Importing Product Categories
What We'll Cover
Creating or updating categories via the API? For information on creating and editing category information via the API, see our API documentation.
A category is created when it is listed in the Category column when importing a product. If it is listed by itself, it will be created as a top-level category.
File imports are case-sensitive — if you list a category with different capitalization, it will create two different categories (e.g. "Cats" and "cats").
If your product category contains a
/ character, use
\/ instead to avoid creating subcategories. For example, if you want to create a category labeled
Sweaters/Hoodies, it should be formatted as
Need an example? You may find it useful to reference a sample template. Click the following link to save the file to your computer.
If your product belongs to multiple categories, they should be separated with a semi-colon (;) without a space.
- Example: Womens;Sale
If your product belongs to a subcategory, list both the parent category and the subcategory, separated by a forward slash (/).
- Example: Accessories/Watches
- Example: Accessories/Watches; Accessories/Jewelry (for a product in two subcategories of the same parent)
- Example: Accessories/Watches; Accessories/Jewelry; Sale/Accessories (for a product in two subcategories of different parents)
Listing the subcategory by itself will create an additional top-level category by that name.
- What is a CSV file and how do I save my spreadsheet as one?
- Importing Products
- Updating Products Using Import/Export
- Creating New Products Using Import/Export
- Backing Up Your Store