Transferring Products from One BigCommerce Store to Another
Once your products have been created in one BigCommerce store, they can be moved/copied to another BigCommerce store without the need to create them again. Some common reasons for copying products from one BigCommerce store to another include:
- You're moving products from a pre-launch environment (sandbox store) to a production environment (live store).
- You want to duplicate a catalog to another store to help test design changes or customizations.
- You want to clone a store’s catalog for use by another storefront.
This article will detail each step in the process, but basically, you will create a custom export template at the source store, export the source store’s products using the custom template, then import the products into the destination store.
Migrating from another platform or service? Check out our free catalog transfer apps to help automate the process. We also offer in-house catalog transfer services for 18 ecommerce platforms. For more information about what we transfer, service specifics, and to request a demo, see Ecommerce Catalog Migration Services.
Certain product attributes cannot be transferred:
- Bulk discount pricing
- Swatch options
- Option set rules (product rules will transfer)
- Option variants without SKUs defined/attached
Creating a Custom Export Template
1. In the source store's control panel, go to Advanced Settings › Export Templates.
2. Click the Choose an Action drop-down next to the Bulk Edit template and select Create a Copy.
3. Rename the copy to Transfer Products (or something similar).
4. Click on the Products tab at the top of the page.
5. Uncheck the following fields:
- Product ID
- Product Image ID (under the Product Images section)
- Product Image Path (under the Product Images section)
6. Check Product Image URL (under the Product Images section). Then change the name from Product Image URL to Product Image File. The title is case-sensitive and cannot have any blank spaces before or after.
7. Save your changes.
Exporting from the Source Store
1. Go to Products › Export.
2. For Template, choose your custom export file.
3. Click Continue.
4. A pop-up will appear. Click Export my products to a CSV File.
5. You will see a progress bar as your products are generated. When it is complete, click Download my Products File. It will save to the location preset in your browser (usually the Downloads folder).
Importing to the Destination Store
1. In the destination store's control panel, go to Products › Import.
2. Check the box next to File was exported using the 'Bulk Edit' template.
3. Next to Import File, click Choose File (or Browse) and select your exported product file.
4. Click Next.
5. Click Next again, then Start Import.
6. When your file finishes importing, click View Imported Products. Review them to make sure all data has transferred over.
Transferring Downloadable Products' Files
For stores with downloadable products, some additional steps are necessary (in addition to the above) to successfully transfer product files. The source store must remain live (not Down for Maintenance) during the import process so the destination store can access and download the files.
When making your custom export template...
1. Uncheck Product File (under the Product Files section).
2. Check Product File Path. Then change the name from Product File Path to just Product File. This is case-sensitive and cannot have any blank spaces before or after. Be sure to save your changes when you’re done.
Before you import to the destination store...
1. Connect to the source store using WebDAV.
2. Once connected, download/save the product_downloads folder to your computer. This will take time depending on the number and size of files.
3. Connect to the destination store using WebDAV.
4. Drag and drop (or copy) the contents of the source store’s exported product_downloads folder into the destination store’s product_downloads folder.
5. Once the transfer is complete, you can import your products from the destination store’s control panel.