Using Gmail for BigCommerce Email
If BigCommerce is hosting your email, you can use Gmail as your email client to access and send emails from your BigCommerce email account. Gmail is a great webmail option since it's accessible from anywhere with an internet connection and has advanced filtering and spam protection features.
To set up Gmail as your email client, use the steps below to access your email settings and create a POP account in Gmail. You will also need to update your store's SPF record, which authorizes Gmail to send email on your account.
Did you know? Only stores created before March 16, 2015 have the option to host email through BigCommerce. If your store was created after that date, see Setting Up Email Services for information on using Google as your email host.
Getting Your BigCommerce Email Settings
To set up Gmail as an email client, you will need to get the following settings from BigCommerce. All of these can be found under Server Settings › Email Accounts.
- Your email account
- Password — the password for your email account
- Incoming Mail Server — listed under Action › Account Details
- Outgoing Mail Server — listed under Action › Account Details
Setting Up Gmail
1. Log in to Gmail or create an account if you do not have one.
2. Click on the Gear icon in the top right and choose Settings.
3. Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
4. Click Add a mail account.
5. You will get a pop-up prompting you for your email address. Enter your BigCommerce email address then click Next.
6. Select Import emails from my other account (POP3) and click Next.
7. Enter the following details for your account, then click Add Account.
- Username — your full email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password — the password for your BigCommerce email account
- POP Server — Incoming Server details
- Port — 995
- Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail — Checked
8. Select Yes, I want to be able to send mail as... and click Next.
9. For Name, enter your name as you'd like it to appear on outgoing messages, and specify if you'd like the address treated as an alias. Click Next Step.
10. Enter the SMTP settings for your BigCommerce email account then click Add Account.
- SMTP Server — Outgoing Server details
- Port — 465
- Username — our BigCommerce email address
- Password — the password for your BigCommerce email address
- Secured connection using SSL (recommended) — selected
11. Next, you'll be asked to confirm your address. Check your Gmail inbox - you'll receive a message from Gmail Team with subject Gmail Confirmation - Send Mail as [your email address]. Click the confirmation link in the message to finish setting up your account.
Alternatively, you can manually copy and paste the confirmation code back into Gmail to complete setup.
Adding an SPF Record
1. In your BigCommerce control panel select, go to Server Settings › DNS records, then click on the Web Hosts tab.
2. Edit the TXT record and add the following to the end: include:_spf.google.com
The full record should read: v=spf1 +a +mx include:_spf.bigcommerce.com include:_spf.google.com ~all