How do I transfer products from one store to another?
You may find a need to transfer products from one BigCommerce store to another. For example, you may want a duplicate store for testing design changes, or to serve a different region.
To transfer your products from Store A to Store B, you will need to create a custom product export template. You will export your product information from Store A and import it to Store B. There are a few product attributes that cannot be transferred.
- Bulk discount pricing
- Configurable fields (custom fields will transfer)
- Option set rules (product rules will transfer)
- Options without any product rules/SKUs attached
Note that the products must remain live in Store A for the entire process, since Store B will need to reference the images from Store A.
Creating a Custom Export Template
The following custom template will transfer products and their images from Store A to Store B.
1. In Store A's control panel, click on Advanced Settings › Export Templates.
2. Click the Choose an Action drop-down next to the Bulk Edit template and select Create a Copy.
3. Rename the copy to Transfer Products (or something to that effect).
4. Click on the Products tab at the top of the page.
5. Uncheck the following fields:
- Product ID
- Product Image ID (under the Product Images section)
- Product Image Path (under the Product Images section)
6. Check Product Image URL (under the Product Images section). Then change the name from Product Image URL to Product Image File. This is case-sensitive and cannot have any blank spaces before or after.
7. Save your changes.
Exporting from Store A
1. Go to Products › Export.
2. For Template, choose your custom export file.
3. Click Continue.
4. A pop-up will appear. Click Export my products to a CSV File.
5. You will see a progress bar as your products are generated. When it is complete, click Download my Products File. It will save to the location preset in your browser, normally the Downloads folder.
Importing to Store B
1. In Store B's control panel, click on Products › Import.
2. Check the box next to Bulk Edit Re-import?.
3. Next to Import File, click Choose File (or Browse) and select your exported product file.
4. Click Next.
5. Click Next again, then Start Import.
6. When your file finishes importing, click View Imported Products to see your products. Review them to make sure all of their data has transferred over.