Connecting with PayPal Express
PayPal Express is a payment gateway offering from PayPal that features a quick setup process, the ability to pay with a PayPal account, and a PayPal button on the cart. Also, our integration includes In-Context Checkout, a checkout window that pops up on your store's cart page and "Add to cart" pop-up that allows customers to pay with PayPal without being redirected to a new PayPal page.
PayPal Express is available to stores operating in the listed countries.
Setting up PayPal Express
BigCommerce's integration with PayPal Express can be configured in just a few clicks.
1. Go to Store Setup › Payments.
2. Click the plus (+) icon next to Other Online Payment Methods.
3. Click Set up next to PayPal Express Checkout.
4. You will be brought to a PayPal Express Checkout Settings tab. Click Connect with PayPal to set up or log into your existing PayPal account.
5. You will be asked to grant BigCommerce permission to connect to your PayPal account. Click Grant Permission to continue.
6. You will be redirected to your PayPal Express Checkout Settings tab in BigCommerce. Click Save to complete setup.
You will notice a Sandbox email address field and a Connect with PayPal Express Sandbox button.
These can be used to connect your Sandbox PayPal business account, should you have one. The sandbox can be utilized as a testing environment without touching a live PayPal account. See, PayPal's PayPal Sandbox Testing Guide for more information.
Need to connect to a different account? Switching off PayPal Express Checkout will clear your account settings, allowing you to log in using a different email address.
Enabling PayPal Credit
PayPal Credit lets customers buy now and pay over time. This feature means that the shopper will owe the money to PayPal while you, the merchant, always get paid. To enable PayPal Credit as an option on the cart and checkout, go to Store Setup › Payments.
This feature only works on Optimize One-Page Checkout. For PayPal Credit to show, make sure your checkout is set to Optimized One-Page Checkout.
1. Follow the steps above to enable PayPal Express.
2. Click the PayPal Express tab.
3. Toggle 'Enable PayPal Credit'. The pay with PayPal Credit will now appear as an option in the cart, during checkout and in the "add to cart" confirmation window.
In-Context Checkout helps improve conversion rates by offering an easier way for customers to pay. It offers the following features to help speed customers through checkout:
- Simplified flow — Customers click the PayPal button in the shopping cart, login and approve the order within a PayPal pop-up, then submit the order from BigCommerce.
- Easy to buy from a mobile device — The simplified design removes hard-to-read text and buttons, and customers do not need to enter shipping or billing details since they are stored in PayPal.
- No forms with OneTouch — The integration of PayPal OneTouch means repeat customers will not have to log into PayPal every time they buy.
The in-context PayPal Express checkout flow is activated from the cart page and the quick-cart modal. Shoppers who have already filled out their billing and shipping details on the checkout page will be directed to the traditional PayPal Express experience.
How can the in-context PayPal Express help my business?
The in-context PayPal Express can help increase your store's conversions by offering your shoppers a quick checkout experience with minimal forms or logins.
Benefits for Merchants
- Keep buyers on your store instead of being redirected to PayPal — Minimize the risk of buyers changing their mind once they are in your store.
- Simplified design — This keeps buyers focused on what matters most: completing purchases quickly in one or two clicks.
- Consistent experience across devices — Deliver a trusted PayPal experience on PCs, tablets, or smartphones; to make mobile shopping familiar and faster
Benefits for Shoppers
- Fewer forms to fill out, since PayPal transfers shipping and billing details to BigCommerce
- Complete purchases in just a few clicks, even on smartphones and tablets
- Don't need to log into PayPal, since OneTouch keeps track of users
- Secure checkout from a trusted, well-known payment gateway
Why isn't my store showing In-Context Checkout?
Your store may still be showing the traditional PayPal window instead of the in-context window for one of the following reasons:
- Your theme is supported by a party other than BigCommerce, and may not include the in-context experience by default.
- You have made customizations to the cart page, specifically CartContent.html.
If your store is not displaying in-context PayPal Express, please contact your third-party theme designer or the developer who made edits to the cart page.