Importing Product SKUs
The most efficient way to update your inventory levels or to add SKU dimensions is by importing your product SKUs all at once. A SKU import involves having all of your SKUs in a CSV file, and the best way to generate this file is by exporting your existing SKUs using the SKU Inventory Management template or by using the sample template provided below.
This template contains only basic product information, so if you are relying on the product name or other details, we recommend using a product import. See Importable Fields for a list of fields that are included in the SKU Inventory Management template.
Once they have been exported, you can then edit the CSV as a spreadsheet and import your changes. Alternatively, you can use a third-party CSV, such as one supplied by your vendor, and manually map the column headings during import. Note that the maximum SKUs a product can have is 600.
Importing Product SKUs
Before starting, make sure that you have a backup of your SKUs. Since the import will adjust all of your SKU data, you want to have a backup copy in case you need to revert the changes.
Your SKU import file must have the following fields when updating your SKUs.
- Product SKU — the product's/variant's stock-keeping unit
- Stock Level — number of units for a particular product or variant
1. Go to Products › Import Product SKUs.
You will see the following options in the File Details section:
- Import File: Upload a file from my computer — Choose this option if the CSV file you wish to upload is located on your computer. Files can be up to 512 MB.
- Import File: Use a file already on the server — If you have a larger file or a slow internet connection, you can connect to WebDAV and save your file to the import_files folder, then select this option. Files can be up to 512 MB.
- Contains Headers? — Does the file contain column headings? If so, leave this box checked.
- Field Separator — In non-spreadsheet CSVs, what punctuation is used to separate the fields?
- Field Enclosure — In non-spreadsheet CSVs, what punctuation is used to tie phrases together (e.g. "Socks and Shoes")?
You can typically leave the File Details settings at their default values. They are there if you need to specify import settings for non-spreadsheet CSV files.
2. Upload the file you want to import, then click Next.
3. In the Link Import Fields screen, make sure your columns are matched to its similar setting in BigCommerce. For example, your vendor may use Item SKU as a column header instead of Product SKU. This mapping will not be necessary if you are using the SKU Inventory Management template.
4. Click Next after you have mapped your fields.
5. Click Start Import to begin importing your products. When the import is complete, you will see an import summary. Click More Information to see any warnings generated during the import.
Below is a table of all fields that are importable via the CSV using the SKU Inventory Management template. Fields in bold are required.
See Manually Added Fields for a list of fields that are not included in the SKU Inventory Management template but can still be added manually and re-imported.
|Product SKU||Stock-keeping unit number used for inventory tracking||Alphanumeric|
|Product UPC/EAN||Product's UPC or GTIN (Global Trade Item Number)||Alphanumeric|
|Stock Level||Number of units in stock (only applies if tracking inventory)||Numbers only|
|Product Width||Your product's/variant's width for calculating shipping||Numbers only; no units|
|Product Height||Your product's/variant's height for calculating shipping||Numbers only; no units|
|Product Depth||Your product's/variant's depth for calculating shipping||Numbers only; no units|
|Free Shipping||If applied, your product or variant will ship internationally for free (overrides any other shipping settings)||Y = free shipping enabled; N = not enabled|
|Fixed Shipping Cost||The price to internationally ship one unit of your product or variant (overrides any other shipping settings)||Numbers only; no units|
Manually Added Fields
The following fields are not included in the SKU Inventory Management template by default but can be added manually. They will also be matched automatically in the Link Import Fields screen.
|Product Weight||Product or Variant weight (physical only)||Numbers only; no units|