Using Gmail for BigCommerce Email
If BigCommerce is hosting your email, you can use Gmail as your email client to access and send emails from your BigCommerce email account. Gmail is a great webmail option since it's accessible from anywhere with an internet connection and has advanced filtering and spam protection features.
To set up Gmail as your email client, use the steps below to access your email settings and create a POP account in Gmail. You will also need to update your store's SPF record, which authorizes Gmail to send email on your account.
Getting Your BigCommerce Email Settings
To set up Gmail as an email client, you will need to get the following settings from BigCommerce. All of these can be found under Server Settings › Email Accounts.
- Your email account
- Password — the password for your email account
- Incoming Mail Server — listed under Action › Account Details
- Outgoing Mail Server — listed under Action › Account Details
Setting Up Gmail
1. Log in to Gmail or create an account if you do not have one.
2. Click on the Gear icon in the top right corner and choose Settings.
3. Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
4. Click Add a POP3 mail account you own.
4. You will get a pop-up prompting you for your email address. Enter your BigCommerce email address and click Next Step.
5. Enter the following details for your account:
- E-mail Address — your BigCommerce email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Username — your full email address (e.g. email@example.com)
- Password — the password for your BigCommerce email account
- POP Server — Incoming Server Details
- Port: 995
In addition, select Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail.
After entering your details, select Add Account button.
6. Select Yes, I want to be able to send mail as, then click Next Step.
7. Enter the name that you want the email to be marked as coming from, then click Next Step.
8. Enter the SMTP settings for your BigCommerce email account.
- SMTP Server — your Outgoing Server Details
- Username — your BigCommerce email address
- Password — the password for your BigCommerce email address
Select Secured connection using SSL.
9. Click Send Verification. The verification email may take up to half an hour to arrive in your Gmail account's inbox.
10. Open the confirmation email. You can either the link in the email to verify or copy the code.
If you copied the code from the email, paste it into the box and click Verify.
Adding an SPF Record
1. In your BigCommerce Control Panel select, go to Server Settings › DNS records, then click on the Web Hosts tab.
2. Edit the TXT record and add the following to the end: include:_spf.google.com
The full record should read: v=spf1 +a +mx include:_spf.bigcommerce.com include:_spf.google.com ~all