain attributes like SKU and weight, define how variant prices are displayed, configure product breadcrumb display depth, and enable or disable the Add to Cart button on product thumbnails.
- Wish Lists — Allow customers with storefront accounts to curate lists of products they are interested in, which you can view and take action on.
- Product Reviews — Customers can rate and review your products, which you can approve and display on your product pages.
The following features are available for product thumbnails on listing pages:
- Quick View — Display basic product details in a window without directing customers away from the page they are viewing.
- Product Comparison — Allow customers to view details like price and descriptions side by side for two or more products.
- Product Panels — Showcase new and popular products on the homepage, or curate a list of related or add-on products on your product pages.
- Product Filtering — In stores on a Pro or Enterprise plan, customers can filter products by their attributes, such as price range, brand, and custom fields.