Uploading and Linking to a File in Your Store
What We'll Cover
There may be instances where you want to provide a free download in your store, such as a free e-book, size chart or assembly instructions. You can upload a variety of file types including images, documents and PDF files. This article covers how to first upload the file, then link to it via a Web Page or the WYSIWYG editor.
Uploading a File
1. Connect to your store via WebDAV.
2. Double-click on the content folder.
In webDAV you can create subfolders in the content folder to keep things organized. It will change the link to include the subfolder: /content/subfolder/filename.pdf
3. Drag and drop your file into the content folder. You may be prompted to re-enter your password. In our example, we're using "FileName.pdf".
Keep in mind that when creating a link in the steps below, the filename is case-sensitive and should have no spaces. You can rename the file after uploading it.
Now that you uploaded the file, there needs to be a way for your customers to access it. Below are the steps to link to the file in various locations.
Using a Web Page to Link to a File
This will place a link in the site's navigation to the free download.
1. Go to Storefront Content › Web Pages, then click the Create a Web Page button.
2. For This Page Will, select Link to another website or document.
3. Name the page, and enter the location of the file.
4. Save your changes. Your file link will appear in your site's navigation menu.
Using the WYSIWYG Editor to Link to a File
The WYSIWYG Editor is available when creating a webpage or editing a product description.
1. Edit the product or web page content that you are adding the link to.
2. In the Description or Page Content WYSIWYG Editor, highlight the text that will link to the file. Then click the Link button.
3. In the Link URL field, enter the location of the file.
4. Click Insert when finished. The linked text will now be blue and underlined.
If you need to edit your link, click on it, then click the Link button.
5. Save your changes.
Using HTML to Link to a File
If you are comfortable with code, you can edit HTML via the WYSIWYG when you click the HTML button.
Where else can I edit HTML? Besides the WYSIWYG Editor you are able to edit Blueprint Template Themes.
To link to your file using HTML, copy and paste the following code:
Replace "FileName.pdf" with your actual file name, and "linked text" with your text.